Poll

do you want a supression effects that last longer ?

yes
52 (51.5%)
no
18 (17.8%)
2.0 like
31 (30.7%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Author Topic: supression effect  (Read 8789 times)

Offline Dee-Jay

• View Profile
Re: supression effect
« Reply #15 on: 22-10-2009, 12:10:23 »
I find the ringing sound rather annoying but I don't mind the blurry vision if it doesn't happen to often. Machine Guns should have this effect, if they are made less accurate.

I'm not sure what suppression was like in FH2 so I just voted "yes".

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22-10-2009, 13:10:54 »
The problem is that not all devs like heavy supression effect and since they once agreed on what we have now (long debates were taken on internal forum) it is very unlikely that something will change in that department (at least not soon). Anyway I'm a big supporter of increasing said effect at least a bit more. Voted 'yes'.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22-10-2009, 13:10:21 »
Voted for yes too, I'd love a nice significant suppression effect.
Apart from that: what Kubador said.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22-10-2009, 13:10:50 »
Yes for longer and stronger suppression and at least some of it for every bullet and explosion.

No to frame-based timing, yes to actual time elapsed.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22-10-2009, 16:10:41 »
2.0 suppression and minor suppression from rifles ftw.
I concur.  2.0 like supression effects but tweaked a bit so that each bullet near your supress for a split second. Thus a single rifle impact near you gives you a barely noticable supression, an SMG like impact surely makes you duck away and a proper MG will make you hit the dirt and stay there, crawling away to a safe position (for flanking opertunity and such).  W

hich would mean "weapon firing on your position dead ahead means you are going to wish to stay in cover or risk a quick didge across something like a road and jump behind the nearest cover to leap from cover to cover till you can engage the enemy. ".   I'd be very pleased if the suppresion affect would be coded to allow for this.

PS:  I believe suppresion should be seen as a compromised solution to represent you getting disoriented by enemy fire. A rifle  roundimpacting near your head might not actually "blur" your vision but it sure would make you turn away your head/body.   But having your head be turned down and away (a  forced short bend/crouch and camera looking at the ground)  would be a bit extreme for a game.

The suppression effect in 2.0 had a wee bit too large radius for my opinion. But the way it is in 2.2 I'd much much rather see it as it was in 2.0

From a game design point of view, I'd like to keep this effect like it is, only on MG's and Supportive Automatic Rifles, giving them a bit more role in the game than just being a MG. As in, if you want to suppress the enemy or give covering fire effectively, you need to have an MG with you.
If you'd enable a minor effect for rifles aswell and let them stack a squad of rifle men could supress the the enemy aswell (which would seem realistic to me, if a hail of bullets is impacting around you, even if it's "just rifle fire" you are not going to want to pop your head up aslo as bullets still being sprayed at you).

This could also please the "but in real life many less shots fired actually killed people", as people could fire in the general direction of a (suspected)  enemy to try and keep the enemy either down in the dirt (so it can't fire back)  or perhaps injuring or killing them. *Pictures  a squad at the side of a road/field firing at bushes with enemies in/around them*. 
« Last Edit: 22-10-2009, 16:10:05 by Admiral Donutz »

Offline Ekalbs

• Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22-10-2009, 17:10:37 »
I believe that 2.0 suppression was almost perfect. It added a lot more immersion. 2.0 was a wee bit extreme but now i never notice any suppression. Also i agree with donutz
Warhammer 40,000: Unverse At War Dev Team
Battlefield 1918 Coder

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22-10-2009, 17:10:03 »
As much as I love this mod and enjoy it, I must admit that my interest is fading. Normandy wasn't THAT big for me, simply because I don't feel excited about the game. To be perfectly honest, I much rather go and play some rounds of COD WAW multiplayer than FH2. No immersion at all is better than just a tiny bit of immersion. If you get my meaning.
For me, it is the suppression effect that is missing.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22-10-2009, 17:10:06 »
The problem was that we could not set it correct. it was caused by your own guns or by your Own tanks next to you. I never heard that we removed it from some other point f view as technical reasons. ::)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22-10-2009, 18:10:08 »
so yea, simple .

supostly , the supression effect where toned down after the first version of FH2 got public , main reason been that "old" "veteran" and "stablished" FH1 players didnt like it , I asume because the devs didnt wanted to lose more players due to the already low poblation of players at the time.

