Author Topic: [WIP] Battle of Aachen  (Read 22748 times)

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
[WIP] Battle of Aachen
« on: 26-09-2009, 23:09:53 »
Hello.

Here i come whit a new map, Aachen. This map has been in my scope for Months, so finally, i started it and im continuing it.

The Battle for Aachen was a bloodbath. The Americans learned that the germans will fight to the death in their own Soil. Aachen was defended by the 116th Panzer Division, commanded by Gerhard von Schwerin. But Gerhard von Schwerin, decided to surrender the city to the allies but Hitler replaced him whit Gerhard Wilck.

The way to Aachen was tough. The germans had many Fortifications, the US Soldiers suffered terrible losses when taking these Fortifications. Such fortifications would have to be taken whit Flamethrowers, Setchel Carges, Grenades and the 155mm Sherman gun Conversion.

The Germans Counterattacked many times, these attacks failed because of the Allied Air Superiority and Continous artillery barrage.

Hodges, commanding the First Army, was tasked to break trough Aachen and occupy it.

The Battle started on 2 October, when the 30th Infantry Division attacked the German Pillboxes. 6 Days Before, a large Artillery bombardment fell on the Germans, whit little effect. Later, the Artillery attacked the German AA Instalations, but the smoke dindt allowed the Air Force to see their targets.

The rate of US Casualties was big on 11 October 1944, Strong german counterattacks and the tough job of taking every pillbox raised the number of losses on the US Side.

New SS Units arrived for the Germans, the I. SS Panzerkorps whit the SS Schwere Panzer Abteilung 101 and elements of the I. SS Panzer Division.

Despite strong German Counterattacks, the Allied succeded in their Task. After bitter Fighting, Aachen was surrounded.

The attack began on 13 October, the 26th Infantry Regiment will face 5.000 German Soldiers, mainly from the Volkssturm.

The Germans had little armor support on their city, but they used it very well, on counterattacks.

When the city was falling, one of the last resistence pockets was the Hotel Quellenhof, 300 SS German soldiers reinforced the Hotel and counterattacked, succesfully.

The US decided to attack the Hotel whit Mortars and Artillery. The German garrison capitualted on 21 October, ending the battle of Aachen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The map will take place on the Outskirts of Aachen. The way to Aachen will be heavily infested of Bunkers, Trenches, Pillboxes, Strongpoints, etc.

The Terrain will be mainly, flat, whit some variations on the ground.

The Flags will be

Allies

26th Infantry Division

2nd Armored Division

Axis

Pillbox

88 Hill

Hill 239 (Probably)

Aachen Outskirts

Aachen

SS Schwere Panzer Abteilung 101

I would like to finish this map, but i need help. Not help like "How do i paint the terrain", help like Push Mode, Dummy Flags, Balance, Object Placement (Like designing a base), Terrain Textures, Building a Large City, and more.

Pictures:

Pictures are bad and they dont show anything. Also, Panther Ausf G will be used, atleast, here.

Note that the German Kit Selection is the same as Op Luttich. Only the NCO was changed, from Mp40 to STG44. Panzershreck will be changed (If the Panzerfaust 100 or 60 is still in the game...) for Panzerfaust 30m.

More pics soon.

PS: Im not continuing Abstention because. I Reinstalled windows, saved the map in a DVD. Now, i still have that DVD but my PC DVD Drive is broken, and it wont read that DVD. So my WiP Folder is empty, so i decided to start Aachen.

Any questions?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Battle of Aachen
« Reply #1 on: 27-09-2009, 00:09:23 »
I would switch the StG44 to assault and give the MP40 to NCO.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Battle of Aachen (Update 26 Sept)
« Reply #2 on: 27-09-2009, 01:09:23 »

azreal

« Reply #3 on: 27-09-2009, 04:09:10 »
Looks good so far, but I think you are using the vBF2 trees. Might wanna update to the 2.2 trees.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27-09-2009, 06:09:40 »
they are called Pine_8m or something.

Testing again.

And results.

(This is going to Bug Report, this building, TownBuilding_something has no collition)

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27-09-2009, 10:09:35 »
Should those British M4A4s not be American M4A1s?

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27-09-2009, 18:09:26 »
Should those British M4A4s not be American M4A1s?

Nope. They should be M4A1 because, some sources says, the british didnt fought in Aachen.

Im a noob whit Shermans, so i will try to make my best. The US will have M4A1s and maybe more.

Now, i really need to know how to set up dummy flags. The SS Schwere Panzer Abteilung 101 flag spawns 2 Tigers Late. They will spawn when the 88 Hill falls. Anyone can give me a hand?

azreal

« Reply #7 on: 27-09-2009, 19:09:02 »
The first and third pics are the kinda trees you should use. The ones in the second pic just look weird. And get basic geometry done first. Worry about complex coding matters like dummy flags later.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27-09-2009, 19:09:57 »
Yeah that grass is fuckd up. The Density is too big.

Keep in mind, this is my first normandy map. I never worked whit Grass and Trees. So basically, its trial and error.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28-09-2009, 08:09:00 »

Now that grass looks better than before.

I must keep working on the City and leave the other areas. Now, i plan to add another flag, called Mortar Position or something. Well, it will be a fortificated position whit german Mortars. According to my Push system... wich is not done..

Pillboxes - Eastern Pillboxes - 88 Hill

Village - Mortar Position

Aachen Outskirts

Aachen

(Any suggestion for Flags?)

Thats how it should be, also, i may add another flag but called 1. SS Division Headquarters, whit some Halftracks and maybe a Nebelwerfer

I will give more details about Flags tomorrow. Let me sleep.. :D

Offline kettcar

• Developer
  • Mapper / News Journalist
    • View Profile
    • SWIZZ Gamingnet Community
« Reply #10 on: 28-09-2009, 12:09:15 »
the _townhouse 25/26 u use have no collision. its the 2floored cornerbuilding left of the 88 with the black roof. test it  ;)
do you have an minimap or an overview about the flags ?
« Last Edit: 28-09-2009, 13:09:33 by kettcar »

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29-09-2009, 04:09:54 »
the _townhouse 25/26 u use have no collision. its the 2floored cornerbuilding left of the 88 with the black roof. test it  ;)
do you have an minimap or an overview about the flags ?

Yeah there are two kind of Townhouse 25/26, both of them doesnt have collision.

Minimap is grey, but you can still see the flags. So yeah, i will post a pic of it soon.

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29-09-2009, 09:09:10 »
They never should go into the mod. expect them to be deleted in the future.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30-09-2009, 04:09:30 »
I saw the HasCollide box wasnt checked. I checked it but, still broken.

Well, i noticed the game crashes every time is set up a Mortar.

azreal

« Reply #14 on: 30-09-2009, 04:09:47 »
you gotta put...

run ClientArchives.con
run StandardSpawners.con
run ../../objects/Common/CommonSpawners.con

in your tmp.con file.