Author Topic: Skiis!  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
Skiis!
« on: 21-04-2009, 04:04:00 »
They could be treated as a vehicle. Going down hill they would pick up speed quickly and carry speed whle turning, on flat ground they would move at sprint speed, and going uphill they could move at crawl speed. You could fire your gun while using them. The only difficulty I see would be making them work only on snow.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

azreal

Re: Skiis!
« Reply #1 on: 21-04-2009, 04:04:39 »
How can skis work on (relatively) flat grass?

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-04-2009, 05:04:39 »
They could be treated as a vehicle. Going down hill they would pick up speed quickly and carry speed whle turning, on flat ground they would move at sprint speed, and going uphill they could move at crawl speed. You could fire your gun while using them. The only difficulty I see would be making them work only on snow.

Not on grass. And you can ski on flat ground. Have you ever seen how someone moves their feet while skating? If you do that with skiis, you can reach a pretty high speed.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline flyboy_fx

• rockets,rc stuff,and collecting/making ww2 models
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-04-2009, 05:04:16 »
it would only come in if we did Ukraine or something like that
and no Battle of the bulge with ski troops :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgk20mihjX4
still kinda cool modern :P :P
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC2F25aOgDs
Don't hate the forum, hate it's users...

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-04-2009, 05:04:35 »
1:

Ski troops basically only served in the german, russian, and finnish armies in any number.  Of those, only the Finns would really make an appearance, as German and russian ski troops barely fought in combat.

2:

Since its Finnish, the ground in winter could be completly covered in snow.  No grass to worry about being able to ski on or not.

3:  Yes, it would be possible to have gathered inertia, much like the bicycle.

4: No, you can't fire while using skis.  The armies did not train to fire while using skis.  Even finnish ski troops used their skis only to get to combat, then dropped them, fought on foot, then rode off on the skis.  Its too unwieldy, you can't get firm footing to fire a rifle while on skis, considering their point is to NOT have firm footing.

Offline Cin3k33

• Lobo`s younger sister
    • View Profile
    • eXavs
« Reply #5 on: 21-04-2009, 10:04:33 »
It is possibe, I saw sled in AirMaps mod, that was quite funny, becaouse in moutains when you was riding off the hill with huge speed, sled took damage and in middle of the hill they blew up ::)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21-04-2009, 10:04:16 »

4: No, you can't fire while using skis.  The armies did not train to fire while using skis.  Even finnish ski troops used their skis only to get to combat, then dropped them, fought on foot, then rode off on the skis.  Its too unwieldy, you can't get firm footing to fire a rifle while on skis, considering their point is to NOT have firm footing.

The most common hit & run method was to dismount one foot from a ski so you could take a firing stance from crouch, shoot and then firmly and fast click your boot back into the ski and flee the scene. Of course, most troops to do these "one-ski-on-foot" strikes were equipped with Suomi's, because with a rifle, you are easier target for the enemy. Riflemen tho took both ski's off to fight with more maneuverability. But it wasnt an uncommon sight for a Suomi equipped soldier to just slip out one ski, take a crouch stance and give that ruskie a nice lil burst of finnish loving.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21-04-2009, 14:04:47 »
But... skis work on grass. But I'm not sure how well they did back then. Grass skiing is actually a sport, IIRC.

Offline GooGeL

• FH-Betatester
  • Shedmaster
    • View Profile
    • WOLFgaming.net
« Reply #8 on: 21-04-2009, 15:04:15 »
But... skis work on grass. But I'm not sure how well they did back then. Grass skiing is actually a sport, IIRC.
Well, during the summer they are ski jumping on grass. Or fake grass... or something that looks like grass!  :(

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #9 on: 21-04-2009, 15:04:03 »
how about putting two wheels on a ski ...and a motor... and a seat, and maybe some gears... we could call it "motorskibes" - which if you look closley is an anagram of "motorbikes" ftw+1!!
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21-04-2009, 15:04:23 »
Well, during the summer they are ski jumping on grass. Or fake grass... or something that looks like grass!  :(

Yeah it is real grass most of the time, I think sometimes they use fake grass as well.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21-04-2009, 19:04:08 »

The most common hit & run method was to dismount one foot from a ski so you could take a firing stance from crouch, shoot and then firmly and fast click your boot back into the ski and flee the scene. Of course, most troops to do these "one-ski-on-foot" strikes were equipped with Suomi's, because with a rifle, you are easier target for the enemy. Riflemen tho took both ski's off to fight with more maneuverability. But it wasnt an uncommon sight for a Suomi equipped soldier to just slip out one ski, take a crouch stance and give that ruskie a nice lil burst of finnish loving.

Yes:P  They weren't riding on the skis while firing like some kind of james bond scene xD

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #12 on: 21-04-2009, 19:04:30 »
Well, you can fire while on skis. Theres plenty of ways to get stabilized. Just pointing that out, you can fire on it but it isn't practical.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21-04-2009, 19:04:37 »
Of course you CAN. But try doing it with a Suomi smg which is actually heavier than what you might think. Not only that, you are in a tense forest and you do this during night time, so visibility is extremely bad. You can still do it, absolutely, but does it make any results than "proper" method? No.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #14 on: 21-04-2009, 19:04:43 »
Thats my point. In Mudra's post he says "you can not fire on skis" well I've been on skis plenty of times to know you can get in a well stable position to fire a gun.
Thats just my point, not talking about Finnish soldiers with Suomi's in dense forrests.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."