Author Topic: Berlin  (Read 21536 times)

Offline blander

• View Profile
Re: Berlin
« Reply #345 on: 14-06-2019, 09:06:09 »
16 layer done

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: 14-06-2019, 10:06:43 »
I like it, very ominous looking. Any plans for the 32?

Personally, I'd love to see little of SU-76M on Hetzer action. 18. Pz.Gren.Div still had 19 Hetzers available (+ another four "on its way"), plus another eight with 9. Fallschirmjäger Div. (report dated 23 April 1945). Couple wrecks have been photographed around Reichstag, like "Thule" from 18. Pz.Gren.Div.:

and/or maybe even some lend-lease M4? Many were lost in Berlin, as seen here with panzer wrecks collected from Reichstag and Berlin centre area:

« Last Edit: 14-06-2019, 10:06:32 by nysä »

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: 14-06-2019, 15:06:34 »
The 32 layer was tricky to do because I wanted a full conquest 3 grey flag layout at the start of the round. I tested different tank combinations to make it even and I've found the following combo to work best so far: T-34/76 + ISU-152 vs PzIVH + PantherG.

Trying to "mirror balance" the tanks having only 2 per side is really very difficult, specially considering there is little room in the layer to avoid mainbase camping. I basically want tanks to be able to kill eachother from the front so they don't get locked in the main so easily. The ISU-152 can kill both german tanks in 1 shot. The Panther needs 4 shots to kill the ISU but it is way more versatile so that should compensate the lack of a huge gun.

I would have liked to include a Hetzer and an ISU-122 but I couldn't find proper matchups. I tested lots of combinations including SU-76M, Jagdpanzer IV L/70 and Ferdinand (I've read there was an Elefant fighting in Berlin).

The main problem about the 32 layer is that it's a bit small and flags don't have spawnpoints because everything is too close together. The only place where you can spawn is at the mainbase or on the squadleader of course. I think it would be best balanced without tanks because I fear heavy mainbase camping but on the other hand a Berlin map without tanks sounds a bit too dull.

I'm open for suggestions. I plan on having a clear skybox for the 32 layer.
« Last Edit: 14-06-2019, 15:06:59 by blander »

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: 14-06-2019, 16:06:31 »
I tested lots of combinations including SU-76M, Jagdpanzer IV L/70 and Ferdinand (I've read there was an Elefant fighting in Berlin).

Regarding the Elefanten in Berlin - the surviving four were used in Zossen as a part of Kampfgruppe "Ritter" and they were in very rough shape, 3/4 being survivors from Italy and "in need of major repairs" (reportedly none survived from the Eastern Front after 1944). At least two were left behind due to mechanical problems as the Red Army was approaching Zossen, and another two Elefanten were abandoned/destroyed in the East of Zossen.
refer: Karlheinz Münch - "Combat History of schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung 653"

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: 14-06-2019, 16:06:27 »
Just a reminder that you can't put too many vehicles (of different type) on your map (doesn't matter which layer) because it will increase already heavy texture load and will make your map unstable.

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: 14-06-2019, 20:06:48 »
Just a reminder that you can't put too many vehicles (of different type) on your map (doesn't matter which layer) because it will increase already heavy texture load and will make your map unstable.

What do you mean with it doesn't mean which layer? You mean firing range for example loads all vehicles and weapons in the mod always?

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: 14-06-2019, 20:06:59 »
What I mean by that is that few times when I suggested adding something per one layer only I was quickly told that it apparently loads and increase the texture load anyway, indeed. Although it doesn't make sense to me either, but I'm just repeating after smarter heads here (I am not a mapper after all)  ;)