Author Topic: Inclusion of now tested and working bot blocking smoke in SP/Coop  (Read 4781 times)

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Hi,

Forum member MaxP has posted that he has fixed the issues that a previously released bot/AI vision blocking smoke grenade implementation had. I have seen the files but I'm not in the right situation at the moment to do any testing. It would be great to get this into SP/Coop. I always think smoke adds a bit of atmosphere to FH maps so it would be nice to see smoke grenades and other weapons with smoke being used. Does FH have smoke artillery rounds ? Commander smoke ? I can't remember now.

Also for anyone who does not play any games with the AI in, this smoke screen idea has a long history. An implementation was released many years ago by "SatNav" on the BFSP site. N@W took up some kind of version of it into their mod. Don't know if it's still in there. But there were many issues with it. FH forum member Djinn (where are you?) famously (at least it was famous to me!) pestered me to get this working for what seemed years. But the dreaded "real life" always seemed to get in the way. Damn I want to blind those bots !  ;D

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Does FH have smoke artillery rounds ? Commander smoke ? I can't remember now.
There is commander smoke artillery, although I doubt it is used on any of the maps. many German tanks have smoke grenade launchers, some of the allied have them too, others have smoke shells as a ammo type in their main cannons. There is also smoke ammunition available for most of the mortars and artillery pieces in game.

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Here is proof that the new smoke grenade is effective against bots!:

"Working smoke screen against AI/Bots in Forgotten Hope BF2 Mod, EPIC !" - https://youtu.be/S-0rHwSnhn4

Does FH have smoke artillery rounds ? Commander smoke ? I can't remember now.
There is commander smoke artillery, although I doubt it is used on any of the maps. many German tanks have smoke grenade launchers, some of the allied have them too, others have smoke shells as a ammo type in their main cannons. There is also smoke ammunition available for most of the mortars and artillery pieces in game.

Which tanks fire smoke grenades ? Never seen it myself.

There are some technicalities to using the same method for artillery/mortars which means it could only work in true single player games (started from the "Singleplayer" option in the in game menu). The smoke grenade is a big breakthrough because it works on both client and the server in Coop games. This is the key problem which MaxP has cracked.

Is no one else excited by this damn thing ?
« Last Edit: 07-05-2018, 21:05:11 by Michael Z Freeman »

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
PzKpfw III Ausf. M & N, PzKpfw VI Ausf. E (early model Tiger only), Daimler Mk I, Vickers Mk. VIB, Cruiser Mk IVA, and Matilda Mk II. On all of these, smoke grenade discharges are mounted on the sides of their turrets.

No. Most of us play multiplayer only. There is not even a single person working on singleplayer in the dev team for that matter. As I said before. If you're interested in it and enthusiastic about improving singleplayer mode, get in touch with devs and maybe apply for a singleplayer dev position. Otherwise, you can forget about it ever being included in FH2.

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
PzKpfw III Ausf. M & N, PzKpfw VI Ausf. E (early model Tiger only), Daimler Mk I, Vickers Mk. VIB, Cruiser Mk IVA, and Matilda Mk II. On all of these, smoke grenade discharges are mounted on the sides of their turrets.

No. Most of us play multiplayer only. There is not even a single person working on singleplayer in the dev team for that matter. As I said before. If you're interested in it and enthusiastic about improving singleplayer mode, get in touch with devs and maybe apply for a singleplayer dev position. Otherwise, you can forget about it ever being included in FH2.

Remember this is not just SP. This also includes Coop games. So if you know any Coop players please tell them !

What happened to Gavrant ? Did he resign as a dev ?

I've already been deep into the FH files with the help of MaxP and have started testing the grenade (see Youtube link above). So unless MaxP was thinking of applying I may apply for the positon. If I can convince him to apply there might even be two of us  ;D

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Remember this is not just SP. This also includes Coop games. So if you know any Coop players please tell them !
I don't know any coop players, but I know there are some people playing with bots. To be honest, I don't even know what's the difference between coop and singleplayer, I only use coop occasionally to shoot up some bots while I'm doing my beta tester's job and test stuff that requires some killing, but that's about it really.

What happened to Gavrant ? Did he resign as a dev ?
He retired from FH2 modding. I think he is working on different projects now.

Offline MaxP

• View Profile
I don't know any coop players
Why do you need to know them? :)
If they're playing coop, they, obviously, don't playing dm/cq etc. So, they're not present on forums ))
And the number of sp/coop player is, at least, tenfold more that the number of mp-fans.
« Last Edit: 08-05-2018, 19:05:02 by MaxP »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
And the number of sp/coop player is, at least, tenfold more that the number of mp-fans.
That's an interesting statement, where did you get those numbers from?

Offline MedicalWanderer

• View Profile
Hello everyone ! I made an account especially for the occasion :
I've been playing FH2 for years (in fact I began with FH 0.65 if I remember correctly) and I can testify that MaxP is totally right, the community of sp players is way bigger than most people expect. Most of us follow the forum very closely. I play occasionnaly online since quite recently, but most of the time I play LAN with colleagues.
This work on smoke would be indeed a huge improvement. It's very nice to see that some people have the talent to still improve the sp part of fh2. Thanks for that !

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
Hey guys. If its all thoroughly tested and works without any side effects im sure we can look into including it.

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Hello everyone ! I made an account especially for the occasion :
I've been playing FH2 for years (in fact I began with FH 0.65 if I remember correctly) and I can testify that MaxP is totally right, the community of sp players is way bigger than most people expect. Most of us follow the forum very closely. I play occasionnaly online since quite recently, but most of the time I play LAN with colleagues.
This work on smoke would be indeed a huge improvement. It's very nice to see that some people have the talent to still improve the sp part of fh2. Thanks for that !

Hi there MedicalWanderer . Welcome to FH forums !

That smoke has a long history, believe me. Going back to 2010 and a few years before that on BFSP forums when SatNav released his initial implementation of it.

So. Nice to hear there's so many SP/Coop players out there. The thing is tracking the numbers. PR mod have a statistics gathering system in their mod so they track what players are doing. This is the reason, I suspect, that they still put a lot of effort in SP/Coop AI as their numbers show a lot of people using it.

Hey guys. If its all thoroughly tested and works without any side effects im sure we can look into including it.

Sounds good. Do you need any help ? If so what's the process to apply to be a dev for SP/Coop ?

According to MaxP ...

So I guess this would need extensive beta testing in sp/coop games, unless you've already done that.
Not so long. For about 5000+ hours of total playing time ))

I don't know if that was in FH. It probably was his modified version of PR using WW2 maps. So it could probably do with a FH Coop game with a few players just to make sure everything is OK.

Offline MaxP

• View Profile
I don't know if that was in FH. It probably was his modified version of PR using WW2 maps. So it could probably do with a FH Coop game with a few players just to make sure everything is OK.
As the MedicalWanderer, I'm the old fan of FH - but from 0.7 :)
« Last Edit: 14-05-2018, 12:05:38 by MaxP »

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
I checked the files. Interesting, i did not know that you could add a objectspawner to a projectile. I will look into it a bit further. Also, i would not want to add this to the current smoke nades, but rather then make a _ai version of them for singleplayer/coop use.

As for applying as a SP dev, im sure we can use some help there. Are you great at navmeshing and such?

Offline MaxP

• View Profile
As for applying as a SP dev, im sure we can use some help there. Are you great at navmeshing and such?
As for me, I'm, unfortunately, not familiar with navmeshing, nor python coding.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
That's an interesting statement, where did you get those numbers from?
I'm still very much interested in this. In case you think I don't believe you: I do, but I'm curious where you got the numbers from.