Author Topic: Alternate History Maps Suggestion Thread  (Read 9744 times)

Offline Kildar

• Have a nice day.
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate History Maps Suggestion Thread
« Reply #30 on: 08-04-2009, 16:04:12 »
If only the BF2 Map Maker wasn't a unstable piece of garbage and was clean like Valve Hammer, then I would take the time to make a map or two =(

Offline Emperor Showa

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17-04-2009, 03:04:52 »
IMO Alternate History doesn´t work quite well without those fancy-schmancy toys that never made it into combat. Sure, some battles, like a Operation Sealion map would be nice, but seeing ideas that weren´t succesful in RL in action is also cool. And honestly I don´t know why FH2 shouldn´t portray them, too? (Of course not the Maus, because it saw combat ;))

SW's are not essential to any of these as maps. As I have said before, having an "Alternate history" map set in a run of the mill woodland and being told "Oh, this is right outside Moscow so its alternate history" is boring.  But there are many interesting environments and possible battles and scenarios beyond that and that woodland is the exception rather than the rule.

For example, the Japanese Invasion of Australia. You have Australia as the environment, which is unique for a number of factors, combined with the ANZACS vs. Japs and stuff going on in the ocean between battle ships, and the Japanese storming the beachheads and the utilization of gas warfare (the Australians were planning on using mustard gas and so forth against the Japanese; they were also planning on falling back from North Australia and regrouping in the South). Not a secret weapon in there.

Offline Twonkle

• Leave Britney alone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18-04-2009, 18:04:02 »

// aka [F|H]Strilo on pubbie servers.

azreal

« Reply #33 on: 19-04-2009, 00:04:39 »
If only the BF2 Map Maker wasn't a unstable piece of garbage and was clean like Valve Hammer, then I would take the time to make a map or two =(

Is not! Your just not awesome enough for the BF2 editor :P

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19-04-2009, 02:04:05 »

Is not! Your just not awesome enough for the BF2 editor :P

+10

BF2Editor is damn good.

Offline Emperor Showa

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26-09-2009, 06:09:33 »
Another idea which I popped in here to address:

*Battle of Hawaii: Following Japanese victory at Midway, the Imperial Military makes its way to the west Pacific with the task of invading and occupying the US territory of Hawaii.

If I recall, it was the Japanese plan to invade Hawaii following Midway should they have won.

Offline Havoc2090

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27-09-2009, 03:09:47 »
Operation Valkyrie would be awesome nice battle between werhmact and SS troops (basically if hitler was assasinated :P
We haven't the proper facilities to take you all prisoner! Sorry!, We'd like to, but we can't accept your surrender! Was there anything else? - Quote from A Bridge Too Far

Offline LtJimmy

• Confirmed FH2 Suggestion Thread Cynic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27-09-2009, 06:09:39 »
On the subject of alternate history and not secret weapons, I would recommend reading The Moscow Option by David Downing http://www.amazon.com/Moscow-Option-David-Downing/dp/185367463X
and Invasion: The German Invasion of England July 1940 by Kenneth Macksey http://www.amazon.com/Invasion-Alternate-History-German-England/dp/1853673617/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254025288&sr=1-1
ON the subject of secret weapons I would recommend My Tank is Fight by http://www.somethingawful.com/booklist/index.htm

Offline Waw_Slayer

• FHing since 0.7
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27-09-2009, 10:09:56 »
Hitler dindt had plans to invade UK.. he later created these plans because UK didnt surrender.. after defeating France.

What about OP sealion?
Your listening to psychedelic radio, todays topics; Weed.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27-09-2009, 18:09:39 »
Hitler dindt had plans to invade UK.. he later created these plans because UK didnt surrender.. after defeating France.

What about OP sealion?

What he is saying is true.

Hitler tought the UK will surrender when France falls. He was wrong and he created Operation Seelowe.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27-09-2009, 18:09:52 »
...which is what I'm making now.  If i get good, ill make a whole minimod of the german invasion of america!
...and canada.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27-09-2009, 19:09:28 »
You'd think if the Germans had enough strength to invade America they might have used a bit more on it on Russia.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27-09-2009, 19:09:09 »
If there was going to be a custom invation of united States map, it needs some custom stuff...

Say a Statue of Liberty model or a 2D variant in the distance, higher storey buildings, American style buildings, etc...

But if it did happen, and was done well, it sure will be sweet - Street to strret fighting etc, same goes for Moscow... plus SNOW!!!

What I'd really like to see is come-back maps... A better alpenfestung, but that will require alot more vehicles, raod to Ramelle, actually based on the movie directly with areas actually looking like it did, and Reichsbahn... that can be done with what is there, only loss will be the self propelled howitzers; Wespe and priest

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27-09-2009, 19:09:50 »
i want a rheinuebung

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 27-09-2009, 19:09:15 »
Operation Valkyrie would be awesome nice battle between werhmact and SS troops (basically if hitler was assasinated :P

Don't have to go alternate history for that. After the surrender Fallschirmjaeger troops were deployed to flush out pockets of fanatical SS-troops who refused to surrender.