Author Topic: Removing the hit-indicator and kill messages for infantry  (Read 16000 times)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Removing the hit-indicator and kill messages for infantry
« Reply #135 on: 03-01-2011, 19:01:23 »
Natty, have you actually tried playing without hit indicator?

yes? I wrote a couple of posts up there... I hated it.. it felt like the game was bugging out... I clearly remember tank duels on aberdeen and some other map.. I just sat kind of like playing with one hand, and letting my head rest in boredom in the other hand, elbow on the desk.. just clicking on the enemy tank waiting for him to blow up... and the infantry fights were just like a lottery, no skill, tactic or fun involved at all.

Yea I have tested it... and to even consider that as a default setting makes me shrug.
Then again, I dont decide things alone, could be that we remove them, who knows? 8)

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 03-01-2011, 19:01:09 »
You call the computer telling you where to shoot skill and tactic? Come on.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Vicious

• I belong to Naughty Club
  • Panty Buncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 03-01-2011, 20:01:41 »
I just don't get why you still want kill messages but no hit indicator. That basically negates this affecting tank warfare at all. If the tank blowing up isn't enough. Just go play Duck Hunt or something.
So they are so infallible yet they can't even communicate and work with each other... sounds like politicians.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 03-01-2011, 20:01:24 »
I just don't get why you still want kill messages but no hit indicator. That basically negates this affecting tank warfare at all. If the tank blowing up isn't enough. Just go play Duck Hunt or something.
I don't need kill messages just for confirming kills. As told 100 times before, it's also becouse we like to play with community. What's the point of knowing anyone here if they are just anonymous enemies in game.

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 03-01-2011, 20:01:59 »
Because you still recognize your teammates ?

Offline Vicious

• Panty Buncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 03-01-2011, 20:01:16 »
Any recognition IMO should come at the end of the map. Any community you should be a part of should be ON YOUR TEAM.

And the whole tactics vs strategy discussion. When you affect tanks as well as infantry, you are changing the strategy of the map, not just the tactics. The entire strategy of the map changes when tanks are not expendable because they don't spawn back after 3 minutes or when they can gray a flag without having to move into a 10m radius.
So they are so infallible yet they can't even communicate and work with each other... sounds like politicians.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 03-01-2011, 21:01:45 »
Any recognition IMO should come at the end of the map. Any community you should be a part of should be ON YOUR TEAM.

Beeep. Wrong.

It ain't fun if enemy has no name. I like to kill irishreloaded while he leads hes (awesome) squad. Or killing tank that my clan mate is driving. Or finding out how badly our beloved devs compete against us in their own mod  ;D. Examples go on and on.
« Last Edit: 03-01-2011, 21:01:51 by ajappat »

Offline Kradovech

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 03-01-2011, 21:01:28 »
Any community you should be a part of should be ON YOUR TEAM.

It should, but most of the time thats not the case. Say I and 10 friends decide to join a server, there is no chance we will be on the same team, it would not be fair. Besides, most FH2 players know a lot of the other players, since we are such a small community.

I would prefer having a ~30 second delay between the actual kill and the kill message, that would be a nice compromise and keep both sides of the argument happy. Its been suggested before, no idea if its possible at all. Of course changing fundamental things like this can have an negative effect on the excisting playerbase.

Hit indicators are a different matter. In my opinion it belongs in bf1942 engine, where you had to lead your enemy a riddiculous amount in infantry combat. In Fh2 it is mostly 1 shot 1 kill anyway with rifles and with smg's the distances are not that far that you would need a hit indicator in the first place and when I blind fire into a hedgerow for example, I don't expect to get some magic indication of hits.
Hit indication for grenades is just stupid, that definitely needs to go. People have always complained about grenade spamming, theres no need to incourage it in such an unrealistic manner.
Only place where I find it useful is the tank vs tank combat - with such an ammount of different tanks as we have, the learning curve would be too steep. We cant expect the palyers to know the armor of all tanks and the pentration values of their guns. I know one freak from Norway who knows things like this by heart, but he's an exeption.

