Author Topic: [Map] Colleville Draw  (Read 18416 times)

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
Re: [Map] Colleville Draw
« Reply #15 on: 27-05-2011, 00:05:50 »
@Fliippy:  exactly :D
Actually it's quite funny to be on this position. It's quite flat - but after long balancing with the viewdistance, distance scaling I achieved that you can enter the infantry just when the landing boats must open their doors.

@Lainer: the artillery code sounds quite nice. Actually I will fix some minor bugs we discovered today and then I will work a lot on the artwork to bring it up to the gameplay potential which it has. Maybe we can talk about that.  :)

Until it's playable there are still many things missing and a lot of cleaning is necessary. I know that and will work on it. Next task bug fixing, ground texture, placing some more objects to hind behind as I like to protect some rare spawn points better. And finally under- and overgrowth - and minimap.  :)

It's a long list and I'm quite impressed how much time it consumes .

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30-05-2011, 23:05:58 »
Little update...

- artwork is making slow progress tough a lot of time invested. But it's worth the effort as it is now already much more feasible how it will feel together with the gameplay already established.
- around 100 bomb craters built & drawn (it felt as 1'000  :-X)

- new ground texture done with terragens to improve the look and feel. Not fully convinced with them but it's already much better. Needs surely some more work.

- added many "available to hide" objects to complement the already established primary gameplay objects. Meaning: bushes, bomb craters as said & obstacles on the beach to prevent spawnraping.

- added undergrowth. It's still a bit too bright for my desire and the actual weather. I should reconfigure the light a bit. Gone crazy with the "terrain.burnundergrowthintostreeet" tool and the many crashes. Anyway it's giving the map already some more flair. Many places redrawn by hand to not hinder the gameplay where desired.

However a screenie for the night. It's the view from the open field MG34 on the second defense line same height & around same area as the Severloh position. :)

Still need to learn how ambiance effects work and got to do the minimap. Next steps thus are:

- adding common objects around the flags to make the flagzones lively. That's surely not for the gameplay but for the eye.
- some terrain color & undergrowth rework
- minimap

... it's a never ending story. I feel a bit maso to do a map cause it still makes fun.  ;D

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31-05-2011, 07:05:16 »
Looks good Nissi! Keep it up!  :)

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03-06-2011, 13:06:21 »
Update with funky drawing! No I didn't smoke something or took some stuff... it's just I that I'm really a noob with photoshop hand drawing.  ;D

Current map to-do status:
- minimap for testing done
- a lot of artwork improvement done. Looks still not how I wish it looked.
- refining a lot of statics. needs still some rework on the oldest parts of the map. I clearly note the difference between the early stages of the map and my current editor abilites.
- undergrowth not everywhere cleared where there should none of it. but that's a minor part.

It's time to show you some of the gameplay elements that form the map. I don't want to upload all my crazy hand drawing that were used as the source for it.

Ingame map with the flags:

Flags:
1) these flags can be attacked by the Americans right from the start away. Please note that the view on the map is only the American. The Axis can't go too near to beach except on the WN61 where they can reach the cliffs.
2) WN61 opens the attack for Bocage; The Battery & MG Nest open the attack for the WN 62 HQ.
3) The WN62 HQ is needed to attack the positions marked with a 3.
4) Final flag - axis encirclement.

X-es:
The black crosses are entry points for the allieds. As in reality the allieds can only enter the Widerstandsnester at some points. Both areas have 3 entries to force the axis forces to spread out - weakening their defense lines to enable partial allied breakthroug.

Pinkish lines:
What you cannot see on the map are the barbed wires, farm walls & wood fences that form the sub battlefields. When I planned the map I already put some combat zones on the drawing to force the gameplay into certain map areas. The 3 types of fences used (barbed wires, farm walls & wood fences) work together with various trenches, bushes & bomb craters and form the corresponding combat zones. Due to the amount of such objects I couldn't draw all of them by hand on the map. You'll find some screens down this post.

Blue-Green writings & yellow area:
I often heard that the current beach statics couldn't handle the real use. Meaning: in reality they were shooting far beyond map scales. That's right so I made a twist with them. The 4 bunkers that can partially launch bombs on the beaches all fullfill a certain mission.

