Author Topic: Out into the wild world of web.  (Read 1789 times)

Offline CosmonautVince

• Ef god dun exits, den how ded I Cosmonaut?
    • View Profile
Out into the wild world of web.
« on: 20-03-2013, 12:03:34 »
So I've been a single player kinda guy since the earliest incarnations of fh2, mostly because of crappy Internet connections, but I'm finally ready to head off into the public servers to prove my metal. So from a completely new start, anyone have advice or tips on how to ease the merge from single player to online? Like how to set up VoIP or ts? Or if I should play with immersion mode of because everybody else does? Anything I should look out for that I normally wouldn't care About in single player? Djinn I'm looking at you.
« Last Edit: 20-03-2013, 12:03:00 by VC »

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Out into the wild world of web.
« Reply #1 on: 20-03-2013, 20:03:50 »
The good news: Players don't have radar, unlike bots...

The bad news: Players actually know how to aim...

Seriously, just hop in and play, for a start the BF 2 voip is good enough, if you can even find a squad that uses it...

Pick a guy that seems experienced (either by his rank, or he is praised to be a good player), join his squad and follow him around for a while, you will pick up tips and good hiding spots that way... Make sure you don't get him killed by doing something stupid though... And always apologize when you accidentally teamkill someone.

Immersion mode is definitely a no go if you want to stay competitive and not get teamkills all the time...
And don't forget there are some server-specific rules like staying in line for tanks & planes and no attacking currently crossed out flags.

That's about it, just have fun and don't take things too seriously... FH2 public community is a lot more forgiving than PR one, for example...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-03-2013, 18:03:36 »
And always apologize when you accidentally teamkill someone.

Please do this, if there's one thing I can't stand it's people who don't apologize for stupid tks. I don't care if you run me over with a jeep in the main base while rushing to plane camp, or shoot my Fiat in the ass with your P3 on seige of tobruk ::) I'll think of you as much less of an asshole for the rest of the round if you at least type 'sorry' into the team chat. ;D

Other than the good advice Lucky gave I think you should just be prepared to die quite a bit your first time out and try not to get frustrated by it. I've seen alot of new players rage quit because they're not yet up to par with the people who play every hour of the day every day :P. Like he said, people actually know how to aim, and some aim very well. Until you get you 'quick trigger' reflex going ;) you'll find yourself alot of times coming face to face with someone like a dazlayer or a major koening (or someone with a MUCH better ping, if you're on the other side of the Atlantic like me 8)) and they'll put a bullet in you before you even have time to aim. :D just stick with it and in time as you get the hang of it it'll be the most fun FPS you've played and nothing will compare :)

(or you might come out and go 90-0 in your first round :P)

good luck either way and I hope to see you on the servers

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-03-2013, 21:03:33 »
...join his squad and follow him around for a while...
...Make sure you don't get him killed by doing something stupid though...

Now thats almost impossible.
Any time an inexperienced player follows me for more then a minute and within 5 meters, I usually shoot them in the foot and throw a bandage down then run ahead. Sure its not the nicest thing to do, but its better then both of us dying. My point being, not everyone is going to like it if you follow them like some gnat.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-03-2013, 21:03:07 »
Now thats almost impossible.
Any time an inexperienced player follows me for more then a minute and within 5 meters, I usually shoot them in the foot and throw a bandage down then run ahead. Sure its not the nicest thing to do, but its better then both of us dying. My point being, not everyone is going to like it if you follow them like some gnat.

Yes, we know you're a dick... :P

Anyway I didn't mean to literally follow him, just follow his orders if he's a squad leader, or check the map now and then to see what he's doing... You can also do it when you die with the spectator cam...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23-03-2013, 16:03:09 »
At first, don't go for kills, go for survival - ninja style. You'll avoid frustration and accommodate yourself to the new environment. Pick up a spotter class.

Actually yesterday I racked up a hefty (145) amount of points just from spotting for arty.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29-03-2013, 23:03:53 »
I wrote extensively on how to matter to your team, and when you play in a good squad, you get good.

Here it is. http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=18202.0

Also, there are usually 2 large squads at least. One is just big for no good reason, but one is usually a good squad, the kind you'd find leading the army and capping flags. They may or may not use VOIP, but if any squad does and sensibly, it would be them.

You'd also encounter such a squad moving against you; coordinated, fire and manouver, squad leader hanging back, clear signs the bastard are talking to each other over VOIP and spotting - So it only helps to be in one yourself.