Author Topic: Project Normandy [Mini-mod for PR] (Big post)  (Read 9108 times)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Project Normandy [Mini-mod for PR] (Big post)
« Reply #30 on: 07-12-2011, 20:12:08 »
@Zoologic: ownership is not defined by time invested

@Lainer: What is "a map"?... you need to have an understand of what a map technically "is"

- Heightmap (not owned by mapper)
- Textures (owned by mapper)
- Static Objects positions (not owned by mapper)
- game play layout (not owned by mapper)

So yes, any mapper could take for example Sfakias heightmap and convert to PR, then replace all statics with PR statics, then paint the terrain. Use the game play file and have flags on exact same position, spawns and all that... Just the same we could take some PR map and convert to FH2 if we felt like it. This is totally OK, however if he rippped the textures, sky, models etc and placed, it would be a copyright violation.

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07-12-2011, 20:12:42 »

@Lainer: PR lost about half their players to BF3 though, server lists looks like FH2 now, a couple full ones only, then some with scattered loners

Server lists look like FH2 ?  Im sorry but you are 100% wrong.
« Last Edit: 07-12-2011, 20:12:00 by RAnDOOm »

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07-12-2011, 20:12:16 »

@Lainer: PR lost about half their players to BF3 though, server lists looks like FH2 now, a couple full ones only, then some with scattered loners

Server lists look like FH2 ?  Im sorry but you are 100% wrong.

since when has that stoped him from talking? :P

about the map itself, is not the best map in existance but the gameplay is surely something i never experience in any mod so far, very similar to PRs yet different enought to make it something new :P, i guess its because storming in masses is never a good tactic in PR, while in this map its almost the only way to capture the beach.

what I found more atractive (and challenging) its the no zoom in rifles, it really makes you feel like you have a self defence weapon, like you could only use your rifle when you are absolutly sure you are not gonna miss and take a shot from the rapid fire garants =9, the lack of smgs numbers it a bit odd but i think is gonna be changed so its ok .
« Last Edit: 07-12-2011, 20:12:40 by SiCaRiO »

Offline AfterDune

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07-12-2011, 21:12:47 »
Thought this thread was about PN, not about taking .tweak-files, models, maps or whatever :(.

Natty, right now there are 480 people playing PR where FH2 has 125. That playercount for PR is nothing different than a couple of months ago and it's not even weekend. We took a hit, but it's back again. Perhaps not PR's glorydays, but what can you expect so many years after releasing BF2.

Yes, Sicario, there will be more SMGs later. They're somewhat scarce now.

And gameplay is indeed very different from what I've seen anywhere else. Didn't think it would be this good actually. I mean, I knew it would be different, but not like this, it's very nice. There's a lot of teamwork and intersquad communication - Mumble is the worlds best invention for that (especially since the new Mumble, where you only need to start it, switching teams and squads happens automatically).

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07-12-2011, 21:12:05 »
lol you read everything literary?  ::) I didnt say "PR has exactly as many players as FH2" did I?
I said the server lists looks like FH2, with that I meant: A couple full servers, then a bunch of half-filled or scattered players ones.

* sigh* :-\

Offline AfterDune

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07-12-2011, 21:12:15 »
You have such a wonderful attitude, Natty. The only thing you read from my post are those numbers? Wow..

Offline Arc_Shielder

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07-12-2011, 22:12:31 »
 And then people wonder why there is a silly dispute between both communities out there.   ::)

That dispersion of players is not even accurate number wise, but nevertheless it's a symptom that the PR community is used to. Eventually they return once the hype has faded.

-------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------------

Speaking of more interesting things, the Wehrmacht made a captive today  ;D (screenshots taken in my cousin's CRAPPY PC - medium settings).

« Last Edit: 07-12-2011, 22:12:13 by Arc_Shielder »

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 07-12-2011, 23:12:17 »
lol he called you a commie  ;D
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08-12-2011, 07:12:45 »
You have such a wonderful attitude, Natty. The only thing you read from my post are those numbers? Wow..

I think it was just adorable that you went and copied the numbers from some server monitor site  ;D

Anyway, this kind of lulz and debates would happen tenfolded if I went to the PR site and announced my "Forgotten Reality" minimod where I come with FH2 and applied some PR map scenario on it, to "bring the essence of FH game play to the PR crowd"... just know the flamewars and trolling that would follow...
So dont bother much about it, really, it comes with the territory. Mod players are usually end-game fans, they have nothing more to learn about the game, they're know-it-alls, and if someone comes trying to bring them something new, it will always be a 'been there done that' attitude.
None of us mods created these communities, DICE did, what we have is the BF oldtimers, the endgamers, the vets, refusing to move to newer games, and that's why fights and disputes happen so easily and often.

Actually, that's a reality you need to face as a mod. You take over an already seasoned playerbase from another game. Looking objectively, pr and fh2 are not two different communities at all, it is exactly the same type of guys in both, (many play both mods as well) both are mod players, both Battlefield players. That's how I look at it, and that's how it is. For EA we're all just endgamers, nothing special at all.. All games have those, it just happens naturally for all games, especially games that allow user-created content such as BF2 does.

On the Omaha map thing, good luck with it. Id try it but I dont have PR installed...

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08-12-2011, 10:12:12 »
We hope to have more maps coming soon enough, maybe for the next release.  ;)
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08-12-2011, 13:12:28 »
I need some infos. The main tank we have for the US is the Pershing, wich is quite OP against PZIVs and IIIs. So I need to know, if a Panzer IV F2 would be able to penetrate a Pershing, and if yes, where? ( rear, sides, etc)

Also would a Pzshreck be able to penetrate it?

Offline AfterDune

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08-12-2011, 13:12:51 »
I wish we had a Sherman..
(yeah, yeah, we would if we used FH2  ;))

On a more serious note, does FH2 have an old rusty Sherman lying around? Could halve the texture size, strip it of sounds, weapons, huds, icons, etc.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 08-12-2011, 16:12:04 »
IIRC, pz4 f2 had a 75 mm gun, so in theory it could penetrate a parching hull from most sides except front. turret armor was way stronger, while the 90 mm gun on the pershing would anihilate a pz4 from most angles, and any distance :P

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 08-12-2011, 17:12:37 »
Thanks Sicario, now I need someone crazy like VonMudra or THeTA to confirm this  ;D

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 08-12-2011, 21:12:22 »
when you have a bunch of maps with proven game play, place fh2 objects instead of PR stuff, prettyfi them up and submit to us  ;D