H3-Bunker: this regelbau is fictive - in the sense in reality it was in WN60 which was another few 100m down the coast and higher up. In reality it fired on the colleville beach. I placed this bunker down there to simulate the harsh bombardment.

G4-Bunker: this regelbau was as well further to the east and contained a PAK 43 which also fired on the beach down the colleville draw. It was as well thought to protect against enemy incoming tanks. When the tanks arrived at the turning point of the battle the WN61 was already in Allied hands. The PAK 43 is replaced with a Pak40 and can only partially shoot on the beach. It's main designation is to protect the street between the mine field and the waterditch.

C4 & C5-Bunker: This bunkers protect ingame the place where the allied tanks must leave the beach. In reality the allied tanks were really desperate to find a way out from the colleville beach - being under fire and confronted with a deep waterfilled tank ditch and facing mines all up the hill. The narrov street forced them on the path to colleville. This place was in reality covered by the above mentioned bunkers. In reality the bunkers in C4 & C5 (which by the way have their exact real position) shot down almost to the charlie sector and were filled with Czech guns. They are replaced with Pak40s.

Mortars: there were 5 mortars and 1 LeFH18 battery shooting on the beach which would have been insane ingame. I reduced them to 3 mortars which can not refill their amo. This will lead to a very harsh beginning for the allieds to simulate the very bloody beginning of the battle but as well the weakening of the german troops confroted with amo shortage all the way.

Attack routes & combat zones:

I thought some of you want to know how the real fight is supposed to take place and with which tools I want to achieve that. Here we go.

- Primary objective: the allieds must land on the beach under heavy fire. The germans have during the first 90 seconds close to the beach spawnpoints. Meaning: the spawn right next to the big guns MG's etc. The germans were well awake & prepared when the first allieds made it to the beach so this is fair enough. The naval & aerial bombing did not work as supposed and caused only damage far behind the lines.
Note: the allieds get saver spawnpoints after 10 minutes (well have to test with the necessary time) by dummy timed flags.

- Secondary objective: the flags on the first lines can be attacked right from the beginning - but getting the beach flags helps of course. People can spawn either on the gained beach-spawns or in the landing vehicles that remain some time on the beach. All spawnpoints are in bomb craters or behind destroyed landing crafts. This helps to protect allieds from beeing shot down right on the spawn.

WN61-Note: Taking out the WN61 is key for a calmer beach. It enables the flanking for the further flags and is a good help for the allieds as in reality.

You can see the attack routes on the following screenshot. Yellow arrows are the possible attack routes; cliffs & barbed wires forcing the gameplay & fight for the flags in the right direction. Pink are MG position (4x MG 34 + 1 MG 42).

WN62 MG Nest
This Position is the first defense line of the WN62. I like to show you the core of the attack place.
There are only 4 attack possibilites + 1 saver sneak path. All flags contain a rather saver sneak path to enable flanking. This flag has 3 MG34 & one MG42 Lafette in house which is outside of the screenshot. One 5cm KWK is on as well part of that line.

WN62 AT Battery:

The other third 1 defense line flag. Please not that the barbed wires in the back of the map continue - they don't appear cause of the viewdistance. Once again you see clearly defined attack routes - allieds can only attack on around 4 possible ways. Taking this flag will ensure that allied reinforcements can make their way up.

Summary note:
This system of limited entry & exit points continues on all flags. All spawn points should be save from spawnrape as not beein in the attack routes are split up quite strict.

I like to show as an example some part of the uphill area which contains clear combat areas with walls. Hiding places are bushes (not visible), bomb craters & trees. Flankin is possible but it's crucial to pass the entry points. Tanks cannot move freely on the map due to minefields, walls etc.

cheers,
Nissi

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03-06-2011, 14:06:36 »
Looks very promising. :)

Offline Zeno

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03-06-2011, 14:06:12 »
comming along real nice^^

now add more overgrowth ;D

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03-06-2011, 14:06:35 »
Looks good enough for application as an official mapper. We will have Omaha in the mod yet! 8)

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03-06-2011, 14:06:06 »
@posters before: well the beach does not yet look as I want it to have. No smoke effects etc. on it and it's too clean. I don't like blood in a game but got to think about make it dirty & ugly in another way. So far it looks like a sandburg with many black/grey spots (= the bomb craters).

