Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 117169 times)

Offline Musti

• View Profile
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #75 on: 14-02-2013, 23:02:16 »
I know you were, MkI has 8 MGs. I guess he was just a lucky/good player, they happen. Trust me, unless you have serious speed advantage over somebody(or a bunch of friends around you) when you're in MkII Hurri, you lost, there's nothing you can do.
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 15-02-2013, 15:02:52 »
Made my first 4 kills with a single plane...that felt good. I am now Lv1 Rusky!

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 15-02-2013, 20:02:23 »

Catalina, get your own today!
WARNING!

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 16-02-2013, 01:02:18 »
But but... how?  :o
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 16-02-2013, 13:02:47 »
Port Strike + 4x1000lbs bombs on Catalina + a bit of luck = this
On Port Strike (or whatever its called), If you are on the northern team (starting over land) there is a shit ton of targets on the beach (there's a beach landing going on after all). There's lots of them, and all very close to each other, with one 1000lbs you can easily take out at least 3-4 targets, also, destroyers go down with one carefully placed bomb (needs to hit the enter of the deck). I managed to stay over the targets for
2-3 minutes, enough to reload 2 times by flying like a drunken maniac, before the left wing finally gave up and i ended up in my own bombs  :(
WARNING!

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 16-02-2013, 23:02:15 »
At what altitude do you dromp bombs with the Blenheim's, Beau's , etc.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 17-02-2013, 00:02:26 »
I don't fly those, can't help you there really. Although I would use Beau more as a fighter than bomber I guess, as it owns everything in the air too. So I'd just hunt enemy planes flying around 1000m high and then diving a bit down, dropping bombs and looking for the next aerial target or if you want to concentrate on bombing with it just gain some height.

Does not make too much sense using this bombing scope in like 3k+ meter altitude with a Beau I think though, that's more for a Catilina with 16 100lb's probably. Personally I'm also not good enough to hit moving ground targets with few 500lb from that altitude.

------
I'm currently flying the Avenger and love it. Spent like 120k lions in order to buy Dauntless and Avenger yesterday and after playing a bit today I got it nearly back already. The waist gunners rule pretty hard and I usually manage to shoot down enemy planes with it every round :P

Will be awesome when I have one more experienced gunner and many skill points on it.

Btw, any opinions on F4F-4 wildcat and Hellcat, is it worth getting one of them? They don't have like too great guns but can be equipped with rockets and bombs. I actually want a ncie fighter plane though,

I could imagine that the Wildcat is quite well armoured and takes some hits, but hard to estimate and there are not really much sources yet where you could go and have a look at the positive and negative aspects of the planes.

The other option is to ge left tree for Airacobra which has a cannon, but I'M afraid I can't handle this airplane well with gamepad, in a mission I played it felt very unstable and like reacting very sensitive on tiny stick movements, so not sure about that.

Anyway, I need a good fighter fast, got 1 P40 which is okay and then this improved Buffalo version which feels like having a rocket propulsion in its ass going 500 km/h and being totally uncontrollable, I always feel like steering a V2 in it ;D
« Last Edit: 17-02-2013, 00:02:23 by Surfbird »

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 17-02-2013, 00:02:04 »
I don't fly those, can't help you there really. Although I would use Beau more as a fighter than bomber I guess, as it owns everything in the air too.
He most likely meant Beaufort, not Beaufighter :D
At what altitude do you dromp bombs with the Blenheim's, Beau's , etc.
Going hight alt. with them is pointless tbh (unless there are thick clouds, that guarantee you can't be seen by the enemy) I use them for dive bombing (arcade mode 'n shit), and then just use the speed i picked up to run away (Blenheim can get to around 530, Beaufort is good for 600+ , no Tier 3 plane can catch you at that speed)
to my team. Generally flying low and fast makes more sense than trying to stay high, you can destroy way more targets that way, making sure every single bomb hits. If you really want to stay high, I'd say 1500-2000 should be allright.

Btw, any opinions on F4F-4 wildcat and Hellcat, is it worth getting one of them? They don't have like too great guns but can be equipped with rockets and bombs. I actually want a ncie fighter plane though,
I haven't used them personally, but people seem to be doing all right with them, rockets are always fun on a plane :D
The other option is to ge left tree for Airacobra which has a cannon, but I'M afraid I can't handle this airplane well with gamepad, in a mission I played it felt very unstable and like reacting very sensitive on tiny stick movements, so not sure about that.
DON'T, I just got one yesterday, dream crushed, it's horrible. This thing WOBBLES, just constant wobbling like its made of gel or something, 37 is pretty much random, one time it blows up planes in one shot, other it can hit Stuka 3 times and nothing happens. And it terribly bleeds off speed in the corners. It needs fixing, for now its impossible to fly (talking about the 4x.50cal P39Q, P39N is only slightly better, but still very bad)
Anyway, I need a good fighter fast, got 1 P40 which is okay and then this improved Buffalo version which feels like having a rocket propulsion in its ass going 500 km/h and being totally uncontrollable, I always feel like steering a V2 in it ;D

Upgraded P40 is very nice, with engine + fuel its pretty fast, polished fuselage should make it even better(don't have that yet).
I have no idea what you're talking about the Buffalo, It seemed great to me, super fast, good armament, reasonably maneuverable, nice and stable. I kept it until I got the Aircobra.
Have you got the A20 yet? That makes a really funny super heavy fighter. :D

WARNING!

