Author Topic: 2.4 Desktop crashes  (Read 1368 times)

Offline hslan.Grim

• View Profile
2.4 Desktop crashes
« on: 18-07-2011, 12:07:07 »
Hey everyone,

After updating FH2.3 to FH2.4 I have had some problems.

1)   FH2.4 crashes to desktop after clicking on the Sound tab in the Options menu
2)   FH2.4 crashes to desktop when joining a server, it goes to desktop as soon as I click the ‘’join’’ button.  (strange thing here was that if the server ran a older map from 2.3 it didn’t crash)

Possible fixes I tried:
Complete re-installment of FH2
Updating soundcard drivers
Editing audio.con file

After these ‘’fixes’’ I still have the desktop crashes only now it crashes to desktop even on the older maps.

Anyone else have the same problems? Or better, knows a fix?

-edited to implement fixes posted below
« Last Edit: 26-07-2011, 15:07:37 by hslan.Grim »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Re: 2.4 Desktop crashes
« Reply #1 on: 18-07-2011, 12:07:17 »
Try opening up a new profile when you start your FH2.4.
It's not a nice solution, but perhaps when it works, wou'll be able to copy the sound.con file from the working profile to the old one.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline hslan.Grim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20-07-2011, 15:07:29 »
Tried it, but also on a new profile the game crashes back to desktop as soon as I click on the Sound tab. I also tried to on BF2 and it also seems to crash. I will reinstal BF2 completely and try again.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20-07-2011, 16:07:38 »
Update soundcard driver.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Hoak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20-07-2011, 18:07:24 »
While I believe the sound stability issues belong to BF2, I believe that differences in sample rate, format, and especially DC offset in FH2 audio assets (all audio assets need to be DC offset trimmed in the same batch) may exascerbate the stability issue.

Some of the same approch employed X-Fi Users may help you but you may have to manually edit your "Audio.con" file... Try these settings to see if they get your game going and work from there:

Code: [Select]
AudioSettings.setVoipEnabled 0
AudioSettings.setVoipPlaybackVolume 0
AudioSettings.setVoipCaptureVolume 0
AudioSettings.setVoipCaptureThreshold 0.1
AudioSettings.setVoipBoostEnabled 0
AudioSettings.setVoipUsePushToTalk 1
AudioSettings.setProvider "Software"
AudioSettings.setSoundQuality "Low"
AudioSettings.setEffectsVolume 0.5
AudioSettings.setMusicVolume 0
AudioSettings.setHelpVoiceVolume 0
AudioSettings.setEnglishOnlyVoices 1
AudioSettings.setEnableEAX 0

These are not desireable settings, but they may at least give you an arcuation point where things work, and you can tweak from there and see what works. Best luck, let us know how it works out, so others can benefit!

;)
« Last Edit: 20-07-2011, 18:07:27 by Hoak »

Offline hslan.Grim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-07-2011, 15:07:13 »
Tried to edit the audio.con file but it didnt work :(. Will reinstal BF2 + repatch FH2 again in a couple of days to see if that works.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26-07-2011, 21:07:26 »
Was the audio.con file marked as read-only. Perhaps you can try to set the Audio settings to software and medium, if that works you can set it to high.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14-08-2011, 16:08:21 »
My ctd's aren't sound related, but I'll use this thread because it has the right title.

I have ctd's almost every other map, when I'm on a server (usually hslan) and we finish a map, the next one starts loading, and upon finishing, I ctd. I even had this problem at every single map two days ago. I tried rebooting, and then it helped, but it didn't help yesterday. I assume it has something to do with my client data, as it is always during the verifying of the clientdata.

Other problem is that (on hslan) I get disconnected a lot. I just get back to the serverbrowser ingame. It is definitely not on my end, as I had this one night together with Priest all the time: when I would get disconnected, he would too. Then for a while the server had a ping of 2500 for us (like 1 minute or so) and then we would be able to rejoin.

Recently I increased my virtual memory, but other than that I haven't changed anything in my system. It seems imporbable to me that the virtual memory is the problem (because I increased it instead of making it smaller), but I post it anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! (as this rejoining after every map is a bit killing my joy of gaming, as you might understand)

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15-08-2011, 17:08:45 »
I've experienced the same thing on 762 server yesterday and the day before. I don't know what is happening.
Is Gamespy acting up ??

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15-08-2011, 17:08:11 »
I've experienced the same thing on 762 server yesterday and the day before. I don't know what is happening.
Is Gamespy acting up ??
Did you have ctd's or disconnects?

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17-08-2011, 15:08:42 »
Yesterday I had my first evening in a long time without any crashes. Played 7 maps in a row, no problems. So maybe it was something external, like GameSpy (as NTH suggested).

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18-08-2011, 09:08:44 »
In my experience it is almost always something external. Be it 3rd party programs or a problem with some hardware.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18-08-2011, 11:08:58 »
Is Gamespy acting up ??
Did you have ctd's or disconnects?

One Disconnect and three CTD.
No problems anymore.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18-08-2011, 16:08:03 »
The only thing I changed on my end was switching off Dr Watson, as it froze my PC from time to time.

Since there were problems with several players, I still think it was something on ze interwebz.