Author Topic: AI minimod 1.3 beta 3 + Map AI minimod 1.0b  (Read 12030 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: AI minimod 1.3 beta 2 + Map AI minimod 1.0
« Reply #15 on: 12-07-2010, 14:07:30 »
For Falaise, I simply DLed Aserafimov's new version to the map that includes vehicle navmeshes and changed mortar and the lefh to have _AI after them in Server.zip/gamemodes/COOP or  SP3/64/Gameplayobjects.con

Yer, the Stuka sounds terrific now especially when it does pull into a steep or long sloped dive in which case you actually get the horn squarking... but its hard to tell distance as it wasn't optimised for FH2.... it will be epic when its in though

Most improved maps are:
/Alam Halfa, simply epic! I can't wait to see how a map like Mareth will compare. I thought this map was epic before... but now!!... Probably, the Game's best map, and a fair thing too since NA is the most significant part of FH2 for the time being.
/El Alamein, fresh breath of life with the NA version of the Puma, Rommel's beatle and all the explosions and strafing/ bombing runs... Tanks being more agressive too make a big difference... Still hope we could revert tank motion to prevent them piling up at certain points on the map.... Leagion, lo-ove the work you did with tans, but what the heck did you do!
/Totalize, ever epic, but now with rockets blasting away and Drawde's frag count fix, it makes this map all the more epic! And the Allies make it across alot more often - Just needs rocket-planes :-)
/ Arberdeen... I hate this map with a passion, but arty makes the biggest appearance in this one, and agresive tanks, use of static guns and infantry that seem to move in force makes this one memorable
/Faliase - tried it only a few times, definitely putting the panther back, but otherwise this is an ill map with arty comparable to multiplay

Drawde, do you think bots might use the Walking Stuka on Luttich if it also had a raised perspective? Perhaps it has to have a clearly defined minium range to prevent blowing up itself... I'm sure any effect we come up with to make arty see further will do wonders to this piece

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12-07-2010, 21:07:20 »
The tanks stalling issue on maps like El Alamein may have something to do with the navmesh. I notice on Cobra, areas where the tanks where stopping permanently, the navmesh doesn't properly follow the terrain. Usually it’s a slight dip in terrain that results in the tanks driving off the navmesh by going beneath it. I've tried to fix this on Cobra by editing the navmesh by hand, and I've notice fewer permanently stopped tanks, but it still happens occasionally. I don't know if this is what’s causing the problems on other maps like El Alamein, but it makes sense if it is.

I've also notice bots won't always engage you even if you're within range, until you do something to provoke them, like shooting at them. This might be why artillery doesn't fire as far as it should. The distant targets aren't threats so they don't fire at them. I was testing a map, and one of my squad mates was on the US 81mm mortar, he wasn't shooting at anything but he was calling out targets and locations of enemies. So clearly he could see them, he just wouldn't shoot at them.

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12-07-2010, 21:07:18 »
Fixed the Normandy 25pdr issue, it was caused by a typo in the .tweak file.

Now plane rockets have been fixed, thanks to Clivewil, I'll try and get another AI minimod version finished soon including this, also a new map mod/patch with full support for co-op maps (which I forgot to include in the current version)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12-07-2010, 22:07:14 »
Did you do anything with the commander AI? I didn't notice much change...

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13-07-2010, 08:07:26 »
The tanks stalling issue on maps like El Alamein may have something to do with the navmesh. I notice on Cobra, areas where the tanks where stopping permanently, the navmesh doesn't properly follow the terrain. Usually it’s a slight dip in terrain that results in the tanks driving off the navmesh by going beneath it. I've tried to fix this on Cobra by editing the navmesh by hand, and I've notice fewer permanently stopped tanks, but it still happens occasionally. I don't know if this is what’s causing the problems on other maps like El Alamein, but it makes sense if it is.

Remick it is definitely a navmesh issue. Yesterday was playing ElAlamein as axis and was attacking Kidney Ridge along the Combat Zone (yellow dotted line in pic) One of my squad bots was following me with a Panzer III and suddenly he stopped (Red area). When I went back to see what happened, the tank was reversing, then stopped, accelerated forward and then stopped again (repeating the whole process over and over). I went behind it and rammed it through the area. Sure enough after some time the tank starting moving forward on its own accord and together we attacked Kidney ridge. (PS What a nice story!  ;D )

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13-07-2010, 08:07:31 »
Well, that's actually a relief... then it means we can still enjoy Leagion's tank motion i.e tanks don't always fire on the move, and just need to clean up navmesh is all... Quite a bit of work, but well... I thought it was Leagion's work causing the issue cuz I hadn't noticed this happening until after it i.e. 2.25

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14-07-2010, 13:07:31 »
Yesterday on Cobra just as I was about to disconnect I saw this:

F.Remick (105mm Howitzer) H.Bradley   :o Shit I wish I had battle recorder on to see what happened!

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14-07-2010, 13:07:33 »
Remick already got his name in there... nice

I also noted that like Drawde said earlier, bots CAN see as far with little obstraction. But their willingness to fire at distant targets is reduced based on the fact that the target serves no threat to them...

