Author Topic: Berlin  (Read 21468 times)

Offline blander

• View Profile
Re: Berlin
« Reply #30 on: 09-03-2018, 00:03:32 »
With your map open in the level editor go to the Editor>General Bar on the right, click on the generate button, to get a very basic minimap.

I don´t find the generate button. I haven´t investigated at all about the minimap generation. Unless it´s something easy I don´t want ot waste too much time on it since not even half of the map´s main layout is done. I expect to finish that this week.

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09-03-2018, 08:03:54 »
Putting any type of applique armour on the AFVs was also strictly forbidden, but how many units followed this order? German High Command was busy giving all types of nitpicking directives even late as April '45, but not too many cared to follow any of them.

Anyways, Flak(s) you posted are not all the same, unless someone re-did the killrings and moved the position for (almost) each single shot. Majority of Berlin's Flak equipment area was already set (in reserve) between 1940-42, after the bombing campaigns lauched by the RAF. But sure, lets go camo or better yet, ambush camo on everything   :)
« Last Edit: 09-03-2018, 09:03:37 by nysä »

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09-03-2018, 14:03:05 »
The "generate" minimap button is "show".  It's under minimap near the bottom of the right hand side menu.

Don't worry about your flak gun color at this point in your map.  That stuff is so easy to change at the last minute.  You wont finalize it until after a good play test.  Someone can help you make custom textures if you need it.

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09-03-2018, 17:03:57 »
I thought that minimap would appear in-game but it doesn´t, its only in the editor. I guess I can take a screenshot from the editor so you can have a look.

I just extracted all the CMP files and was glad to see that they have a lot of great statics, now I have a wider set of buildings to place, the map is looking much nicer now since it was getting too reppetitive. I think no other map so far has so many clumped up buildings like this one.

I guess I will figure out how to make the textures and the new vehicles I need since I just need to modify existing stuff and I´ve done this in FH1. Nevertheless it would be great if somebody wanted to help me with that so I can finish the mapping faster.

The textures I need are:

- Replacing all existing french signs with german ones (ads and such things on buildings).
- Modifying other signs to make them unique for this map and sticking them to specific buildings around the map (Hotel, Restaurant, etc)
- Just a few building skins could have different touches to make them unique.
- Minor details to german and soviet vehicles.
« Last Edit: 09-03-2018, 17:03:35 by blander »

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09-03-2018, 21:03:39 »
Buildings on the top left are not showing but you get the idea. Note you have to scroll right to see the whole pic.

First part has 3 long streets to go through, connected together in some points.

Second part has short streets, it´s gonna be more difficult for the tanks to survive there. There is also an anti-tank ditch and tank blockers. As a tanker I would sit on the open green part and soften up the first line of german defense. As russians conquer the first sector german tanks should spawn at the other end of the map. They should reach the second sector if the infantry manages to hold it long enough.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09-03-2018, 21:03:22 »
You have to rename the minimap "ingamemap" and then move it to your HUD/Minimap folder manually.
For the final version, follow some of these instructions to make it look great:
 http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f189-modding-tutorials/31987-how-make-perfect-minimap.html  Then compress it DXT1, I think.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09-03-2018, 22:03:08 »
A little more in-depth about the minimap; when you click the 'generate' button it makes a file called minimap.dds in C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\fh2\levels\(your_map_name)\Editor.

That's what I wanted to look at to get a better overview of the map, but the screenshot helps :)

To make that minimap show up in game you need to take that minimap file and copy it to your HUD/Minimap folder and name it ingamemap.dds. All the rest of that stuff in the PR tutorial is kinda when the map is finalized, a basic minimap is fine for now.

EDIT:
I took a look at the layout and I'm glad you have a nice plan going :) just a few notes that might help you as you develop;

Designing Forgotten Hope 2 Maps
This is a nice write up TS did about sector push gameplay design. It's helpful to keep those things in mind as you map.

Also, considering an urban map like this, keep in mind other FH2 urban maps (the good and the bad) and take lessons about what works well (and what doesn't :D)

For example; Battle of Brest also has 3 main 'routes' into each flag, but those routes tend to get crowded with 100 players on a server and makes for very meat grinder/ stagnant gameplay.

Fall of Tobruk on the other hand is another example of an Urban map that is a bit more open and the gameplay flows a little better.

You've already got your 'sectors' laid out which is good. Keep those in mind as you map and how the map should progress. Most professional maps have a 'narrative' where each Sector is categorized by a certain 'theme' or 'feel.' That makes the map dynamic and fun for the player to progress through. for example Seelow has the player fighting through the flood plains in the first sector, the ridge/ trenches in the second sector and the destroyed town in the third (St Vith has a nice narrative too).

You don't have to think too much about specific buildings or adding detail statics just yet, but it's good to keep in mind your 'narrative' (i.e. first sector is ruins, second sector is fighting over the open square or whatever)

It's good to start by just placing the major statics at this point to get an idea for how the player will move through the map so I wouldn't worry about building textures or vehicle textures etc... just yet.

Good stuff! :D
« Last Edit: 09-03-2018, 22:03:27 by Matthew_Baker »

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10-03-2018, 02:03:46 »
So much design reading got me dizzy. Will this be a meat grinder? Well, to a degree, yes. If the situation turns out to be unbareable I planned to just keep all building placements but move/remove flags and spawnpoints. That´s the main way I have here to balance the map after testing with players.

Since this could become a grenade fest I will probably limit grenade kits, at least on the german side. I tried to place open buildings in a way the defenders should have to occupy them all and the attackers would have to clear every house as they advance.

Maybe the map is already needing some testing, I wouldn´t like to add more art and details if say another street needs to be added to decompress the meat grinder.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11-03-2018, 00:03:41 »
I'd love it if you wouldn't limit grenade kits per se, but solve it by limiting the number of grenades per kit (one instead of more than one), and make it hard to rearm them at an ammo point.

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11-03-2018, 00:03:55 »
I thought about having the main rifle kit without any grenades to simbolize the supplies and ammo shortage. It could also be limited to 1 grenade per kit as you say, I guess it needs testing with actual players to see what´s best.

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11-03-2018, 09:03:17 »
I made the second sector a bit bigger for more flanking. Here are some raw pics.

First flag:

Approaches:

Second flag (will probably become a hospital):

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11-03-2018, 17:03:15 »
Looking good there, but it's still a bit sterile (esp the last two). I assume you're gonna add details to make it more "alive" as soon as gameplay is finished?

The houses on the first one look superbright, but I guess you'll be able to fix that with lightmaps.

Make sure you upload it here when it's finished so we can test it ingame :)

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 12-03-2018, 07:03:10 »
I´m working on those details now... at least until I figure out what to do for the third sector. I thought about a river crossing but the bridge could end up being a new Ramelle, which I don´t want. Maybe it could be just for the looks, with no real fighting on it.

I guess it will take me 4-5 months to finish it 100%.

I can upload it whenever testers are available. Sector 1 and 2 are playable right now.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 12-03-2018, 16:03:21 »
If you really want a good test, have something playable in time for the opening of the next CMP campaign.  We can get you 40-80 players, depending on whether we put it in the scrims or just an opening day event.

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 12-03-2018, 16:03:59 »
Where can I get more info about the CMP campaign? I need to speak to someone in charge of getting the maps set for the server and for distribution among the players. I suppose it´s done via Community Updater, right? How can I get to talk with those guys?