Author Topic: Mod Reviews 1st installment: EoD  (Read 641 times)

Offline Chariot

• Rememberer of the unremembered
    • View Profile
Mod Reviews 1st installment: EoD
« on: 21-08-2010, 17:08:15 »
I will write one each week. Next week: XWW2
Overview:
Eve of Destruction(EoD) A mod for BF1942, BF Vietnam, and BF2 that takes place in the Vietnam war.

Reviews
BF1942: It brought the game to a whole new level. Adding new vehicles, weapons, and maps effectively portraying Vietnam. The gameplay was nice but, A lot more of the same. I did enjoy the new enviornment though.
8/10

BF Vietnam: By far the best version of the mod in my opinion. Iron sights, new maps, and new weapons. Much better gameplay then in the regular game itself. Sadly, it seems this version didnt get the attention it deserved
9/10

BF2: In my opinion this was the worst installment in the series. Yes, it had everything the the BF Vietnam version had but i dont think this version lived up to its full potential. There was barly any reciol and some of the vehicles were not made/codded very well. There is hope though. PR Vietnam will most likly be what this mod was ment to be and i await its arrival.
7/10

« Last Edit: 21-08-2010, 17:08:24 by Chariot »
« Last Edit: Today at 18:07:17 by Chariot »
Also known as HMS Campbeltown

Anyone who supports the UN is a closet totalitarian and most likely supports a one world government which will enslave us all.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Reviews 1st installment: EoD
« Reply #1 on: 21-08-2010, 17:08:17 »
BF1942: It brought the game to a whole new level. Adding new vehicles, weapons, and maps effectively portraying Vietnam. The gameplay was nice but, A lot more of the same. I did enjoy the new enviornment though.
8/10

Was such a great mod. I think it was one of the best mods for BF42. I played it a lot and loved every single bit of it. Downside was that its community shrunk quickly and the last servers that ran it kept on playing same maps all the time and that mod had just insane amount of good maps. It was so unfortunate to see it die a very slow death. I agree on the score you've given.

BF Vietnam: By far the best version of the mod in my opinion. Iron sights, new maps, and new weapons. Much better gameplay then in the regular game itself. Sadly, it seems this version didnt get the attention it deserved
9/10

I never liked BFV and hardly even played it. And what goes to EOD for BFV I honestly never looked at it. I never tried it. So I cant give an opinion about it.

BF2: In my opinion this was the worst installment in the series. Yes, it had everything the the BF Vietnam version had but i dont think this version lived up to its full potential. There was barly any reciol and some of the vehicles were not made/codded very well. There is hope though. PR Vietnam will most likly be what this mod was ment to be and i await its arrival.
6/10

EOD2 is simply awesome. I've had loads of fun in that mod playing it on coop with Eat Uranium. Even playing it against humans on that one SWIZZ' event was a blast. Heck it is arcade as anything but it is still the best Vietnam dosage I can get whenever I need one. Since I dont have BF42 installed, I rely on EOD2 to get my fix and it works out very well too. Sure it is quite rough on the edges and ugly in some cases but meh, doesnt bother me at all. I cant agree or even digest the insultive tone that you have towards the mod regarding PR Vietnam mod (no offense even if you havent got that tone, I just pick it up as so). It is like PR is the saviour of everything and I always find that mod so fucking boring as can possibly be. But I too am looking forward to PR's Vietnam rendition. Maybe they actually get a playable mod out of it with their usually boring gimmicks. To me, EOD2 is as fine as it is, only beef I got with it is with the server provides. They could host so many other coop maps in their rotations but yet we always play the same ones. Getting the same sort of vibe out of this as what happened with EOD on BF42. Dont agree on the score, I'd give it 8 aswell.

Offline Chariot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-08-2010, 17:08:04 »
part of the '6' rating was because of maps crashing and that it was too arcade for my likeing , the highest i can give it is '7'

Anyone who supports the UN is a closet totalitarian and most likely supports a one world government which will enslave us all.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-08-2010, 17:08:00 »
Maybe maps crashing is also the reason why the coop server we keep playing on only runs the same maps over and over.

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-08-2010, 17:08:47 »
I never found strategy in EOD2, like all it was just spraying and praying bushes and I died every 2 seconds, not like EOD42 where I could move through race paddies and shoot helicopters and not be afraid of getting owned every two seconds

Offline Chariot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21-08-2010, 17:08:24 »
the maps crashed whenever the player entered the mortors. On EoD2, i didnt play all of the maps, but the ones i did play seemed too 'open'.
« Last Edit: 21-08-2010, 17:08:08 by Chariot »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21-08-2010, 17:08:54 »
Oh then its not that. Since we can enter mortars just fine and they dont crash clients nor servers. And too open maps? Oh I suggest you redownload the mod sometime and go on =SBB= (If that was the server called) coop server and see through a selection of maps. They run from island maps to fields and tense jungles. Jungles especially are exciting since the bots see you and you cant see them, so you might be making your way through the foliage and thinking that it is just too quiet for your liking and the same instant the bots open up on you and you have no bloody idea where they are, so you spray lead to the general direction of their tracers.  ;D

How many times we've screamed out strong words when being shot at by dozens of bots simultaneously.  :P
« Last Edit: 21-08-2010, 17:08:58 by Flippy Warbear »

Offline Chariot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21-08-2010, 17:08:55 »
might have been on certain maps

Offline Seth_Soldier

• Developer
  • "Mort aux cons !"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21-08-2010, 17:08:24 »
EOD2 is awesome ! One of the best bf2 experience imo.
When the flash light happen and you see very far your ennemy :P

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21-08-2010, 18:08:59 »
EOD2 is just too arcade-y for its own good after you've grown too accustomed to FH2. I mean, a human being needs several 57mm AA shells in the torso to die? You can blast a Huey for half an hour with the good ol' "Sergei" (twin 23mm) and nothing happens? Tanks have only one type of ammunition and take five hits to die? Gimme FH2:Vietnam instead, please. OK, there will be PR:V, but it will still be PR, where officers "realistically" pull firebases out of their arseholes and you can't hit a target you have been aiming for half a day.

Though, in the SWIZZ event, it was proven that EOD2 is nevertheless a lot of fun, and some of the maps are awesome. Plus you can't go wrong with a game where the chopper copilot can play Ride of the Valkyries. But I can only imagine how fun it would have been with FH2 style gameplay.