If we can somehow make them plenty more willing to fire at any enemy in sight, we might not need to elevate or move their POV around....

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15-07-2010, 08:07:48 »
Remick already got his name in there... nice

My mistake Djinn it is Renick and not Remick but aside from this, the message confirms that Howitzers on cobra DO indeed fire. Yesterday I tested this again. It is the Howizer next to the Windmill uncap US base that fires.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15-07-2010, 09:07:30 »
I think both the windmill and airstrip howitzers have clear LOS, save for the fog... but its the agression from the 88 and the fact that the StuG (sometimes StuGs) move in close that makes them actively fire

I also noted that when i change the 25pdr in Normandy for the NA one, bots on Goodwood would at least man the one closest to them, although never see targets a threat enough to fire. But I didn't stand by it the whole time to see

I wonder if we set the numbers down to 2 people, one we make man the howitzer, and the other on the enemy side... I wonder if that will get em to fire since there are less distractions...

Anyone wanna try this? Would be simple to set your ratio to 50:50 and reduce their count with the FH toolbox from the DL site.

Might give us valuable data on how howitzers function

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15-07-2010, 09:07:20 »
Good idea. Will try it this eve Djinn

Edit: Tried it yesterday. Howitzer at Windmill didn't fire at all seeing that there was no action taking place.

@Remick04 or Drawde: Yesterday was trying to film some sp action on cobra [with P51 firing rockets  (Thanks Clivewill and Drawde)  ;D ] and I noticed that when you restart the map (admin.restartmap) All 32 bots on the US side spawn at Windmill uncap. You can imagine all the action that was taking place over there...at one point there were about 10 tanks following each other attacking Farm flag...this eve will check what happens on the Axis side.

Edit:  Axis spawn on all flags
« Last Edit: 19-07-2010, 07:07:19 by Raziel »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21-07-2010, 00:07:14 »
I think the thing is to somehow try and see how we can make howitzer-manning bots mucho aggressive. On alam Halfa, the LeFH should be able to see as far as the frontline defenses if not further, but at its distance from the battlefield it will never fire.... or see anything as a threat...

I think that would be the solution we are looking for... It might also be that, howitzers seem to like tanks more as targets than they do static defenses...that said, it doesn't explain why the LeFH in Seige of Tobruk is quite active all the way up to the middle frontline base...

Well, I think we should start work on finding the crash issue in Purple Heart Lane. Anyone want to get this ball rolling with some theories we can investigate? we know aproximately when the CTD occurs: After capping the last road flag before the 88, but why?

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23-07-2010, 22:07:55 »
Hopefully I should have an updated version of the AI minimod (planes firing rockets, no tank smoke shells, fix for Normandy 25pdr, etc.) and map minimod/patch (with full support for co-op) ready tomorrow - I'll update this thread when it's uploaded.

Once that's done, I'll have a look at more fixes/additions. Clivewil's deviation settings for plane guns definitely look like they might be useful. Couldn't see how to get the Stukas to dive more steeply, but I've now added SP-only versions of the Stuka where the dive horn/siren activates in shallow dives (as in the currently released minimod version) - the siren on the standard MP version now only activates in steep dives.
« Last Edit: 23-07-2010, 22:07:21 by Drawde »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24-07-2010, 00:07:28 »
Wasn't Clivewil's advice regarding increasing the climb of the plane helpful?

EDIT:
Played PHL without Drawde's mod... Didn't CTD or lag like it does WITH Drawde's. Clearly the CTD has been itnroduced. Also noted how infantry fire their rifles at a more realistic rate... I heard what I thought was a mauser firing at me, killed the offender only to realise it was  a semi-automatic. M1 Garands and M1A1 Carbines also fire alot slower...

Something to compare maybe, Drawde... Also, in the stock FH2, bots use both the slow and fast fire BAR depending on the range... Another factor to note'

Ofocourse, glaringly obvious though was how 'no one was home' at any of the mgs and even the 88 until we were right on top of it. Nebelwerfer also had the same issue of only firing when the mortar was occupied, which served the Yanks better than Gerry since the latter would man it and see nothing over the hedges to fire at. Nice to know we left these flaws well behind...

Next, I want to take a look at armored cars and see if they prefer white meat to hardened steel
« Last Edit: 24-07-2010, 11:07:18 by djinn »

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24-07-2010, 19:07:01 »
I've now uploaded the new versions of the files, hopefully they should work OK (haven't had time to test them fully). The map patch should now contain fully updated/modified data for co-op as well as SP mode.

Also noted how infantry fire their rifles at a more realistic rate... I heard what I thought was a mauser firing at me, killed the offender only to realise it was  a semi-automatic. M1 Garands and M1A1 Carbines also fire alot slower...

Something to compare maybe, Drawde... Also, in the stock FH2, bots use both the slow and fast fire BAR depending on the range... Another factor to note'

Odd, I thought I'd got the "rate-of-fire cap" for semi-auto rifles and pistols to work properly, I'll have to take another look at this. I'll also try and get the bots using the different BAR fire rates again, this is something that inadvertently got "broken" whilst fixing/adjusting the weapon AI data.