Author Topic: Project Normandy [Mini-mod for PR] (Big post)  (Read 9111 times)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Project Normandy [Mini-mod for PR] (Big post)
« Reply #15 on: 05-12-2011, 08:12:24 »
Yes indeed Kradovech, it's all based on PR, since you need PR to play Project Normandy, you guys didn't read the first post?

The only "codes" you cant use is Python, because they are encrypted. All .tweak codes are yours to take, they belong to EA, not PR... A mod's content that is created with the engine does not belong to the mod, it belongs to EA, and EA allow modders to use it.

Only thing that mods "own" is models, sounds, textures. The rest is "free" to use. So go ahead and take .tweak codes and how objects work, from FH2 or PR or anyother mod you want.

Start ripping Models, Sounds or Textures, and there will be problems.
« Last Edit: 05-12-2011, 08:12:21 by Natty »

Offline Arc_Shielder

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05-12-2011, 08:12:09 »
Yes indeed Kradovech, it's all based on PR, since you need PR to play Project Normandy, you guys didn't read the first post?

The only "codes" you cant use is Python, because they are encrypted. All .tweak codes are yours to take, they belong to EA, not PR... A mod's content that is created with the engine does not belong to the mod, it belongs to EA, and EA allow modders to use it.

Only thing that mods "own" is models, sounds, textures. The rest is "free" to use. So go ahead and take .tweak codes and how objects work, from FH2 or PR or anyother mod you want.

I don't think it's that simple.

What's stopping you from using PR .tweak files or any other mods for that matter?

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #17 on: 05-12-2011, 09:12:09 »

What's stopping you from using PR .tweak files or any other mods for that matter?
It pretty much is that simple.  But why would FH2 need to borrow PR .tweaks when we already have our own (with all their contained conventions and a coder who understands them)?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05-12-2011, 09:12:58 »

Nothing? But why would they want to use them? If they need a certain function they can just do it themselves.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05-12-2011, 09:12:59 »
I'm still saying that the most sensible way to do this would have been to make a minimod "PR for FH2". That there are some hard-liners in the PR community who would not have downloaded it because would not show up in PR server browser is their problem. Full-scale WW2 battles (should) play out differently enough from 21st century asymmetric warfare that I wouldn't see this as something that's rotated inbetween modern levels anyway (yes, I know that the plan is to integrate PR:V into the main build, but then again, I would suspect that there would be dedicated Vietnam servers too). "Too much download for just one map" -- who says it would have had to be just one map in this case? Say, existing FH2 maps but with eg.  flag and SL spawn disabled and replaced with rally points?

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05-12-2011, 10:12:44 »
Alright Natty this is interesting, but it's nice to have players too. FH2 is struggling sometimes to have players and I think that this would kill the servers like hslan and 762 for a time.
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline AfterDune

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05-12-2011, 12:12:06 »
PR has a lot of players and since many PR people wanted to see PR in a WW2 setting, it's easier for them to download only 300 megs rather than FH2 with a PR-addon. The servers show up in the server browser and announcements are made on the forums as well as the menu's news ticker.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07-12-2011, 16:12:35 »
Makes sense to me. Any chance this comes with AI some day?

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07-12-2011, 16:12:23 »

Yea it is... and as stated; nothing stops anyone... .tweak is not mod property. if PR had a plane that handled exactly like we wanted our plane to handle, we would just copy the .tweak and vice versa... .tweak files are designed by DICE, mods just tweak them to their needs. What a mod does is tweaking their stuff to a behaviour they want. Nothing more.

As I said; only physical content created outside the game engine (models, textures, sounds) is mod property. The rest is Battlefield 2 and "free for all"

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07-12-2011, 17:12:38 »
So let's say, a mod has perfectly modeled a Spitfire Mk.IX flight characteristics and Bf-109G-10's and also MiG-3UD's. Does it belong to the mod or EA, since it pertains to a specific model only?

Because in MS Flight Sim add-ons, those non-model-specific, template-like configuration files (that you guys here named .tweak) are also free to modify. However, the FD (Flight Dynamics) files (model-specific or probably .con in BF2) configuration is not redistributable.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #25 on: 07-12-2011, 18:12:04 »
Alright Natty this is interesting, but it's nice to have players too. FH2 is struggling sometimes to have players and I think that this would kill the servers like hslan and 762 for a time.

I don't think having a couple hundred PR guys download FH2 is really going to hurt the mod any.  Those servers can either come along for the ride or be left behind.  And if it ends up that only a handful of people are playing vanilla FH2 while 3 or 4 servers are filled with the FH2/PR minimod players then maybe the FH2 devs will step back and take note.

PR has a lot of players...... The servers show up in the server browser.....

That is really what it comes down to.....And that is a crying shame.  If AfterDune used black magic and next week released two PR Normandy mods, one that was 4 gigs of utter ugly ass shit that ran off the PR.exe, and one that used FH2 and was a work of art but ran off from the FH2.exe I bet the PR one would be more popular.

http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07-12-2011, 18:12:45 »
So let's say, a mod has perfectly modeled a Spitfire Mk.IX flight characteristics and Bf-109G-10's and also MiG-3UD's. Does it belong to the mod or EA, since it pertains to a specific model only?

The model belongs to whoever made it.

The .tweak and .con files that makes the model fly in BF2 doesnt belong to anyone.

It is simple, dont try to make it complicated, because it isn't  :-\

@Lainer: PR lost about half their players to BF3 though, server lists looks like FH2 now, a couple full ones only, then some with scattered loners
« Last Edit: 07-12-2011, 18:12:04 by Natty »

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07-12-2011, 18:12:55 »
No, I am just asking.

Because finding the correct value for each parameters in .con and .tweak file surely takes some effort. But thanks for the clarification anyway.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #28 on: 07-12-2011, 18:12:46 »
   I have jacked snippets of PR and BFP4F tweaks before without even a twinge of guilt.  But when I jacked the PR destructible buildings I got permission from the devs first.  Jacking my tweaks to tweak is flattering....Jacking my maps however is a dick move (and if they are my maps in particular it shows a lack of good taste on your part  ;D )
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07-12-2011, 19:12:08 »
@Lainer: PR lost about half their players to BF3 though, server lists looks like FH2 now, a couple full ones only, then some with scattered loners

Hmm, PRSPY is showing 6 servers with >=55 players, one of them is Normandy. Compare this with FH2's servers: ~90 players in total...