Author Topic: Cooking with hamsters...  (Read 5505 times)

[11PzG]matyast

Cooking with hamsters...
« on: 28-03-2009, 19:03:01 »
Well....let me introduce myself. I am 21 year old student of engineering, and that should be enough. I live in Finland, but am Hungarian...meaning I love food, but have issues with making it.

So...I thought I would post here about my  latest adventures with food, and making of food. Seeing as I am studying engineering, cooking isn't my strong side. Also, because I am student, the budgets are really tight, and the timeperiods are really short. Bonus are given to stuff that need the fewest possible dishes, for obvious reasons :P

Some notes:
##e=##euros
http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm for some conversions...this page is an excellent guide!

Cabbage with pasta (Hungarian recipe):
Ingredients:
  -1/2 cabbage 0.80e (around half a kilo)
  -200g flat pasta (I am using Tagliatelle, as there is a lack of Hungarian pasta here.) Make sure your pasta
   is  flat, and don't use spaghetti. 0.80e (comes in 1.60e 500g packages) 
  -Salt and pepper, or sugar.
  -Some oil (very little...5 small drops or so)
  -30min to 1h, depending on how your cabbage softens.

How to make:
Take your cabbage, wash it, and cut it up into small bits. Not mush it, just small squares. The smaller they are, the quicker it will be soft. Make sure you cut out the area where the root meets the cabbage (very white center at the bottom) because it is very hard, and won't cook well. After that, place the cabbage in the pan, with a tiny bit of your oil, and start cooking it. Set it to low heat, and place the lid on the pan. Stir it once in a while, and cook until the cabbage is nice and soft. Prepare your pasta according to the instructions on the packaging. If it tells you to add salt, don't overdo it.n If you burn the cabbage a little to the bottom, it's not the end of the world. Some people, including myself, like it that way. However don't burn it till it's black, otherwise it will make you quite sad.

How to f*** up:
-My cabbage was really poor. It was old, and very hard. I also cut it into too large pieces. If you can, get young a fresh cabbage, and make sure you cut it into small bits. Maybe even grate it, as long as you use a large hole.
-Adding too much oil in with the pasta (eventhough the box instructions said so), made the pasta quite sad.

How to serve:
Mix the cabbage with the pasta. Not too much pasta and not too much cabbage. Roughly 1/4 cabbage, and 3/4 pasta. You can eat it with salt and pepper, or you can put some sugar on it. I know, sugar on cabbage sounds strange, but the taste compensates for the initial oddity. I would recommend seasoning your own plate, as everyone has a different taste.

Bon apetit you bums!

Cottage cheese with pasta for 5 hamsters(Hungarian recipe):
Ingredients:
  -300g of cottage cheese (In Finland, go for the one that can be spread on the bread.
   "IngmanRaeLevite"  because it doesn't have too big lumps) You don't want big lumped cottage cheese.
   Costs around 1.5e
  -300g of sour cream ~1e
  -500g flat pasta (I am using Tagliatelle, as there is a lack of Hungarian pasta here.) Make sure your pasta
   is  flat, and don't use spaghetti. 1.60e (comes in 1.60e 500g packages) 
  -Szalonna(Hungarian backon is a back bacon made of smoked pork fat with the rind and is part of a
   Hungarian tradition.) OR Bacon. Prefferable with some fat on it. Don't buy dry bacon. Maybe around 5
   strips of bacon for 5 people...but this is entirely up to personal taste. Note here, you don't have to use  
   up all the bacon.

How to make:
This is all too easy. Take your bacon, and cut it into squares...prefferable 1cm"2 size. Put it on a frying pan, and fry until the bacon loses it's fat and becomes crispy. Make the pasta according to the instructions on the package.

How to f*** up:
I didn't eff up this time, but I would watch still the pasta. Avoid the excess oil when cooking the pasta.

How to serve:
Take the pasta, and roughly 1 tablespoon of cottage cheese, 1 table spoon of sour cream and put some of the fried bacon on it. I recommend pouring some of the bacon fat on the pasta. No need for spices, as the food is already salty due to the bacon. Mix the pasta, and voila!

Bon apetit you bums!

P.S. You may post your own recipes, but follow the rules set above. Make it cheap, make it simple and use the same layout for clarity's sake. Also, pictures are needed. Use SI units!

P.P.S. These aren't my pictures. My pictures will be coming later tomorrow, when I get my camera working.
« Last Edit: 29-03-2009, 18:03:43 by [11PzG]matyast »

Offline Kebert Xela

• View Profile
Re: Cooking with hamsters...
« Reply #1 on: 28-03-2009, 19:03:42 »
sounds good, but how about some pics  ;D

[11PzG]matyast

« Reply #2 on: 28-03-2009, 19:03:38 »
I found one online, my own will be coming soon as well :)

Offline Kebert Xela

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28-03-2009, 19:03:13 »
greeeeeeeeeat, maybe I will contribute to this thread and cook something myself, I could make some pasta with tomato sauce!  :)

azreal

« Reply #4 on: 28-03-2009, 19:03:16 »
this is making me hungry

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29-03-2009, 10:03:13 »
Me too - we demand food !!  :(

[11PzG]matyast

« Reply #6 on: 29-03-2009, 12:03:27 »
Added new recipe. 29.03.2009

Offline Anlushac11

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29-03-2009, 22:03:33 »
Never tried pasta and cabbage, will have to check on it.

I have made pasta and cottage cheese. I forgot I was out of grated Parmesan cheese but had cottage cheese so all I did was make the pasta, rinsed the liquid out of the cottage cheese with cold water in a strainer and added to the pasta, seasoned to taste.

Have you tried pasta, cottage cheese, AND CABBAGE?

LOL on the bacon.

"You want to know how good bacon is? To improve other foods they wrap it in bacon"..."And bacon bits? that's like the fairy dust of the food world" - Jim Gaffigan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaK9bjLy3v4
"And will you continue, until there are no more Narns, and no more Centauri? If both sides are dead, no one will care which side deserves the blame. It no longer matters who started it, G'Kar. It only matters who is suffering" - Ambassador Kosh Naranek

[11PzG]matyast

« Reply #8 on: 29-03-2009, 22:03:01 »
I wouldn't want to try cabbage and cottagecheese pasta...I am afraid it would be like vodka and milk, not so good :(

Offline Mackan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29-03-2009, 22:03:33 »
vodka is excellent with milk

Offline Mr. Pedantic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29-03-2009, 22:03:02 »
What if you don't like cabbage?

"U&R lives on forever. Even in New Zealand"

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29-03-2009, 23:03:07 »

There's a saying: "You can't force someone to his luck".

Biiviz

« Reply #12 on: 29-03-2009, 23:03:07 »
vodka is excellent with milk

Yes, a White Russian for example is quite tasty, albeit feminine drink.

[11PzG]matyast

« Reply #13 on: 29-03-2009, 23:03:45 »

You try the cottage cheese one?

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29-03-2009, 23:03:58 »
Unless you saute them hamsters are too tough and gristly to be enjoyable.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER