Author Topic: Realism?  (Read 6084 times)

Offline bakehouse

• View Profile
Re: Realism?
« Reply #30 on: 22-04-2009, 12:04:52 »
yer but if u took away that view you would not be able to use the arty as good and would put off people from providing that support....it might be unrealistic but hey it does the job
:) WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............its hell>>>>>>>>deal with it :)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 22-04-2009, 14:04:58 »
If a soldier stands still long enough for you to home in on him, then you deserve the kill, I see nothing wrong with this.

As with everything in this GAME it is a nice trade-off between fun and 'realism'.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22-04-2009, 15:04:10 »
But here is the rub, how would YOU all like it if you found out the PR fans were bashing FH2 on their forum site

You never visited their forum, right?

(ok, ok, everybody has black sheeps)

« Last Edit: 22-04-2009, 15:04:55 by Lobo »

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 22-04-2009, 17:04:32 »
It's only about taste, some like this, some like that.. some like both... I don't understand why people stubbornly insists with comparing these two mods....

And why I keep on explaining it to deaf ears, over...and over..again... (Im sure 1 day after this post, there will be a new thread by excited "just-off-of-a-PR-server" player saying -"omg I just played PR they had XXXX or YYYYY).

Anyway: Everybody in FH2 dev&test team thinks that PR has done an outstanding job with their Mod. They have created a playerbase, niched themselves and most of all advertised themselves with a powerful marketing machine.

We have built up Forgotten Hope over 5 years, it has the same amount of work-hours and material as any professional game out there, and can without_a_doubt be labelled "Original Game" we simply just don't have our own engine  :P so it is still a "Mod".

Sometimes you might see players on a CoD4 forum refering to BF2, or someone on an ArmA forum refering to CoD4.. Im sure... but what does it mean?.... Nothing.

PR and FH2 is two totally different concepts. Yes. Totally. Just because we are the two biggest Mods for BF2 (In terms of material, design, production) doesn't mean we need to care about the other part.
We don't.

We care as little about what is going in PR HQ that we do whatever CoD is doing, or ArmA, or BiA, or any other shooter out there. We simply do not care what they do, how they do or why.
But as we are professionals at what we do, we can see that whatever they are doing, they are doing it good. No one objects this. We simply are bored to death with PR-this and PR-that, its 100% irrelevant for us.

What we share is: we are a BF2 mod, we make maps and objects for 64 people to fight in a confined area (a map) for x amount of minutes. That's all we share. How we choose to adress certain issues (be it fundamental design issues like GameMode or minor issue like rifle-sway) has nothing to do with what the other Mod is doing.

You can start spamming links to this post whenever the letters PR show up. We have nothing to say about PR except "good job, glhf" Some like it, some don't. What we all hate is endless discussions that are comparing us... If you never designed anything - A picture, a song, a map, a model, a mod, a game, a movie, a system, a network, a machine, a robot, whatever - then you might think that a product is just "stuff" that you "put in" to make it "better"... You might look at a PR feature and think "hey, that would be COOL in FH2!" - that's not how it works... we dont just "put stuff in", not at the level we work, not the way a devteam of ~20 people and testteam of ~Xhundreds work...

The Mod is not an amusement park where you can throw in a fun new ride in some empty corner "hey! we need elephant roller-coaster, its fun!"... Even if the elephant ride is fun for everyone, there are more important issues to take care of (core concept) this philosophy is shared by anyone who has produced, designed or created something... But Its not all about the personal "creative integrity" either, not when you work with many people. There is a "community integrity" that you all people (players) have helped build up over 5 years. This is what we value, alot more than cool features or whatever works in another (totally unrelated) concept.

Makes sense, right?  ;)
« Last Edit: 22-04-2009, 19:04:03 by Natty »

Offline Hollowpoint9mm

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 22-04-2009, 18:04:42 »
In case you guys didn't know, PR won moddb mod of the year and editor's choice mod of the year and they have been in second place for 2 years in a row. So they must be doing something right.

Offline bosco

• View Profile
    • Project Reality
« Reply #35 on: 22-04-2009, 18:04:09 »

Makes sense, right?  ;)

Great post.  :)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 22-04-2009, 18:04:34 »
In case you guys didn't know, PR won moddb mod of the year and editor's choice mod of the year and they have been in second place for 2 years in a row. So they must be doing something right.

Nobody is saying that they aren't doing things right, but they just have the bigger community.:)
If FH2 were to be exactly like PR, then people still would play PR because they love fancy modern weapons and because FH just wouldn't work on PR's basis.

Edited: Just read Natty's post and be gone ye deamons. ^^
« Last Edit: 22-04-2009, 18:04:19 by N24Reporter »
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 22-04-2009, 20:04:36 »
How many rocks did Al Qaeda throw at the World Trade Centre in New York?

PR is totally balanced towards the "America, fuck yeah" attitude

I'd like to call bs. I think an American soldier in Iraq will be having more stones thrown at him than airliners.

Offline Meadow

• You still might very well think that
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 22-04-2009, 21:04:34 »
How many rocks did Al Qaeda throw at the World Trade Centre in New York?

PR is totally balanced towards the "America, fuck yeah" attitude

I'd like to call bs. I think an American soldier in Iraq will be having more stones thrown at him than airliners.

I would also like to question why there is some assumption that the Insurgents in PR (Iraqis, hence why they're insurgents) are Al Qaeda (largely comprised of Jordanians and Saudis) - especially the civilians! You're telling me Al Qaeda, during their now-aborted operations in Iraq, shipped thousands of green-jumpered CIVILIANS into hotspots and armed them with stones?

To understand the difference between the hostile incursions into Iraq of Al Qaeda in their attempts to destabilise Iraq and the urges of some citizens of Iraq to band together and fight off who they see as invaders (not that I in any way approve of violence by any party in Iraq) is crucial, and a lack of such an understanding is ironically enough quite typical of the 'America, fuck yeah' attitude.
Sustainable business practices are not endorsed by FileFront

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 22-04-2009, 21:04:34 »
you all DO realize PR was only mentioned in passing. GOD, you guys are on FIRE when it comes to that topic. There were alot more concerns with realism the initial post had than just PR...

Offline Meadow

• You still might very well think that
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 22-04-2009, 23:04:26 »
you all DO realize PR was only mentioned in passing. GOD, you guys are on FIRE when it comes to that topic. There were alot more concerns with realism the initial post had than just PR...

Although I've not responded to the original post with accusations of PR-loving, I'd just like to disagree. The only accusations the original post actually made were that the gameplay was 'far behind PR' and that FH2 played just like vBF2 - the first is a matter of opinion, the second is simply false. I saw little actual constructive criticism in the post, only 'this isn't realistic, sort it out'. An exception of course is the reasoned discussion of the plane physics in FH2, that was constructive.

So yes, I'm not sure where you get the impression that he hardly talked about PR and had 'alot more concerns' than that with regards to FH2's realism.
Sustainable business practices are not endorsed by FileFront

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 23-04-2009, 00:04:04 »
I'm not going to get sucked into the PR vs FH2 thing.

But, I would like to point out that there are TWO manuals for FH2.

First up, the Forgotten Hope 2 Wiki.  It is updated fairly frequently when new information is released by the Devs.  It could be a little more "Joe BF2" friendly, though (right now, it assumes that the reader knows the difference between 40mm AP shells and 75mm HEAT shells, which may not be true).  It has a lot of eye candy (try looking through the static objects pages and then try to say that the FH2 Devs aren't talented or aren't making anything new, I see several hundred objects that are top-notch quality), but it could use a bit more actual gameplay instructions and/or tips. 

The other one is a little outdated.  The FH2 Manual (Download it here) has a much more user-friendly, maybe even casual implementation.  As far as I know, it hasn't been updated since the first release of FH2 (the one I uploaded above is the only version I know of), so some of the info in it is outdated, and a lot of the newer additions to the mod aren't included.  However, it may be useful for the more casual FH2 players out there, and let's face it, hard-core FH2 fans don't need a manual.

As an aside, may I suggest a new version of the pdf FH2 Manual for the 2.2 release, including all the new stuff from version 2.1 and 2.15 that isn't in the version I uploaded to FileFront.  By the way, I uploaded that file over a year ago, when I first found it.  I can't remember why I uploaded it, though...  To tell the truth I don't even remember where I found it (Was it included in the FH2.0 release?  I can't find it in my current 2.15 installation...).  Anyway, is Konti still active?  I think he was the one who made the pdf Manual.

EDIT:  After a little research, it seems the pdf manual isn't an official FH2 production.  But it still has some good info in it and is a good idea.  Maybe the FH2 Devs could make an official version for the 2.2 release?  Or maybe incorporate some of the info from it into the Wiki?
« Last Edit: 23-04-2009, 00:04:54 by Ionizer »

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23-04-2009, 01:04:47 »
And I will add the four FH2 Basic Training videos

http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/main.php?module=media&area=videos&lang=english

Easily the most user friendly way for a rookie, to get into the FH2 Universe

Offline Ksoje

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 23-04-2009, 15:04:48 »
there are a lot of things in PR that are not realistic - just frustrating....
PR is ok, but FH2 is better. You don't have to wait for hours until someone gets in your tank as driver, and you don't have comm issues with that player. In all the (short) time I've played PR, I ran into just 1 guy who knew what he was doing as a tank driver.
the whole squad thing is nice with the kits and stuff, but it's not always fun. PR is good only as the other players are. If you're one hell of a sportsman, with cooperation to and fro, its ok; but if you get landed with bunch of solo-ers, there's nothing much you can do, even when the game so called forces you to cooperate. sometimes, it just doesn't work.
finally, FH2>PR

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 24-04-2009, 18:04:27 »