Author Topic: [Map] Colleville Draw  (Read 18417 times)

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
Re: [Map] Colleville Draw
« Reply #30 on: 03-06-2011, 18:06:00 »
 Are there any places that the Allies could use the Grappling Hook?

Maybe to climb on top of a bunker, hill or cliff?

This would give them some alternative ways to advance.

Just a thought.....
 ;)

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03-06-2011, 19:06:16 »
@Jan: Placing ivy on walls is on my to-do list. Giving the farm walls some more nice details. Some more hedges around the walls will also come - I already thit that to quite a few places. Especially around wood logs you'll find a lot of detail. This little artwork needs quite some time and is more final work for me.  :)

There are already tons of bomb craters, niches etc. to hide behind. Got first of all to test this.

@Jimi: Well there are some very rare places where - theoretically - it could be used. In reality no troops used it during the battlefield so I will not add this gimmick. On a few positions it could be used but it would open to many attack points - making it too hard for the axis.

/edit: thank you 2 for the feedback. :)
« Last Edit: 03-06-2011, 19:06:59 by Nissi »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03-06-2011, 19:06:19 »
ok then add a more small bumps in the terrain. an open map like that could end up in bad gameplay and rapefest.  ;)

^This. Also add some random stuff in few places, maybe some stones/rocks somewhere in those fields that soldiers could lie behind them to take cover and less likely find themselves under enemy fire in the middle of nowhere. Place more obstacles not only barbed wires behind the beach and add more bushes next to the walls or maybe replace some with hedges for variety.

Also makes for a believable world area.

I would really like to see this map come to life. I really wish however the research is done right. There are a dime a dozen Omaha maps for FH and FH2, and I cannot respect any more unless its closest to the way it really was set up. Mg nests and pillboxes supported by big guns and mortar are just too common now.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03-06-2011, 19:06:31 »
I would really like to see this map come to life. I really wish however the research is done right. There are a dime a dozen Omaha maps for FH and FH2, and I cannot respect any more unless its closest to the way it really was set up. Mg nests and pillboxes supported by big guns and mortar are just too common now.

There are? Cool, I've only seen 2 in FH2 and 3 in FH0.7. :)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03-06-2011, 19:06:49 »
There are? Cool, I've only seen 2 in FH2 and 3 in FH0.7. :)

I have seen only one in FH2 (it supprorts SP), Charlie Sector in old FH and the vanilla omaha in bf1942, lol. Can someone post some screenshots of other maps?

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 03-06-2011, 19:06:27 »
FH1 was highly unrealistic and like Saving private Ryan.
The only map for FH2 was even more unrealistic than the FH1 one.

No map has ever had right enfilade bunker placement!
All bunkers as they were placed on those maps would have been destroyed by naval fire.

The Colleville Project has some stuff that is changed like scale, nearer locations but it's as close to reality as possible while ensuring a good gameplay.  ;)

You can lay the drawings of page 1 of the thread above the minimap and you'll easy recognize how good the WN62 fits.

To name a few details that make the map close to real (at least for a game, please keep that in mind):

- Statics of the WN 62 are on the correct height above the sea, have their correct locations behind the anti tank ditch
- trenches fit around 80% of their locations. due to the statics I made some adjustments in the detailed trench line way
- mines are where mines where (+some additional)
- barbed wires are where they were (+ some additional)
- no Übersuperdupperguns
- no bunkers that can be from the sea
- selective use of cliffs as in reality
- flat terrain (yes WN62 was almost flat)

Of course there are some limitations like the additional stuff but in comparison to all beach maps I've ever found in a game it's the one closest to reality.  8)

For example: blood on beach, dead soldiers, destructable fences etc. are not feasible or either not wished (like the blood in my way).

