Author Topic: Battlefield 4 announced  (Read 8594 times)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 4 announced
« Reply #105 on: 15-08-2012, 08:08:04 »
But for EA, surely profits comes first.
What else should come first for a publisher? ;) Their job is to make profit, nothing else.
DICEs job however, is to create awesome gaming experiences for players, and guess what: Players like these modern-era settings in games :) It's not like the game developers together with evil marketing plans somehow brain-wash millions of people in to believing they like modern-era games. They simply prefer it. To them it's way cooler to play with current weapons and equipment which is used in conflicts that go on at the same time. If WW2 was going on right now, perhaps they'd prefer MP40s and Garands, but for them, these are ancient and old weapons that they don't see on CNN every day.

Just accept that most players out there simply prefer the modern era. Sure "ww2" and other old conflicts can be fun in games, and could most likely come back once the fatigue of the old ww2 games have worn off. Many players out there (who are older than like 16-18) are still fed up from all the generic ww2 shooters that were pounded out between 2002-2008, The "modern era" still has a few years left in it, then Im sure the current generation of gamers will be as fed up with that as the previous generation were with the ww2 theme.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 15-08-2012, 09:08:50 »
Yeah, ain't saying that it is wrong either.

But they need to come up with something original, not just "cashing in to the trends."

It came to me that this has become a pattern in most game developers. You guys are not classifying your product lines based on the console it is made for, but rather based on the genre. For example, what AAA FPS do EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Microsoft Games released?

EA and Activision constantly competes in that genre too often. Ubisoft played more into the niche market of campy, buggy, but different games.

IMO, this release of Battlefield 4 is not that "good" as when the Battlefield 2 was released. It is not rejuvenating, improving, or putting it in lead of the competition. Perhaps BF3 is already the maximum that the market could absorb. Even there is already negative comments out there where people began comparing BF3 with CoD:MW, despite both games being completely different (one is sandbox shooter the other is strictly scripted FPS). BF4 will be just another title to milk out what was paved by BF1942, made great by BF2, and finally lifted out to near-exhaustion by BF3.

I hope I am wrong though, and DICE could feature something great in this new title of the series. All this time, modern whorefare was all about dessert, urban fights, snows, trying to replicate what gamer kids see in TVs and Hollywood movies. They could incorporate more varying theatres and situations.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 15-08-2012, 11:08:41 »
Modern again?... ::)

It'd be nice to see them show a bit more imagination this time round when it comes to the opposing armies. Going from, at least, seven different factions in BF2 (incl. SF) down to just two in BF3 was a pretty drastic cutback.

I s'pose it can't get any worse.

BTW, this is the BF4 thread, can we please not turn this into another 1000 page debate about modern gaming?

Go argue in this thread: http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=17840.0

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 15-08-2012, 12:08:34 »
I think Americans and Russians fighting it out over river Seine is much more innovative than having germans and americans fighting in Normandy in 1944  ::)
« Last Edit: 15-08-2012, 12:08:30 by Natty »

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 15-08-2012, 12:08:08 »
I think Americans and Russians fighting it out over river Seine is much more innovative than having germans and americans fighting in Normandy in 1944  ::)
It was innovative in the first time. Now it's just another generic scenario like Americans in Normandy in 1944.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 15-08-2012, 12:08:35 »
That said, I think the middle eastern theatre is boring... what about North Korea, Sudan or west-african (black hawk down) countries? Or Tchetnya or Armenia, Georgia etc? COLD WAR type environment, 1985 Flashpoint etc? There are cool modern-era conflicts to draw inspiration from... doesnt matter "what year" we pretend it is. What matters is if the things we look at when we run around shooting each other in the face, sends little jolts of excitements through our bored, watered-down gamer brains.

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 15-08-2012, 12:08:57 »
I mean, i could deal with another modern game, but where is the diversity? If they said tomorrow it would feature major European powers like France, Britain, Sweden, Germany, etc. Then maybe id be excited. But as is, i have big doubts that will happen. I agree there are plenty of environments left to cover, but most of them are being replaced with built up modern settings and middle eastern deserts. Wheres my modern iwo jima, kursk, etc? There are also a ton of old maps, that could be brought to life in the modern day that get ignored, some nostalgia would also be nice. Hell, three quarters of the people i meet that play battlefield 3 have never even heard of Bf2, let alone 42.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 15-08-2012, 13:08:14 »
what about North Korea, Sudan or west-african (black hawk down) countries? Or Tchetnya or Armenia, Georgia etc? COLD WAR type environment, 1985 Flashpoint etc?
The campaign starts in late 60's / early 70's.

- The Soviet tank armies are advancing! Few hours and they'll be in the west!

Mission one: The secret base of Luftwaffe tactical ground attack squadron has been hit by soviet bombs! Only four planes remain operational. You, a new pilot in the squadron, are being rushed along the underground hallways towards the plane bunker.

Mission starts: The planes take off, radio chatter introduces you to your lead pilot. It's Kurt Kuhlmey! The other rotte in your schwarm is Günther Rall and Gerhard Barkhorn! Amazing! You are flying with three legendary WWII pilots!

But what's the objective..? Your F-104 is carrying a... tactical nuke!? You must throw it on the advancing soviets if they cross the border!? Amazing! Of course they cross the border and you rain fission on them.

Mission 2: A tank mission! Dozens of tank stand waiting in the German countryside. Mushroom clouds rise above you, dust and smoke everywhere. Something is moving in the midst on the dust... Oh no! The Soviets had Obyekt 279 tanks in the first lines of the attack! They survived the nukes!

Objective! Destroy the advancing Soviet tanks! Epic Battlefield (tm) tank battles commence!

Mission 3-n: You must push back the red tide! You fight as German infantryman! British paratrooper! German tank destroyer! French special forces! Fly planes! Drive tanks! Battlefieeeld!

In the expansion pack you play as the soviets! amaaaziiing!

The multiplayer maps are the good old battlefield style, from BF42 to BF3. Tons of weapons, tanks, planes and helicopters.

No fucking "Russian invades Europe and AMERICANS fight them in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now OH MY GOD THEY ARE DOING IT AGAIN IN 2013! INNVOA-FUCKING-TIVE!
« Last Edit: 15-08-2012, 13:08:35 by Thorondor123 »
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 15-08-2012, 13:08:33 »
Yes, that's the only possible scenario of "semi-modern warfare" theme for a game that features another US vs. Russia match that won't be as cheap-ass, no-brainer idea.

Like, "do you know, the world was at the brink of Armageddon back then, and you could have not been born today if..."

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 15-08-2012, 13:08:57 »
The amount of kids today that have interest in anything before 2000, let alone know anything about it, is about 1%. I believe it was Operation Peacekeeper (a BF2 mod) that build upon a semi-modern clash of 'cold war' powers.

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 15-08-2012, 13:08:22 »
amazing campaing.

until DICE dicedis to add big flashing read arrows to every enemy tank in the battle, making is as challenging as eating your own snot, and makes you sit in the second seat of the plane, making it just another turret section on the game.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 15-08-2012, 14:08:38 »
Ramirez! Go X that Y with your Z!

If Doom was done today, just to hammer my point home once and for all.