Since this is the first time i see devs removing a feature like that just because some complained , i want to see what majority of the FH2 comunity thinks.

i just cant imagine devs adding the nosecam because "old" "veteran" and "stablished" FH1 players complain .

Ya, like they changed flying throughout the mod because the papacy complained... there's no conspiracy here, son

I do feel suppression should be for each gun, with intensity based on the calibre of the gun, but hey its like farting in the wind with this argument, no matter how well you put it

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22-10-2009, 18:10:42 »
For those of you who started playing Fh2 after the first version, you should still be able to download and play 2.0 and experience the old suppression with bots.  however, some things would likelybe broken with BF2 1.5 patch, so maybe that's not a great idea...  Maybe there are some old videos on youtube from the old days...

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFvgS0M1Nao  This is from the first release, apparently.  You can see the suppression effect at 1:20, 3:00 and 3:40.  Notice how long it lasts and the degree of suppression.  Most of those suppressions are from single MG bullets or short 2-3 round bursts from enemy MGs.  But I loved it.  It was perhaps a little too severe, but basically getting rid of the system altogether was an oversight, I think.  And I think the "Suppress yourself" problem was fixed with some sort of delay, right?
« Last Edit: 22-10-2009, 18:10:18 by Ionizer »

Offline Rustysteel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22-10-2009, 18:10:38 »
Bring back 2.0 suppression effect!

Right now MG's are not scary to come up against all you are is a shitstorm magnet, you'll maybe last a minute but someone will just watch the tracer fire and snipe you with a rifle quite quickly. It should be more challenging if you come up against somebody who's setup a browning or mg42 in  a good postion. You should have to use bigger weapons or more people to beat them but right now one rifle man can quite happily take on a machine gunner.

I've played FH2 since the first release and I played alot of FH1 and I think it was a step backwards for the mod to give in to the people that complained about the suppression effect. At the time it was a new release and I honestly don't think there was enough playtime between release and the big debate for people to give it a fair chance.

There seems to be this tug of war going on where some people expect FH2 to be exactly like FH1 and because it's not they don't like it. I think that's unfair, it's on a different engine and it offers so much more possibilities to make it more realistic or more immersive that there's no way it was going to play the same. I understand that the devs want to please their loyal fans but by the looks of this thread and that poll the ones against seem to be in the minority.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22-10-2009, 21:10:41 »
The problem was that we could not set it correct. it was caused by your own guns or by your Own tanks next to you. I never heard that we removed it from some other point f view as technical reasons. ::)

well then you must be glad to know that its possible to fix the "selfsupressed" like PR did , so now the bulet has to travel a certain amount of meters to trigger the shader , and dont guns IRL produce a shockwave that ingame can be reprecented by this effect?

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22-10-2009, 22:10:57 »

well then you must be glad to know that its possible to fix the "selfsupressed" like PR did , so now the bulet has to travel a certain amount of meters to trigger the shader , and dont guns IRL produce a shockwave that ingame can be reprecented by this effect?

I think the (currently neutered) FH2 Suppression Effect has this as well.  they added it in addition to toning down (practically removing) the shader.

Offline Moku

• Waaagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22-10-2009, 23:10:40 »
Yes! Bring back suppression that actually does hinder enemies you are trying to suppress. Back in the days of 2.0 I was at first against the level of suppression but when you practically removed it in the patches I realized how much it added to the game.

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22-10-2009, 23:10:44 »
well then you must be glad to know that its possible to fix the "selfsupressed" like PR did

Oh very glad...because we made that fix like all the rest of the PR supression effect, that was donated to them by us ::)