Author Topic: Change The HUD  (Read 3423 times)

Offline ggaabbrr

• View Profile
Change The HUD
« on: 04-02-2012, 13:02:33 »
I would be nice to change and make the HUD minimal. I like how minimal the ammo display and sprint is. But the minimap and the whole chat  and server kill list could be changed somehow to make it more 2012 and not 2002. Because it's now similar to BF1942.
Minimizing the HUD would make the game more immersive and still leave the whole required information for the gameplay. Because I know there is a command for for completely removing the HUD, but this brakes the whole game fun.

Maybe some players like it now how it is. Then It would be a cool option to tweak the HUD to your style a bit, with some .txt file in your FH2 directory. Like with a command change the chat font size, or just completely remove it.

I like my HUD clean and minimal like in MAFIA2 or GTA4 :D and in a game so detailed like FH2 I would like it to be more immersive.
« Last Edit: 04-02-2012, 13:02:44 by ggaabbrr »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Change The HUD
« Reply #1 on: 04-02-2012, 17:02:53 »
Maybe some players like it now how it is. Then It would be a cool option to tweak the HUD to your style a bit, with some .txt file in your FH2 directory. Like with a command change the chat font size, or just completely remove it.
You already can:
Finally, when reading through the changelog you may notice another small feature - the Immersive Mode. This mode simply reduces the HUD to a minimum. It shows no health, no ammo and no minimap. To enable this feature you have to place an empty txt file in your mods/fh2 directory named "immersive-hud.txt".

Offline ggaabbrr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-02-2012, 19:02:32 »
This disables the whole HUD. I am talking about changing some parts of the HUD.

Offline CossRooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-02-2012, 22:02:13 »
You probably should suggest how they are going to change it and make it more minimal while retaining the functionality. You need textchat and a minimap for BF games and mods. What are you proposing they change, exactly? I'll agree that this hud is a bit invasive but I have no idea how it could be changed: I need everything it provides.

Offline ggaabbrr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-02-2012, 09:02:56 »
* fort the most part I suggest changing the in game letter font to a smaller one

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05-02-2012, 14:02:07 »
Chat text becomes smaller when you up your resolution.

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
remove the HUD, appreciate the game's beauty more
« Reply #6 on: 08-02-2012, 08:02:32 »
You probably should suggest how they are going to change it and make it more minimal while retaining the functionality. You need textchat and a minimap for BF games and mods. What are you proposing they change, exactly? I'll agree that this hud is a bit invasive but I have no idea how it could be changed: I need everything it provides.

Well PR seems to do just fine without a minimap.
And if you think about it a bit; removing the minimap would make you concentrate more on what is actually happening in your screen (+ audio clues) rather than trying to check the minimap for information. It would actually slow the game down a bit (which is a good thing imo) if the minimap was removed cos ppl would usually have to stop to check the overview map which slows the game tempo. Yes, I know, the minimap will never be removed from FH2 cos ppl are so accustomed to using it and taking it away would just create a huge outcry. I am just pointing out that there are positive aspects to it, if u remove some of the HUD.

One thing that could be removed is the player specific white text announcement saying that you killed this and that. The same info can be seen in the upper corner DM box as well, if u just pay attention. Imo the white text is redundant.

Also the hit-cross could easily go. I never really understood the purpose of it anyways. You shoot someone; if the target moves after u have shot (or u have not gotten a DM), heck you shoot again. No need to announce you separately that you hit the guy. It is this simple; he not dead, u shoot again.

If just possible, I at least would like to see the HUD (and chat boxes) made more subtle and as minimal as possible. Now the HUD just feels like something from a pinball game. Ppl would appreciate even more the beautiful graphics of the game itself if half the screen would not be filled with all the text and whatnot. But that is just cos i am spoiled by games that don't have that much HUD like RnL, DH, PR, I44 etc...

I know that it is possible to remove some aspects of the hud already with the immersion.txt but is there a way to change the place/size of chat/text boxes separately as u can do in e.g. Source games?

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: remove the HUD, appreciate the game's beauty more
« Reply #7 on: 08-02-2012, 11:02:35 »
Also the hit-cross could easily go. I never really understood the purpose of it anyways. You shoot someone; if the target moves after u have shot (or u have not gotten a DM), heck you shoot again. No need to announce you separately that you hit the guy. It is this simple; he not dead, u shoot again.