In any case, saying infantry battles require more skill and tactics with the hit indiactors is just silly, the fun aspect can be argued about.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #143 on: 03-01-2011, 21:01:36 »
   Got to agree with Krad on this one.  In the past (maybe in this very thread) I have been against getting rid of the kill messages.  But a nice delay (30 seconds or more) would be a great deal of fun.  Been playing that other mod more as of late and I really enjoy the chatter that comes from a fire fight when you don't know if you and squad have killed someone.  FH2 just feels to arcade like for me anymore.  Even tourney play has lost its luster for me of late.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 03-01-2011, 22:01:02 »
Gotta love posters who cant read 2 pages of the topic they are in ... :P

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 03-01-2011, 23:01:36 »
Arguing with Natty is totally pointless. It is like emptying a swimming pool with a fork. Except you might actually succeed emptying the pool.

So i am not the only one who thinks that  :)

And so that this messages won't get deleted again i'll add that, as much as some of us want to either delay or remove death messages totally, it most likely will not happen. Most ppl who have had elevators for 3 years wont go back to using stairs even if they live in the 2nd floor. Vicious' mini-mod might be the answer. Though i am afraid that it will only split the already small player base.

Some ppl are just so used to the idea that they don't want to pay that much attention what happened to the target they were just shooting if the kill appears as a text in the upper corner of the screen. This is totally understandable for casual gamers who after work just want to let some steam off.

Actually the difference isnt that big when u dont have those messages off cos u still see the ragdoll flying or tank blowing up. Only thing is that you dont know who that was that u killed and that seems to matter some. Anyway it just takes some time to get used to that there arent those messages anymore. Those who own RO/DH, go try to play on those "Realism Modus" servers and u see that after few minutes u arent looking to the edge of the screen for the magic announcement but u start to pay more attention to the sounds and what happens in the screen.

Offline im_a_lazy_sod

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 04-01-2011, 03:01:25 »
I'd like:

- to know if i've killed someone
- not to know if anyone else has killed anyone else - unless it's TK on my team - don't care about enemy TKs
- not to know where I have been shot from - I have 5.1 headset and this helps a lot figuring out where a shot has come from

TBH (if possible)

I'd much rather know if a tank has been destroyed - rather than if it has been destroyed and it's crew killed to

Imagine thinking you've knocked a tank out with a long range shot, only for it to be that it's crew bailed out to repair and your shot killed them instead and you think you've killed the tank? meanwhile another engineer has waltzed over and repaired it for another crew who knock you out as you turn the corner, expecting a smoldering pile or rubble only to find a fully operational tank who has just shot a round right through you

Scripting may limit this but I think it would help with gameplay - i.e. I'd much rather immobilize/knock out a tank than just kill the crew - another couple guys could easily get back in the tank/repair it whereas if it is knocked out it'd have to respawn

Offline Vicious

• Panty Buncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 04-01-2011, 08:01:27 »
I'd Like:

-A back rub.
 -Some hot chocolate.
 -10 Hours Hibernation.

Don't mean it's gonna happen. And you can type out all the shit you want but the admins have clearly said it ain't happening so if you want to work on something that is happening click on the link below. Otherwise, I don't know why the admins don't close the thread cause FH ain't doing this and I already know what I'm doing.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 04-01-2011, 08:01:24 »
..Otherwise, I don't know why the admins don't close the thread cause FH ain't doing this and I already know what I'm doing.

Because we don't do things like that around here. Besides, even a pile of dung can contain a diamond and the devs do read the ideas on the forum. :)

A nice blog/homepage layout you got there Vicious, but tell me, why did you call it a "mega"-mod? Are you planing to include stuff from other mods in your work? Like eastern front tanks from BGF?
« Last Edit: 04-01-2011, 08:01:45 by N24Reporter »
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 04-01-2011, 09:01:46 »
And you can type out all the shit you want but the admins have clearly said it ain't happening so if you want to work on something that is happening click on the link below.

First of all; Admins on this forum is not the same as devs of the mod.
Second; no admins ever said we won't do these changes to the mod.
Third; no devs have said we won't do these changes.
Fourth; devs don't announce mod changes in random public threads
Fifth; the discussion is still on topic and controlled, no need to lock it just because you want guys to read your blog, dont be so obvious  :)
Sixth; this thread is about Removing the hit-indicator and kill messages for infantry in FH2, not in a potential add-on.