Author Topic: Quick question: graphic card  (Read 650 times)

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
Quick question: graphic card
« on: 21-10-2011, 00:10:08 »
So, I used to have this PC for about 5 or 6 years, its been out of comission for almost 2 :P, but my brother wants to use it since he is moving with us in a few months, so, i pluged the thing in again and to my surprise  the graphic card was dead :P.

it was an x1300 pciexpress, used to run bf2 on medium , athlon 64 +3000, 2 gb of ram, and 80 gb of HD :P. SO, i did a search and the less expensive card i could find is a hd5450, 1gb ram and pci express too.

is it ok for the machine? been from a new generation of graphic cards (dirext11), would my software/hardware reconize it without troubles? is there another card I could use that has better performance with under 50 €? im not that good with compatibility and technical informatino about old cards xD

thanks  :)

Offline HadrianBT

• View Profile
Re: Quick question: graphic card
« Reply #1 on: 21-10-2011, 03:10:05 »
Well, if it recognizes it (which it should, at least with proper drivers), you will definitely need a HUGE fan to cool the other components down, unless you want to fry them (i.e. processor and motherboard, I'm yet to see RAM overheat, although they do sell fans even for those, believe it or not).
Proud member of CWC dev team (voice-recording).
"im sorry,but you sound like an old grumpy man listening to rock music" AngryBeaver
"Some argue that the only thing in the world you cannot get used to is an icicle up yours, because it will melt" Kelmola

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-10-2011, 09:10:56 »
Could you give us the name and designation of the motherboard? It would tell us what PCI-E it can handle and thus we could tell you if the hd5450 is able to run in there. How much power do you have with your APU? Iirc a 5450 needs 140W or something like that alone to run.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #3 on: 21-10-2011, 10:10:01 »
CMP Gaming

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-10-2011, 10:10:02 »
Ah nice. I was one generation further in my thinking.  ;D
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Smiles

• FH-Betatester
  • Boooo Auto-Spot! Booo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21-10-2011, 14:10:44 »
Im really happy with my 6870(not your price range so excuse the offtopic part) but i needed to build in 2 new fans lol.
I'm taking my own freedom
puttin' it in my song
singing loud and strong
proving all day long
I'm takin' my freedom
puttin' it in my stroll
I'll be hop-steppin' y'all
lettin' the joy unfold

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18-11-2011, 02:11:10 »
so i got the 5450 and it didnt fit, it had a 2.1 pcie and my slot its a pcie 1.0, and they seem to not like each other xD.

change it with a nvidia gt 430, works fine , but for some reason i cant pass medium settings on FH2 without droping to 20 fps averange :/, odd, i trough that with this dx11 1 gb ddr5 card bf2 would run smooth :P.

also, I found a radeon x1950 xt for 70 €, back in the days i heard that card was a beast , able to run bf2 on high and all that (I use bf2 as comparation because this pc cant handly anything more xD), what card is better? x1950 or the gt430?

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18-11-2011, 10:11:53 »
I can get better framerates on Crysis with all details on high than in BF2 with my 5850. Why? Because BF2 was made and optimized for 2005 GFX cards. Buying a card that will run BF2 the best might not run newer games as well...

EDIT: The smoke in BF2 is what kills the framerate on "too modern" GFX cards, if you want better fps, turn down the "effects".
« Last Edit: 18-11-2011, 10:11:23 by Kelmola »