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 03-06-2011, 20:06:38 »
I gotta hand it to you Nissi this is one hell of a good looking map, I really hope to see in an official release? (I can hope) You've kept to the real world standards as best you could while still thinking greatly about gameplay and how it will play out. It looks great from the editor shots so far too... really can't wait to see the progress on this one.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 03-06-2011, 21:06:15 »
Nissi, I know that all of that omaha beaches were extremely inaccurate... I was just curious and I want to see some screenshots! ;)

AFAIK your map is the first one to cover actual terrain of Omaha and I am very excited about progress on it after seeing your screenshots (although I have recently thought something completely different about these types of projects because I had no idea that you can connect historical accuracy with gameplay on beach landing map) Let me quote myself: ;)
I don't get it how always people get overexcited about making omaha beach map etc when probably no one will even like it when it will become more real and historical accurate and probably don't look like that SPR fictional omaha. >:(

Now I know that I was wrong and I hope that gameplay will be great and someday your map will be included in official patch (I know how it is with custom maps and how silly this finding is at this stage of progress but still I want see it on full server someday - let us be of good cheer)  ::)

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 03-06-2011, 22:06:00 »
@Jan: was more a response to djiins post.

Well I don't know if it will lead to a good gameplay - I hope and estimate it. But that's a thing third persons must think when they play the map. It can't be judged by myself.

---------------------------

Got to fix a lot of things but currently I got to work on something else.  ;)

- some objects are not well placed (rarely flying objects... realy rare but the beach production was quite efficient for such a long beach. Well this comes at a cost and have to review all of them.)
- art work continues
- final kit selection, pick up kits
- overgrowth
- some env maps for my tank ditch - don't know why they didn't work in the first place
- same objects spawners not yet done: tank reinforcements on the landing craft. got to find a workaround cause no such object exists. There are landing ships for tanks but without objects spawners if I saw this correctly
- finetuning on terrain & undergrowth

@all who hope this map will ever make it in a public release: I guess if the dev wanted such a map they had done one. And mine is far away from beeing sufficient - not without a lot of help from artworks guys & a lot of expertise and testing - ressources that are very scarce and currently surely not freely disonible. I'm fully aware of that and think that the devs have - understandable - other priorities.

I'm struggling most with the artwork. I believe I did quite a nice job on the gameplay part but trying to come to the FH2 appearance standard in the art part is really tough. It's like you work for Marvel and admire Disney. Disney simply makes stuff that looks better - but there is hope, cause Disney finally made a takeover on Marvel.  ;D

It's all about the motivation and the more constructive posts I see hear the more I'll continue on this dead end project.  8)

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05-06-2011, 14:06:29 »
This map needs mortar shelling while driving the landing craft to the beach. Unrealistic? I dunno. Will it please the game nerd inside me? Hell yes!

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05-06-2011, 14:06:12 »
On the water quite unrealistic cause the mortars were all targeted on the beach. But ingame it all depends on the players so I don't know.  :P

Which makes me aware of a problem I've not thought about yet... while commander ari can be blocked on enemy main I have no clue how to block the mortars shooting on the spawning boats. Counting on the fairness of the players is not my thing so got to think about that when I resume the work on the map. Currently not working anymore on it to let everything calm down and to see it from a more distant perspective.  ;)

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 05-06-2011, 15:06:26 »
 Suggestions:

- Mortar kits on beach
- Allow Allies to call in naval Artillery

Keep the good work Nissi.

;)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05-06-2011, 15:06:35 »
Just don't give the germans commander artillery.

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05-06-2011, 16:06:18 »
@Ts4Ever: random ship spawning will also do the job against the axis mortars. I will not place Axis commander artillery. At the time of the battle the axis artillery power was reduced to mortars and I will stick to it. But thank you.  :)

@Jimi Hendrix: Allieds will get mortars but probably no commander artillery with ships. Reason: when the invasion at the turning point started the allieds stopped all bombardment to avoid friendly fire.  :)

In general it's a balancing question for me - but not a must. I think on some maps commander artillery can be quite nice but on others I dislike the feature.

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #44 on: 10-06-2011, 14:06:21 »
I guess it could be possible to make commander arty tied to certain flag on the beach or time thus giving allies something with what they can get to the beach but taking it away after that meaning they actually need to do something.
CMP Gaming