Author Topic: Luttich 2.25...  (Read 4137 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Luttich 2.25...
« on: 24-01-2010, 15:01:33 »
Little one, but it might prove to be a melting pot of other 2.25 issues/ facts pertaining to this map

My question is, what vehicle/ v3ehicles/ factors are causing the CTD after loadup and can I just replace them or is there a replacement file around? I tried replacing the M4A1 Euro with the M4A1 Euro Brit as was mentioned in another thread, but it still CTDed on schedule

Anything?

Offline rd.king

• 1943 WLC
    • View Profile
Re: Luttich 2.25...
« Reply #1 on: 24-01-2010, 19:01:43 »
I changed the euro to sherman olive or late alt olive works for me.
there are 2 input of the euro to change in the objects file.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27-01-2010, 21:01:16 »
Ok, so I fixed this. I always forget not to edit the rar file but extract it, save and it and put it back

Noted some really interesting things with bots... but I think it should go into the AI and vehicles thread.

However, I will say, for the map - Like Zoomotorpool, once said, its probably better to have American bots attacking the uncap Axis flag - Allow for more fighting in the fields around the town and lets thr Americans defend all bases a bit better since they are too reactive, only retaking flags once they are lost, rather than defending all 4 at a go... although it may cause riot for you if you are an American squad captain with the commander spamming you to cap the German main

However, if this is implemented, I don't think Germans, after capping all bases, should move on to the uncap-pable American base - Their tanks are too powerful in this map as is

For Sidi Rezeigh, the same should go for the Brits - As well as removing as many of those heavy tanks as possible, perhaps teaching medium tanks to use capped-AP shells against heavier tanks too

A map that could use defending bots NOT attacking the enemy uncap-pable base is Seige Tobruk, since moving into the open space between them and the German base doesn't quite work for them and their tanks seem to own the Germans making it impossible for Jerry to even cap the first line bases
« Last Edit: 27-01-2010, 21:01:10 by djinn »

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28-01-2010, 10:01:44 »
...I always forget not to edit the rar file but extract it, save and it and put it back...
Hang on...you extract the whole server.zip and then re-zip it??

When I change vehicles, I just go to the file I want to edit (in WinRAR), double-click to open it and when I'm done I close (and save) it.

That's it...the archive will update itself. ;)

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28-01-2010, 11:01:23 »
I think I've finally worked out how to fix the Luttich bug: It's due to an error with the AI scripting for the turret-mounted .50 cal MG mount attached to some Sherman variants. One workaround mentioned is to replace the Shermans with other tank types, but after some looking through the AI data files, I think I've found a way to fix the problem directly.

Open "vehicles\land\US\m4a1_turret_gunner\ai\objects.ai" in objects_vehicles_server.zip and change the following lines at the end of the file:

aiTemplate.addPlugIn m4a1_turret_gunnerRearGunnerArms
aiTemplate.addPlugIn m4a1_turret_gunnerRearGunnerUnit
aiTemplate.addPlugIn m4a1_turret_gunnerRearGunnerCtrl

to:

aiTemplate.addPlugIn m4a1_turret_gunnerTopGunnerArms
aiTemplate.addPlugIn m4a1_turret_gunnerTopGunnerUnit
aiTemplate.addPlugIn m4a1_turret_gunnerTopGunnerCtrl

With this change, Luttich now loads in both SP and co-op modes. I haven't tested it enough to see if the AI uses the Sherman gun mounts correctly (it  doesn't help that bots don't spawn at the base with the US tanks, at least at the start of the game) but they should be OK.

I think the "HMG_M2HB" weapon attached to the m4a1_turret_gunner object is also missing an AI template; it's defined as "Stationary_M2HB_AI" but there is no AI template with this name. I don't think this will crash the game, however (though it'll probably prevent the AI from using the gun effectively) but it's fairly easy to add the missing AI template, or edit the weapon to use an AI template from an existing weapon (such as the M1919A4 .30 cal)

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28-01-2010, 15:01:10 »
Hooray! We've got a Normandy map with vehicles that works! :)

...I haven't tested it enough to see if the AI uses the Sherman gun mounts correctly (it  doesn't help that bots don't spawn at the base with the US tanks, at least at the start of the game) but they should be OK...
They certainly do, although the bot on the coax MG (seat 2) in the M4A1 aims but doesn't fire.

I changed those 3 lines and played a whole round - no CTD. Nice one, Drawde :)

Drove an M4A1 towards Mortain and picked up a pair of hitch-hikers on the way. While I was looking for a target for the turret gunner, I was startled by a bazooka firing right next to me. Turns out it was the bot sitting on the back of my tank... ;D

I dunno what Legion did, but ever since he fiddled with the ai, Luttich has been filled with snipers...snipers that carry bazookas...(see pic - bot sitting on the tank is shooting at something so far away I can't see it)...

(cont.)...

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28-01-2010, 15:01:03 »
...and if you get lucky and pick up the right hitch-hikers...you end up with the ultimate anti-tank tank... ;D

Offline Tubesteak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28-01-2010, 20:01:31 »
They certainly do, although the bot on the coax MG (seat 2) in the M4A1 aims but doesn't fire.

