Poll

do you want a supression effects that last longer ?

yes
52 (51.5%)
no
18 (17.8%)
2.0 like
31 (30.7%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Author Topic: supression effect  (Read 8756 times)

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
Re: supression effect
« Reply #30 on: 23-10-2009, 00:10:43 »
then i dont see why use that technical difficulty as a reason of the toned down of the shader , if it was already sorted

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23-10-2009, 01:10:01 »
Lobo stated some time ago that the reason for reducing the suppression effect was because it got so many complaints, mainly from "noobs" I believe as well.
I'm kinda dissappointed that they fell for the complaints.

and once again, my interest is quickly fading, I haven't played 2.2 since like 2 weeks after the release.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23-10-2009, 08:10:54 »
Lobo stated some time ago that the reason for reducing the suppression effect was because it got so many complaints, mainly from "noobs" I believe as well.
and once again, my interest is quickly fading, I haven't played 2.2 since like 2 weeks after the release.

Not really these were mostly hardcore FH0.7 fans and old vets that opposed the supression effect. Funny thing is in PR suddenly everyone liked it...

Well your fade in interest is sad, but then that takes you out of the discussion since you can't possibly remember how the effect is now.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23-10-2009, 10:10:30 »

You need to join a tourney, pubby play gets really silly once you see how it's supposed to be played ;)
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #34 on: 23-10-2009, 12:10:34 »
What if better sounds were added? Like bullets wizzing past and hitting the ground around you? That would make me keep my head down almost as much as an actual supression effect.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23-10-2009, 13:10:39 »

toddel said something diferent

The problem was that we could not set it correct. it was caused by your own guns or by your Own tanks next to you. I never heard that we removed it from some other point f view as technical reasons. ::)

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23-10-2009, 13:10:11 »

toddel said something diferent

The problem was that we could not set it correct. it was caused by your own guns or by your Own tanks next to you. I never heard that we removed it from some other point f view as technical reasons. ::)

I lol-ed:

The thing with the 2.0 supression effect is:

A bunch of FH1 players and well stablished FH1 communities complained in a very militant way against it, sometimes so hard like personal insults against these poor devs, wich only sin is try to showcase a believable WW2 experience, where a soldier will take cover if a wall of fire is coming. But this is, apparently, a violation against the rights of a gamer.

So we toned down the supression effect, in my opinion to irrelevant level, but the feeling was so bitter that our thought was: to the Hell with it.

Hopefully I answered to your question.
&
Totally agree with your whole post, that was the reason to add our supression effect ™.
The argument of those players was: we were trying to force a psychologic limitation to their gaming performance, and who the hell are we to do that, that we were party poppers, fun killers, fascists, whatever, you name it.

Some of the arguments were reasonable: systems with low specs suffered an excesive punch in their performance, the trigger range was too short and he could supress himself near walls, etc, but we must be honest, a bunch of players didn't like the supression effect and they were not vanilla casuals, most of them were FH1 veterans.

Bottom line: it was a bitter polemic, not worthy...

I'm literally laughing out loud here.  Hehehe. :D

*runs away screaming HUMOURRRRRRRRR*

But seriously, the primairy and secundairy  reason(s) for it's removal don't really matter. What does matter is that  X people are happy with how things are right now and Y people want it back to 2.0 like strenght or atleast more close to it once more. Well actually even that doesn't really matter saww it would be up to the devs but people are free to moan (and others to go "ugh not this shit again"). ;)
« Last Edit: 23-10-2009, 13:10:41 by Admiral Donutz »

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23-10-2009, 13:10:55 »
"I for one loved the suppression effect immediately after I experienced it." -FH player since 2004

Guess who that FH player is?
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 23-10-2009, 15:10:06 »
I once said this:
Suppression should be on a bullet per bullet basis

Its like this:
A bullet hits near a man, the effect of overwhelming the senses with such a near hit is brief but harsh since the mind knows it came close to a deadly object which just passed and struck close - The 'fear' percieved by the mind is based on a sense of the calibre firing i.e. a pistol bullet wont be percieved as deadly as say, an AT rifle round and less than explosive 20mm round etc... Also, an effect of the vibration from the impact of the round

Now,
2 factors ingame -
Suppression amount (SA) - caused by calibre of round or shot
Suppression length (SL) - caused by velocity/ viberatiion of impacted surface, percieved by brain in 'fear'

Every round has a suppression quantity that lasts for a set time - The smaller the round the lower the viberation effect, usually the shorter the supression length, the lower the suppression amount eg. An m1A1 carbine will have equal Suppression amount to a pistol (intesity of suppresive effect), but perhaps more suppression velocity (time suppressed)

A pistol round will be eg. 1x  SA and 1/2y SL
A rifle round (Bren, mg, bolt action, semi-auto) will be, say 2x SA and 1y SL
An AT rifle round will be say, 4 or 5x SA and 2y Sl (I'd put this as current amount of suppression for reference)

Now if each shot does this, then the number of shots will also determine how long the suppression - And since suppression 'grows on itself' i.e gets moreintense with further suppression - An mg may have a heck of suppression or just as much as a rifle depending on how many rounds were effective in suppressing the enemy NOT because its an MG in itself - obviously, an MG42 well aimed will have more suppressive effect than an mg34 or .30cal due to alot more bullets hitting close, thus keeping up the suppression effect.

A max suppression amount needs to be set to avoid overwheling the perspective of the player - At max suppression, you are disoriented enough not to want to poke out since you wont know left from right, but the effect itself will not increase with successive near hits, but remain the same or lower based on if shots come close or stop coming close

I wont go into grenades, AT cannon, other explosions or 20mm HE, but they will follow the same principle - This way, a person suppressing can do it with any projectile-firing weapon, and a number of riflemen can suppress a person too, just never with the same firing rate as a well-aimed mg42

« Last Edit: 23-10-2009, 15:10:36 by djinn »

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #39 on: 23-10-2009, 15:10:19 »
Yes, djinn.

That sounds perfect imo. But is it doable?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23-10-2009, 15:10:12 »
Yes, djinn.

That sounds perfect imo. But is it doable?

*Directed at devs*...

???

Offline Jürgen

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 23-10-2009, 16:10:22 »
"I for one loved the suppression effect immediately after I experienced it." -FH player since 2004

Jumjum?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23-10-2009, 17:10:51 »

Jumjum?

He gets motion sick from such things, I recall

Offline rattovolante

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 23-10-2009, 19:10:46 »
The thing with the 2.0 supression effect is:

A bunch of FH1 players and well stablished FH1 communities complained in a very militant way against it, sometimes so hard like personal insults against these poor devs, wich only sin is try to showcase a believable WW2 experience, where a soldier will take cover if a wall of fire is coming. But this is, apparently, a violation against the rights of a gamer.

So we toned down the supression effect, in my opinion to irrelevant level, but the feeling was so bitter that our thought was: to the Hell with it.

Hopefully I answered to your question.

sooo... all we have to do is spam the devs with hatemail intimidating them into re-inserting suppression in the mod!  :P

Just to make sure: yes, I am joking.
game.utilities.printScriptTillItFuckingWorks() fan

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 23-10-2009, 20:10:25 »
I am glad it's a joke, because I don't behead a fan since long time and I am getting rusted, it would not be fast and painless