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 17-02-2013, 01:02:47 »
Thanks for your opinions.

Dunno about Buffallo, I desperately want to get rid of it for long time no, I just can't control this plane. If I would manage my speed more carefully I'd maybe be able to to do something, but I'm usually going too fast unintentionally and I dunno. Furthermore, my wing literally ALWAYS gets shot off when I am behind a bomber after a few seconds already.

Anyway, P40 is nice indeed. But only with the upgrades. Before it was okay, but nothing more. I have it fully upgraded now and I'm fine with it, but I just need a second fighter plane that I can handle properly. Best would be some firepower as I still struggle to keep the aim on the target with gamepad, so I'm not really sure if I should be going for the Airacobra anyway.

But I also played the mission with it again, and the turn rate is horrible and it indeed wobbles, was nearly unable to keep it stable in order to aim at a ground target, on the other hand it has a 30mm cannon ;D

This guy in the video is just using the cannon on quite long range to snipe the enemy and does not use the mg, so he can follow the tracer better (also mgs don't do much dmg at that distance anyway) He does not even try to turn, just flying high sniping unsuspecting people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_81FclfCoQk Watch @ 11:30 and 13:30 for example.

Not sure if it's my style of flying though. And when someone is behind you you are pretty fucked in that plane I think.
Looks like a good, or maybe the best possible way to fly the plane anyway, worth to give it a try.
Also thinking about getting it because I need to unlock left tree earlier or later anyway. But I think I'll listen to your advice and don't go for it.

Dunno, about A20, don't have a need for a Bomber and it looks a bit too fat to me, in comparance to a Beaufighter for example.

Guess the Americans just don't have the real fighter planes at that stage. Most seem to be better fighter-bombers. But although it fits into this exact fighter-bomber category, I'll get the Hellcat I think. As you said, rockets are always fun :)

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 17-02-2013, 01:02:40 »
Why the hell is his Aircobra NOT all over the sky?! He seems to be flying with mouse and keyboard just like me, and yet for some reason P39 just wobbles for me all over the place, combat flaps or not, going slow or fast, meanwhile he is cool and stable, sniping people with the 37mm at 900km/h. I don't understand.
WARNING!

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 17-02-2013, 16:02:25 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uaMv4ZXZX0 ;D

Had to stop playing, decreasing my madness level.

Hellcat seems to be quite slow without upgrades and I'm realizing I'm just fucking sick of this 6x 12.7mm mgs, that make you shoot the enemy plane for 5 mins, while some 109 dives down and gives you 3 hits. No matter how good the plane itself is, as long as there are US mgs and no cannons, it's simply bullshit when you fly without mouse controls. All I'm doing is scoring hits and getting few kill assists or just flying bombers. Had my first aerial killstreak of 3 in this game today with a bunch of lucky hits in the P40 though. Nice on the one hand, pathetic on the other.

Think I'm gonna dump the US tree and go for some serious firepower, 109's, Spitfires, Beaufighter and stuff like that. Seriously, these Us fighters firepower is simply bullshit compared to what other nations get on level 6 airplanes, and you don't even have an advantage in maneuvering over mouse aimers, so although I like some planes like Catalina and Avenger, going US was a big mistake as the fighters just suck balls until you get high level.

Also thinking about playing Brit and getting the HUrricaneMk.II, maybe I'm more succesful with that one and it appears to be one of the planes with decent firepower at that stage. Furthermore the Beaufighter might be a good choice after that.

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 17-02-2013, 19:02:37 »
Really? I find I do best with the American fighters at level 4 so far. Japanese coming in at a close second

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 17-02-2013, 21:02:40 »
They are fine when you can play with them, but my problem is that I can't lead the target long enough, because I am not using mouse. It's very hard to adjust pitch yaw and roll to perfectly keep the aim on them, then add the maneuvers they perform and a few hits is usually all I can score.

So I would actually recommend the US for mouse aimers, as the way the planes behave in the air is quite good, but the low-mid tier US planes just lack firepower and the Airacobra with its cannon is just too broken to fly it properly.

So for me it's probably better to go for max firepower in order to be able to score kills, but the US tree is not bad in general, compared to the German planes the firepower is not good though, although there are some great planes for the Us too later on (Best version of Corsair for example (Lvl12 plane) with 4x 30mm cannons)

Regarding mouse aim in general I have to say:

Although it is not a bad idea, it kinda dumps balance as mouse aimers have to move the mouse a bit while I have to adjust pitch, roll and yaw with different buttons and axes. Then turning with mouse is not harder either and thanks to a stupid arrow showing where the enemy plane is, there is no way to get away from the enemy and outsmart him (therefore full-retard proof). A keyboard and mouse control, maybe a bit FH2 like would be better. Right now you can just completely forget arcade mode with joystick and gamepad as nearly everyone else is fyling mouse aim and has advantages only from it. Furthermore 50% of the maps have those weird 90 degree sloped mountains, a terrain that does not favour me at all either.Pretty sucky overall. I'm not the only one thinking like that and I just hope they do something about it or I'm out of this game as fast as I got into it.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 17-02-2013, 22:02:14 »
I find people are too lazy to do the climb to 3000+ m, thus I am relatively safe. But dropping bombs and hitting is kinda hard and I don't know what the bombs sight is set fto.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 18-02-2013, 00:02:44 »
Yeah, I'd like the bomber sights to be better adjusted. I usually fly 3000+ as bomber and 2500 as fighter. Can't hit a thing as bomber from 3000

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3