@zeno: You can't see much of the overgrowth. That's due to the viewdistance limit of my editor settings. The screens look a bit empty you're right.

There are plenty of bushed on it indeed.  :)

Editor screenshot:

The overgrowth in the reagion was quite bushy - not a lot of trees, some bocage further behind the coast. I made the overgrowth a mixture between reality & usability.

1) beach - no vegetation of course
2) mix zone: a bit of sand + grass, first undergrowth, no overgrowth
3) grass zone: bushes + undergrowth
4) bocage: hedges, trees + undergrowth.

Offline Zeno

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03-06-2011, 14:06:57 »
ok then add a more small bumps in the terrain. an open map like that could end up in bad gameplay and rapefest.  ;)

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03-06-2011, 15:06:44 »
Thanks for the hint about that. This region on the screenshot needs still work and I know that. It's a place that is not destroyed by naval artillery and has thus more a soft landscape. It's a small place but I got to check.

I placed quite a lot of little heights and lows on open fields to give some cover but it does not show really through. Got to test that ingame whether it's enough to get some cover.  :)

Please post all what you think - actually I think it will only help me to improve it.  :D

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03-06-2011, 15:06:28 »
 Looks very promising so far Nissi.

Ive read this place was not hit with Naval Bombardment very much, but there was "alot" of smoke and some high grass.

If you can get this balanced gameplay wise, perhaps submitting it to the FH2 Devs is in the future.

Keep it up.

One thing. Will we be riding in on Landing Craft like on PDH?

;)
« Last Edit: 03-06-2011, 15:06:31 by Jimi Hendrix »

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03-06-2011, 16:06:08 »
Yep quite high gras and bombardment by allieds in the nowhere (see the minimap) and by the axis on the beach. I cut the high grass a bit down so the infantry sees something. That's a necessary compromise.

Yes there are landing crafts. If you watch other screens you might discover one of the landing boats. :)
« Last Edit: 03-06-2011, 16:06:56 by Nissi »

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03-06-2011, 16:06:38 »
Map looks promising but I believe that it will need further tweaking to get the gameplay right, as public players tend to be... somewhat uncoordinated... Tournaments will probably find a good use for it though. I like the concept of chokepoints... But it could turn into FH1 Omaha, where any advance is promptly stopped without the use of gliders... But I see you thought about it with the use of "sneaky" paths
« Last Edit: 03-06-2011, 16:06:59 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03-06-2011, 16:06:20 »
I thought about that issue a long time. The point is that the allieds should be blocked for a certain time but must be able to break through after a certain time to not get frustrated. If the breakthrough is too easy it's not good either.

Here comes the work with Amo equipment and break through pathes & beach length cutting. The beach is not that deep that people can't reach the shore. During the first 10 minutes mortars + paks will make the beach hell. The whole beach has around 8 exit points - enough to break out and be somewhat defended by the axis - enabling a tough but nice fight around that positions. At least that's my hope.  :)

Please if you have any suggestions about some parts that could be changed don't hesitate to tell me that. It's like big picture where you're painting for weeks - after some time you're just part of it and don't see anymore some obvious loopholes. So I'm very happy if you can give me some additional hints. For example the one hint above about some missing rougher heightmap.  ;)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03-06-2011, 17:06:12 »
ok then add a more small bumps in the terrain. an open map like that could end up in bad gameplay and rapefest.  ;)

^This. Also add some random stuff in few places, maybe some stones/rocks somewhere in those fields that soldiers could lie behind them to take cover and less likely find themselves under enemy fire in the middle of nowhere. Place more obstacles not only barbed wires behind the beach and add more bushes next to the walls or maybe replace some with hedges for variety.
« Last Edit: 03-06-2011, 17:06:10 by jan_kurator »