I decided to keep the hit-cross because of the way our maps are designed. We have made dark and messy maps where you can't anticipate or predict enemy movement at all. Up to the point where "tactics" become redundant. (just run around and suddenly bump in to enemy, fastest on the trigger wins. Or run somewhere thinking you are safe, then get popped by unseen enemy) This is why I want you to be able to get a hit-confirmation when shooting at enemies in the distance. For example firing rifles or MGs in to dark bushes far away.
If the maps were cleaner designed and simply better when it comes to player flow, collision points, predictable action bubbles, well communicated lines of sight etc, the cross wouldn't need to be there.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08-02-2012, 11:02:31 »
And if you think about it a bit; removing the minimap would make you concentrate more on what is actually happening in your screen (+ audio clues) rather than trying to check the minimap for information.
^ 100% this.

One thing that could be removed is the player specific white text announcement saying that you killed this and that. The same info can be seen in the upper corner DM box as well, if u just pay attention. Imo the white text is redundant.
Actually, I would remove text from upper corner as it is too much info about what's going on on battlefield IMO. You should concentrate on your surrounding not about someone who killed some dude on the other side of the map. I would leave white kill message as it is or even make it bigger in upper center to not cover your view (kinda bf p4f style). Kill message is part of fun. It's nice to see who you killed and who killed you as many players know each other from game and forums in our small community but why you can track whats going on in far B3 while being in F7?

Also this! Some servers (like FHGN) don't have hit indicators at all and it is much more fun imo, especially in long range shootouts, because you need clear shot to be sure your enemy is dead (kill message pops up), you don't know when you hurt him or suppress - shooting is more fun

I know that it is possible to remove some aspects of the hud already with the immersion.txt
oh, how I hate this. always when ppl complain about too disturbing HUD (what is a fact - face it!!) always some smartass suggest it or tell you to use command to hide HUD completely.  :-\

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08-02-2012, 11:02:44 »
But jan, implementing this will be oppression of the masses. Some of us are fine with the HUD and would feel cheated if it is removed.

If there is an option to remove it for yourself (And there, count-em TWO options), then why compel the devs to make a change that wont suit all players?

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08-02-2012, 11:02:16 »

I decided to keep the hit-cross because of the way our maps are designed. We have made dark and messy maps where you can't anticipate or predict enemy movement at all. Up to the point where "tactics" become redundant. (just run around and suddenly bump in to enemy, fastest on the trigger wins. Or run somewhere thinking you are safe, then get popped by unseen enemy) This is why I want you to be able to get a hit-confirmation when shooting at enemies in the distance. For example firing rifles or MGs in to dark bushes far away.
If the maps were cleaner designed and simply better when it comes to player flow, collision points, predictable action bubbles, well communicated lines of sight etc, the cross wouldn't need to be there.

Meh, game nights work pretty well without it... Also the planes become much harder to shoot down and the tank battles much more exciting... Also people stop whining "But I got a hit indicator, how is it that you aren't dead?!".

In my opinion without the hit indicator and given some time people would just adapt and start going in groups and actually try  to use "covering fire" as a lot of people firing at a guy in the bush
would have more chance of bringing him down faster than a lone guy praying that he will hit him in time... But of course people would actually have to learn to communicate with each other and that's not something you want, right?  ::)

It seems to me that it's just your lonewolf "Frag away!" mentality talking again...

The minimap, although not really immersive is a necessity in preventing TKs.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08-02-2012, 12:02:44 »
Yer, remove any form of feedback and in some time hardcore fans will get it.

But new people wont stick to the game because you will be creating a steep learning curve.

I dont think those features have any real flaw which arent personally adjusted by individual players.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08-02-2012, 12:02:58 »
Yer, remove any form of feedback and in some time hardcore fans will get it.

But new people wont stick to the game because you will be creating a steep learning curve.

I dont think those features have any real flaw which arent personally adjusted by individual players.

Well the kill messages will still stay... it's just that you won't be able to spam nades in a house and see a hit indicator and instantly know "Aha, he's wounded now I can rush in and kill him!". But personally I don't like the hit indicator only on vehicles as it makes fighting them too easy... But you're right if we remove it then the Boys rifle will become harder to use and tons of other small issues...

So it will have to stay, as we don't have a better, more realistic way of getting feedback to players.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08-02-2012, 12:02:55 »
The big reason though is that the game doesnt perfectly represent the real world. In real life, there ARE situations you wont know you got a hit, but there are others when a rifle shot or a tank hit can clearly be seen, where in FH2, representation is barely there.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08-02-2012, 14:02:05 »
The big reason though is that the game doesnt perfectly represent the real world. In real life, there ARE situations you wont know you got a hit, but there are others when a rifle shot or a tank hit can clearly be seen, where in FH2, representation is barely there.

Exactly... And that's why somewhat like the innovative way RO 2 tried to do it... By having realistic shot animations, slow deaths, and that voiceover when you kill someone and your charachter shouts ("I think I got him!" Die fascist bastard!" etc.)