The problem I believe is that the AI for the hull MG is created in the object AI but not created in the weapons AI.  In fact most of the US and GB tanks do not have any hull MG AI entries.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29-01-2010, 21:01:40 »
I don't know if its just my 1GB RAM PC, but it got to a point where the Yanks had recapped all the bases and the attack simply stopped - All German tanks remained at their base occupied, engine running, but no one attacking, infantry stood around - Only a hanomag or two would come to town, get blown by all the tanks parked there and rinse, repeat

I hope to TK the infantry and jump in the driver's side of the tank, switch with a bot, in order to get that vehicle moving again..

What's with that? And yer, I can't emphasize enough: American bots should be ordered to attack the German main and MAYBE, if Germans don't pwn the Yanks too much by doing so, the Germans should also attempt to attack the American main once THEY cap all town flags

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30-01-2010, 02:01:25 »
The problem I believe is that the AI for the hull MG is created in the object AI but not created in the weapons AI.  In fact most of the US and GB tanks do not have any hull MG AI entries.
Cool, after I fix all my stationary guns (read this: http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=4251.0 ), I'll see if I can fix that.

The Germans are quite happy to use the hull MG on their tanks. Infantry don't stand a chance when both MG's (hull and turret) are blazing away.

I don't know if its just my 1GB RAM PC, but it got to a point where the Yanks had recapped all the bases and the attack simply stopped - All German tanks remained at their base occupied, engine running, but no one attacking, infantry stood around...
I noticed the same thing, got worse the longer the round went. The bots love those turret MG's (both sides), more so than the driver's seat. ::)

Although I found they weren't even getting in the driver's seat, just getting on the MG and sitting there. And it's not only tanks, it's halftracks too. Same with the Greyhound...one bot sat on it's MG for about 15 minutes before I had to go and get him.

I don't know why, but this problem seems to be a lot worse on the German side...so much so that I spent almost half the round switching bots into driver's seats and chasing infantry around with a Kubelwagon in the German main... :P

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30-01-2010, 03:01:24 »
Djinn, a map with anti-base-camping (ABC) system makes attacking uncap base impossible.

I only propose that for maps without ABC like Bardia for example. It can replicate both counter attack or concentrated defense point, however, with ABC... they'll just die crossing the ABC area.

About zook sniper, i think Legion hasn't change the range of the bazooka ai template yet. He said he set the range into the real world value of 300-600 m IIRC.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30-01-2010, 04:01:36 »
yer, well they fire the shrek and zook alot less, which is actually a cool thing. But maybe, not so fun - I actually miss getting shreked when using the AT gun for cover against the German onslaught.

@ CannonFodder
Yer, I now really, really hate bots ability to camp vehicles indefinitely- *Looking up into the sky* "stationaries only, stationaries only!"
Camping mobile vehicle total kills it in this map. And while the Panther top-gunner is as deadly as those in FH1, the Wolverine's top gunner sits there, spontaneously becoming deadly and then returning to vegetable state. Maybe that's a good thing since he has that wierd 360 degree angle which would make him just too deadly

Also, bots don't fire at such positions with small arms... Come to think of it, bots NEVER fire small arms at people in open vehicle positions, they just toss smoke until the game lags - And now, barely any proper grenades either *hint, hint*

Also I noted something - The 2 front seats of the Panther are invulnerable. You cannot shoot poeple/ bots from there - The bullets pass right through. I even tossed a nade right at their feet... same thing.

@ Zoomotorppol
Trust me, this map NEEDS bots fighting around the town more and not just inside it - The gameplay currently becomes less strategic and more shootemup after a while of the repeated to and fro. Sure, a few bots will die going above  and beyond the call of duty, but it will certainly get the game more spread out.

« Last Edit: 30-01-2010, 04:01:32 by djinn »

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30-01-2010, 07:01:24 »
yer, well they fire the shrek and zook alot less...
I dunno about that, the bots in that last pic would shoot continuously if there were enemy vehicles around.

Maybe there's less AT bots in Luttich now compared to 2.2... :-\

...Camping mobile vehicle total kills it in this map...
I had my team of 25 (inc. me) reduced to 7 vehicles at one stage...everyone was in a vehicle ::)

Oh well, at least the bots sitting on tanks will happily fire on the enemy.

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30-01-2010, 18:01:23 »

This shouldn't be the reason for the problem - the hull MGs use the weapon.ai from the attached gun entity (in this case Coaxial_Cal30_Main). Some of the German tanks have hull MG entries in their own weapons.ai file, but I don't think the game actually uses these, there are no references to them in the .tweak file.
You're right though that there are some weapons that the AI doesn't seem to use - the Vickers .303 on the Chevy truck and the rear MG on the SdKfz.251 are other ones. 
I'll have to do some more testing to see if the Sherman hull MGs work correctly - I've made a lot of changes to the AI files so may have fixed the problem already. I certainly noticed the AI using both the hull and hatch-mounted MGs on the M5 Stuart.

Offline Tubesteak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30-01-2010, 20:01:31 »
I've haven't played with it yet, but I think that the coax weapon is separate from the hull as it's tied to an armament weapon.  The German tanks like the panther have all the applicable entries.

It's good see we're working as a group to sort the issue though!