Author Topic: Defense of Malta Idea  (Read 694 times)

Offline GIJordncc1701d

• View Profile
Defense of Malta Idea
« on: 14-06-2018, 05:06:37 »
So, I was sitting at the kitchen table drinking one of those San Pellegrino fruit sodas, and I had a neat idea because of some reading I did... for the idea, skip to the second paragraph, or hear my funny train of thought in the first.

So the San Pellegrino was orange and Italian prickly pear flavored, and that got me thinking. I had read that cacti was only native to the Americas, so I wondered where the Italian prickly pear part came from. So I read on wikipedia that prickly pear were spread all over by trade after Europeans colonized the Americas. Many places eat the fruit, including where I live (Texas). Some places use it for other things, for example the Maltese use it to make a sweet liqueur (I have got to find a bottle of it!). Apparently it grows all over Malta (as well as many other places, as it's an invasive species). And, I had just been playing FH2's Alam Halfa, so I had a neat idea....

Use the defense of Malta as an air-only map. Now, obviously all the development effort is focused elsewhere, but this is more of a hypothetical map design. I've got no modding experience, but if I did, I'd use it to make this. Anyhow, this is my idea. Have the British have some aircraft (early war stuff, some of which we already have, but we'd need a Gloster Gladiator) and air defenses. Then, have the Italians/Germans have a base somewhere (like a little sliver of Sicily). Now, for the fun part; instead of just having an air battle, have a special hanger made that spawns aircraft, and have that hanger destroyable. So, if the Italians/Germans take out that hanger, the spawning of new aircraft stops or is diminished until it's repaired. Something I'd do, as I play offline a lot, is make it to where the hanger can be manned by a person (have them controlling a Bofors or something) so the AI will recognize it and try to destroy it. So then it's a balance of trying to keep off an onslaught of enemy planes with a few, obsolete plains and a bunch of air defenses and trying to keep the hangers up and running to supply new planes. I think it'd be an improvement of just a regular air battle, plus it would add a neat new location and a rather forgotten battle.

......and to think, we already have a prickly pear model to stick all over the island!

Anyway, I know it won't get made anytime soon or at all, but what do yall think? I've always loved air battles, but hated how bland the rest of the map is and how little depth there is to the battle. Are there any other locations that interest yall? Something else I'd love to see is the battle of Taranto and the sinking of the Italian fleet.

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Defense of Malta Idea
« Reply #1 on: 14-06-2018, 11:06:55 »
Did you ever play supplies for malta map?

http://bfewaw.com/stubbfan/supplies_for_maltacoop.rar

It's a pretty bare map, and i'd love to spice it up with some better statics etc at some point.
« Last Edit: 14-06-2018, 12:06:58 by Stubbfan »

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14-06-2018, 12:06:12 »
Why isn´t it in the map rotation of the servers? It could surely need some work but I think it would be great to have something different, looks like a fun map to me.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14-06-2018, 13:06:57 »
It’s a custom map, it used to be in the server rotation at one point in the past. Currently all public servers run stock maps only.

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14-06-2018, 13:06:29 »
It was mainly used as a event map for the event weekends that waw used to run. It used a server side python coding that i don't know where to find anymore, perhaps we can dig it up somewhere.

However i am toying with the idea to reviving the map, but i want to make valletta etc much nicer in that case. I enjoy the idea of the map, and i had a blast in the submarine during the events.