Author Topic: Player base development - How do we keep this mod alive?  (Read 11119 times)

Offline HPSFroadrunner

• View Profile
Re: Player base development - How do we keep this mod alive?
« Reply #60 on: 26-06-2014, 16:06:41 »
It is made on purpose to limit those weapons, I found pickup kits on Wacht Am Rhein maps to be an overkill. There were lots of weapons just lying on the ground around the flags, I didn't like that at all.

There's extra weapons sitting on the ground.  What's the problem?  They are there if you need them.  I like being able to change my role while playing, to suit the circumstances.  A really good FH map plays different each time you play it.  Pick-up kits allow you change to match the needs of the team.

Those weapons are limited due to historical and game balance reasons and most of the limited kits are available in some numbers for fireteams, so if you can't choose any, it means that somebody in your squad already has it. And don't compare it to FH1 because for example, you couldn't spawn on your SL in FH1. Do I have to explain how it could end if you and your squad mates could spawn with unlimited MG42s on a sneaky SL in the enemy's flag zone? Also, what you suggest is unfortunately impossible or need huge ammount of work as whole system would have to be reworked with use of lots of the engine limitation way around to achieve that what in the end may result in some bugs and huge mess in the game files.

If I and my squadmates all spawn in the enemy flag-zone with MG-42s, I presume we'd all be taken out with a grenade.  Why is the MG-42 always mentioned as the gun everyone will flood the map with if there were no limits?  I rarely find the MG-42 unavailable.  Same with the MP40.  I like historical accuracy in the game, at least to keep the proper weapons in the proper time period.  Trying to keep numbers limited according to production/distribution seems a little unrealistic.  If it keeps people from playing, then maybe the benefits have to be weighed against the drawbacks.

One thing I believe needs addressing though is 762's map rotation.  Maybe I just have s**t luck and timing, and my gameplay would definitely attest to that, but why do we always get about 3-5 desert maps to 1 non-desert? I really hate the African campaign maps, but I have finally found something to do on most of them.  I can usually sit through one map I don't like when there's a good one coming next, but it seems like every time I join 762 about 50-75% of the map rotation is desert maps.  Then, when an epic map like St. Vith comes out, it's almost never played, and rarely when there's a full server to really enjoy it.  I would at least like to see a map rotation that alternates between the different theaters to keep the variety.
Map rotation on 762 server is random, so I bet it is your s**t luck only, as timing doesn't matter.

I shouldn't have listed this here.  The thread is "How to keep the mod alive", not a map rotation bitch-session.  I also didn't mean to say that 762 is a reason there are not more people playing.  I am sorry if my comments were taken that way.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 26-06-2014, 17:06:20 »
If the MP40 and MG42 are usually available, then what is the problem?

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 26-06-2014, 17:06:25 »
@HPSFroadrunner

The problem with weapons availability and their restriction is that in FH2 every bullet is lethal and weapons that have high ROF and accuracy combined with big magazine makes it a perfect ground for abusive behavior. Every player will pick a better gun if and whenever they can. Now, the good rule of thumb is for a high advantage equipment would be a corresponding disadvantage so we would have an element of choice for a player (high armoured tank but a slow one). But we're dealing with higher historical accuracy to balance ratio than most games so map designers has to come up with some (arbitrary at first glance) limiters. 

Offline HPSFroadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 27-06-2014, 04:06:28 »
  It's a problem when those aren't the guns you want.

When I saw this thread, the way it was worded made me think it was started by one or more of the game developers.  I should've checked the OP and I wouldn't have bothered posting.

Offline Miklas

• Ingame: Calle_XVI
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 27-06-2014, 09:06:35 »
Back to the original topic: I don´t see the problem. The player base is quite strong and has been stable for several years now (compared to 2009 there are even more players from what I can tell). Heck, even FH1 is still being played.
You can´t expect a niche mod like FH2 to have a huge following. I don´t see a downward trend and therefore I´m not worried. FH2 have very loyal followers as there is really no competition out there (no other games offer what FH2 offers).

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 27-06-2014, 09:06:34 »
  It's a problem when those aren't the guns you want.

When I saw this thread, the way it was worded made me think it was started by one or more of the game developers.  I should've checked the OP and I wouldn't have bothered posting.

Which guns do you want then?

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 27-06-2014, 15:06:18 »
Back to the original topic: I don´t see the problem. The player base is quite strong and has been stable for several years now (compared to 2009 there are even more players from what I can tell). Heck, even FH1 is still being played.
You can´t expect a niche mod like FH2 to have a huge following. I don´t see a downward trend and therefore I´m not worried. FH2 have very loyal followers as there is really no competition out there (no other games offer what FH2 offers).

I don't see a downward trend aswell. Just played a match of Villers Bocage with a bunch of people in my squad I never heard of before. There drop in new people from time to time and I've seen alot of old familiar faces on the server recently.

But, the the question is still relevant. How can we keep this mod alive, when games like TW or FE hit the market. The amount of content in FH2 is huge, but when the gameplay on those new engines will get just a tiny bit better, then I see a big part of the playerbase shifting.

Offline FORGOTTENKEVINOHOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 27-06-2014, 20:06:27 »

he's a sniper whore thats what   :)

hahahaaha   sorry hpsf!

Offline The Nanny

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 28-06-2014, 15:06:41 »
Just saw how quickly team stacking can clear out a server...Sargoresci and Capt.Mike are some of the worst offenders for this, again.  The team stacking started with top players migrating to the British on Sfaika, with Sandre on Brits staying silent.  It wasn't subtle at all.  Then people started leaving in droves.

Sorry, IMHO the maps are fine...the kits are fine...the mechanics are fine...if you want to keep the mod alive, look at your veteran stat whores.  Server-killers.
« Last Edit: 28-06-2014, 16:06:14 by The Nanny »

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 28-06-2014, 16:06:53 »
Just saw how quickly team stacking can clear out a server...Sargoresci and Capt.Mike are some of the worst offenders for this, again.  The team stacking started with top players migrating to the British on Sfaika, with Sandre on Brits staying silent.  It wasn't subtle at all.  Then people started leaving in droves.

Sorry, IMHO the maps are fine...the kits are fine...the mechanics are fine...if you want to keep the mod alive, look at your veteran stat whores.  Server-killers.

This is the main reason i rarely play public anymore.

Almost everytime i play public all the veteran players and admins are playing in the same side.

I always go to the other side.

A try to put up a good fight but the end results always is: a bad gaming experience.

I cant even imagine the new players that join the mod for the first time to try it out.

I bet all my chips that they leave after a few rounds and never return.
« Last Edit: 28-06-2014, 17:06:12 by RAnDOOm »

Offline HPSFroadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 28-06-2014, 17:06:16 »

he's a sniper whore thats what   :)

hahahaaha   sorry hpsf!

GUILTY, as charged.  My complaint about kit limits doesn't have to do with the sniper kit for the most part, except I would like to see them available closer to the front in some cases.  I would also agree that one kit that NEEDS limiting is the sniper class.  Original BF1942 had way too many snipers (and never any spotters).  I like the WaW system of kit limits, or what I have seen of it anyway.  It's also frustrating to find pick-up kits sometimes.  I have been playing for about 2 years now, and still not really sure where a lot of the kits can be found.  Same goes for ammo.  I would really like to see ammo more available, and easier to find.

As for what kit I am looking for, it depends on the map, and the situation.  It's not always about which main gun I am looking for either, but the kit, and some of the other items.  That's one reason I am such a proponent of easy to find pick-up kits, and why I wish we could customize the kits more.  Some maps have really questionable load-outs, like spawn-able A/T kits on primarily infantry maps.  In a case like that, I would much rather see a larger variety on infantry type kits available at spawn.

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 28-06-2014, 18:06:06 »

I don't see a downward trend aswell. Just played a match of Villers Bocage with a bunch of people in my squad I never heard of before. There drop in new people from time to time and I've seen alot of old familiar faces on the server recently.

But, the the question is still relevant. How can we keep this mod alive, when games like TW or FE hit the market. The amount of content in FH2 is huge, but when the gameplay on those new engines will get just a tiny bit better, then I see a big part of the playerbase shifting.

I agree that FH2 has survived so long mostly on virtue of there being no real alternatives with comparable gameplay. TW and FE might pose a threat to FH2's player numbers, but that's only if they're a better game than FH2 in which case there's no harm in moving (The work of the FH2 devs has hardly gone to waste, very few mods survive half as long as FH2 has). Regardless, I'm not too concerned about those games drawing lots of players from FH2 since there has been plenty of other realism based WW2 games/mods (Red Orchestra, Resistance and Liberation, ect.) that haven't captured the same feel as FH2.

Offline Gotkai

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 28-06-2014, 18:06:23 »
I can understand why Sargcoresi and Capt.Mike want to play in the same team.
I would also prefer to play with them instead of guys asking how to aim with a tank or how to reammo. Some of them don't even know the mapname. Not to mention the winning conditions. This is really frustrating for me.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 28-06-2014, 19:06:47 »

There are lots of players in this game who I consider better than me, some of them mentioned above. Do you think that I always start complaining when I see them bunched up in the enemy team? Hell no. I will try to beat them.

I am sorry to say this, but to call three better guys in one team teamstacking is just a bit lazy. Team up and try to be more clever. You can beat Sargcoresi, Mike or Sandre, but it requires a bit of an effort ofcourse as they won't make it easy for you.

We all started as newbies and it was not any different when I started playing FH2 5 years ago. Today the difference is that new players want to have everything served on a silver plate. Most vets I know try to help new players where they can, but it has limits. There never has been a rule on any server in FH2 that prevented people from joining a team with their friends except auto team balance.

So this is just for your information. Don't forget that you are playing a FPS after all. There will always be people who are better or worse than you.

Offline Adee

• ingame: pl AdeQ-187
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 28-06-2014, 19:06:23 »
I can understand why Sargcoresi and Capt.Mike want to play in the same team.
I would also prefer to play with them instead of guys asking how to aim with a tank or how to reammo. Some of them don't even know the mapname. Not to mention the winning conditions. This is really frustrating for me.

And where is the challenge? Playing among the weaker players is just as unpleasant as against them.