Author Topic: about dead bodies and violence  (Read 5508 times)

Offline Berkolok

• Desert maps sucks
    • View Profile
about dead bodies and violence
« on: 26-06-2012, 09:06:22 »
i dont know its suggested before i searched but cant find
can dead bodies stay in battlefield? maybe weapons too
now think a battlefield full of corpses and more blood with body parts
and i think when someone step on a ap mine he must  look like this

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: about dead bodies and violence
« Reply #1 on: 26-06-2012, 11:06:09 »
sure we can, but we don't want the corpses to stay because they just cause lag and is annoying for other players since collision is still present (get stuck on them in stairs, etc)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-06-2012, 11:06:10 »
Not worth the lag as Natty said... maybe some static corpses? Covered with blankets or something... Would bring some realism... (Maybe for Eastern front?)
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Biiviz

« Reply #3 on: 26-06-2012, 13:06:39 »
If you really want to make the atmosphere dark and grim on a map, then sure, add corpses. But I'd rather it'd be done with some dignity, i.e. as LuckyOne said it; cover them with blankets. Or just make "field graves" with the rifle and helmet or something.

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26-06-2012, 13:06:22 »
If you really want to make the atmosphere dark and grim on a map, then sure, add corpses. But I'd rather it'd be done with some dignity, i.e. as LuckyOne said it; cover them with blankets. Or just make "field graves" with the rifle and helmet or something.

We have dead cows right? Why not dead humans?

Not to go on some veganistic "we're all animals" crusade or anything, but I don't see the dignity in covering up the horrors of war in a game which thrives on realism. Of course make sure it's contextual. For instance, on a siege map like Tobruk you can indeed have a interim graveyard, or some covered up bodies at the hospitaltent. But on a big ongoing battle like Sidi Rezegh, where you sort of get dropped in the thick of it, a few scattered corpses wouldn't be out of place (or undignified).
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-06-2012, 14:06:39 »
I think there should be dead bodies and surgery tables in medical tents.

Offline GIJordncc1701d

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26-06-2012, 16:06:29 »
In my opinion I think it's fine the way it is. Sorry, but I don't really see the need for lots of dead bodies. I mean, maybe in the medical tents or something, but not just laying everywhere.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-06-2012, 18:06:58 »
I always kind of liked Red Orchestra in this matter.

It just adds so much immersion when your friend ends up like this 2 meters infront of you. I swear I didn't peek out my head for while.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27-06-2012, 00:06:31 »
I have to admit, that gore in general is a missing element in FH2. In Red Orchestra or Darkest Hour I am always like WTF? and shit my pants, when someone ends up like the guy in Ajappats screen shot. And I feel quiet lucky to have survived such a situation and will approach more carfully. It is this element that maks RO a more mature and cruel war game and where FH2 feels more like comicshooter.

What about just adding more gore when somebody gets killed. It's a point, where FH2 can clearly gain some more immersion. And those dead bodies don't have to stay for ages ofcourse. Just let them disappear after a certain amount of time like the kits you can pickup from killed soldiers.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27-06-2012, 00:06:51 »
It's probably not just a visual issue. It might sound violent, but some screams of pain by bleeding soldiers or sometimes when someone gets shot would add more war character to the atmosphere. Atm I often don't really realize when a teammate goes down and if someone does it does not touch me at all which is sad. The sounds are equally if not even more important than visual adjustments imo and probably easier to implement.

Offline Sir_Pee_Alot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27-06-2012, 05:06:59 »
some more gore is what this mod can use maybe some better blood effects

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27-06-2012, 07:06:08 »
Now guys, find a way how to implement this in the BF2 engine (except the sounds) and you can all start dreaming again.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27-06-2012, 10:06:20 »
Impact effect
Impact sound
Getting hurt Voice
Getting hit animation
Hit indicator
Death animation (ragdoll)
Death Voice
Kill message (weapon)
Kill message (lower left corner, white text)

These are the tools we have to communicate that you killed or wounded an enemy. I think they suffice just fine, although indeed some of them are a bit subtle and could be enhanced.

Adding limbs flying or huge piles of blood wouldnt add anything IMO

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27-06-2012, 11:06:24 »
Impact effect
Impact sound
Getting hurt Voice
Getting hit animation
Hit indicator
Death animation (ragdoll)
Death Voice
Kill message (weapon)
Kill message (lower left corner, white text)

These are the tools we have to communicate that you killed or wounded an enemy. I think they suffice just fine, although indeed some of them are a bit subtle and could be enhanced.

Adding limbs flying or huge piles of blood wouldnt add anything IMO

It's not really about communicating the kill to the player, more about adding actual immersion in the game... However I'm okay with the current state, I just wish the ragdolls didn't look so silly sometimes (we kinda have limbs flying already... but the problem is they don't detach from the body but pull the whole body with them instead  :-\)
« Last Edit: 27-06-2012, 11:06:16 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27-06-2012, 11:06:31 »
the first 10 maybe 15 times you might get a tad more "immersed" perhaps if you see more blood and gore, after that you just sort that stuff away from your vision since it doesn't really matter. You won't even see it since the game isn't about watching some particle FX or texture fly around.

You have too much faith in add-on graphics and FX being the messiah of immersion. True immersion comes from tight and well crafted game play, tight and balanced action and when players feel that there is thought and structure behind the design of the game. When the weapons function as you expect them to and when the maps have a structure that creates interesting tactical choices where you can outmaneuver the enemy and get the upper hand by playing smart. When there is true interaction between you, and the enemy.