Author Topic: Weird and Frustrating Patching Error  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
Weird and Frustrating Patching Error
« on: 13-07-2010, 22:07:47 »
So I recently decided to attempt to re-install FH2, despite all the frustrations that this always brings.  However, this time I have another, new problem to add to my list of problems.  

When installing BF2 out of the box, it seems that it is already patch 1.3.  So I attempted to install the 1.3-1.4 patch, which did not work, telling me that I do not have patch 1.3 installed.

Since I figured that perhaps the Readme was just wrong, then I though I must have installed an unpatched version, so I downloaded the full BF2 1.5 patch, which did not work, telling me that I already had 1.5 installed!

Now I was really frustrated, but happy to see that atleast it was already and inexplicably all patched up.  So I attempted to install FH2, which failed and told me that I had to have at least patch 1.4 installed for FH2 to work.

What the fuck is wrong with this game!?!?!?  Anybody have any similar problems, or solutions? 

Is there any file which will actually tell me what version of the game I have?

If pictures are needed I'll get some.
« Last Edit: 13-07-2010, 22:07:32 by Captain Pyjama Shark »

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
Re: Weird and Frustrating Patching Error
« Reply #1 on: 13-07-2010, 22:07:28 »
Do you have the 1.41 patch installed? that seems to be the glaring error to my eyes.
My Quebec includes Canada

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14-07-2010, 01:07:18 »
Hey it worked!  Thank you Sheikyerbouti!  I owe you a Wookie life-debt I guess.

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14-07-2010, 01:07:36 »
I was gonna say, 1.41 is the gate to 1.5  :-X

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14-07-2010, 02:07:38 »
yeah, but if you read it you peon you would see that my game told me I already had 1.5 installed.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14-07-2010, 03:07:51 »
NP dude, Now you can play with us, (rubs hands with glee, one more target)

Btw, I remember this fix from the old forums, so if anyone ever tuns dry here for solutions the answer could very well be in the old Filefront archives, so to speak.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #6 on: 15-07-2010, 15:07:44 »
lmfao, "peon"  I love that word.  You do know it means workers with no control over their working conditions?  I think it's Latin or Spanish or summat liek that.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15-07-2010, 22:07:25 »
No I did not, I just liked the word.  Good to learn.

Anyway, I played Forgotten Hope 2 about three times thanks to Sheikyerbouti's, so thanks again for that, but now I have the awful FH2 shader error that forced me to uninstall in the first place.  Bollocks.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15-07-2010, 22:07:36 »
 CPS,

The shader error always happens to me once, but just the one time only, following every patch or update from the FH2 team.

Just grin and bear it and try to ensure that you follow all the solutions for both solving the shader error and for preventing it in the long run. (always exit properly, don't disconnect from the game while the server is switching maps, etc.)

The shader error is a complete and total bitch to deal with as the epileptic seizures that ensure make me damn near bite my tongue off but from my experience, once the shader fix has taken effect, it will no longer affect your gameplay (until they release another bloody patch).

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15-07-2010, 22:07:58 »
I beg to differ, unfortunately.  I've literally had this every patch, like you said.  However, every time I fix it, it breaks again after about three rounds of the game!  And then, when I try to fix it again, the solution that worked before doesn't work anymore.  I just replaced the files, and it did nought.  So I am going to go have a siezure, and then I'll take another look at it.  I don't understand what is wrong!  I exit the game normally, I think, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Hmm... so all my folders are in place, and I think they have the correct names and all.  I deleted the cache things, and the backup.  However, it still cannot find my folders apparently.  I think I might pull a Himmler and go poison my children and then shoot myself if this persists.
« Last Edit: 15-07-2010, 22:07:14 by Captain Pyjama Shark »

Offline sheikyerbouti

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15-07-2010, 22:07:30 »
 Mate,
 We can hammer this issue down with some patience. My roommate has the exact same issue as you but it (the fix) all depends on which OS you have. Try to make some notes as to what you are doing when you re-create the shader bug.

Do you have background programs, antivirus or firewall settings that might interfere with the game?
Do you Alt-tab out of the game?
How do you start and exit the game?
Are you using the FH2 toolbox?
Did you install from the full download or are you using the incremental patches?

some other issues may be at play here, but as a start I suggest the next time you get FH2 working (after the error), restart the PC and then try to connect. It could be a simple matter of Windows retrieving the old files in place of the ones you just installed.

My preferred fix has been to delete the shaders, then Crap-Cleaner the old files away, then install the replacements which tends to work for me until of course the next version comes out.

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15-07-2010, 22:07:54 »
Ok, I used to have anti-virus interfering, but that's been dealt with so I think I can rule it out.  Alt-tabbing out of the game I am prone to, so that could be the reason, so I'll have to avoid that next time.  

I right click the game to start, which gives me the little Vista "Do you want to allow this" option, so I think I open is safely, and I just exit with the quit button.  However, there might be a problem around there, because every so often when I close the game, I get the "FH2 can't find this shader thingy blah" error, after the game is closed, and then the next time I try the game I get it when I open the game, and then I can't open at all the time after that.  If you didn't get that I'll try to go more in-depth.

I am not using the FH2 toolbox, for some reason I get an error whenever I try to open it so I've never used it.

I installed from the full download.  

I deleted the old shader files and reinstalled new ones manually, no crap-cleaner.  Does that mean I might have some old file lying around still and screwing my game up?

Edit:  What should the names of my BF2 and Fh2 shader files be, just to double check?

And also, I can't run vanilla either, it that is helpful information.
« Last Edit: 15-07-2010, 23:07:32 by Captain Pyjama Shark »

Offline sheikyerbouti

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15-07-2010, 23:07:12 »
umm, names are in FH2\mods folder:
 shaders_client = 188 kb
 shaders_client.zip.backup 188kb

In BF2\mods\bf2\shaders folder:
 shaders_client.zip 431 kb

Make sure the shaders are zip files and doublecheck you have the correct filesize in each relevant mods folder.

Good Luck, I can only help so much but I always want to see any forum compatriots on the field of battle.

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16-07-2010, 00:07:16 »
Haha!  My own stupidity was the problem, I named my file "shaders_client.zip" while apparently it only was supposed to be named "shaders".  Problem solved!

Except now I have the black and white sights problem.  Great.  Oh well at least I can load up the game now.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16-07-2010, 08:07:09 »
...Except now I have the black and white sights problem.  Great.  Oh well at least I can load up the game now.
Just do this again:
2) If the problem persists: Remove the files-directories in /my documents/battlefield 2/cache and /my documents/battlefield 2/mods/bf2/cache and /my documents/battlefield 2/mods/fh2/cache. Tip: The FHToolbox has a tool to do this for you!
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off