Author Topic: Destructible Bridges  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Sir_Pee_Alot

• View Profile
Destructible Bridges
« on: 24-11-2012, 13:11:05 »
i would like t know what you guys say about destructible bridges i really like the idea of blowing up large Bridges and holt the advance of enemys so the need to find a other way or repair the bridges i think you get some nice gameplay.

and napalm on maps like cobra it was used on that oparation!

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
Re: Destructible Bridges
« Reply #1 on: 24-11-2012, 13:11:19 »
I like destructibles too, but they say it causes lag. Can I has them for SP at least?

Offline Wakain

• Why no Italian bias?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24-11-2012, 14:11:43 »
It would add an interesting dimension to the game, but would probably lead to severe imbalances on current maps + the problem of how/whether to repair them and what with. The wrench would not be an option (though I wouldn't complain) in a mostly realistic mod like fh2 and other solutions like pontoon bridges are a hell of a work and wouldn't fit in the fast-paced gameplay of fh2.

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24-11-2012, 14:11:50 »
Two things: first, FFS use commas and periods.
Second: Wakain, you're saying that fixing bridges with wrenches is unrealistic, but you have no problem fixing burning tanks with 2hp back to full health with the exact same wrench? Then again, you also said that you'd approve the wrench system.

Back to the topic at hand: destroyable bridges would be handy on maps like Falaise Pocket and Bardia (can't come up with other maps with river crossings on bridges) and would be great for bottlenecking advance routes, and if some inconspicous places where you can wade rivers with vehicles would be added, blowing the bridge would not hamper the entire advance, and shouldn't imbalance the maps that much.

Wall of text made short: I approve this idea, but only if alternate routes are provided.
I'd rather play Kimble with my ass!

Offline Rabbit032

• By all means necessary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24-11-2012, 16:11:59 »
I was actually thinking about this recently. It seems like things like the bridges have a multiple stage destruction, I wouldn't mind seeing something.

1. Either a block on to what % health it can be repaired to after or much slower repair time (like 30 seconds to 1 minute) to make bridges very vital locations.

2. Wood planks that run across the blow out area to still allow infantry to cross even if it's only single file.

3. Ticket losses for bridges people lost. so if it's a level the Germans defend they lost lets say 50 tickets if the bridge gets blown (this is of course if it can not be repaired.) That way it will prevent them from blowing their own bridge to stop the enemies vehicles.

Pretty much what I want to see is the normal destroyed bridge with no way to cross, but a cap at let's say 10% that it can be repaired to, the 10% level has wood plank(s) through it to still allow infantry to cross. Like so...

Pipe Hitters Union

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24-11-2012, 17:11:12 »
Second: Wakain, you're saying that fixing bridges with wrenches is unrealistic, but you have no problem fixing burning tanks with 2hp back to full health with the exact same wrench? Then again, you also said that you'd approve the wrench system.

Back to the topic at hand: destroyable bridges would be handy on maps like Falaise Pocket and Bardia (can't come up with other maps with river crossings on bridges) and would be great for bottlenecking advance routes, and if some inconspicous places where you can wade rivers with vehicles would be added, blowing the bridge would not hamper the entire advance, and shouldn't imbalance the maps that much.

Wall of text made short: I approve this idea, but only if alternate routes are provided.

shame on you! Totalize has to be The map here.  :o

Offline »KeFeng

• Fluffy 762-Main Tank. Sleeps with his MG42.
    • View Profile
    • »KeFeng Gaming @ YouTube
« Reply #6 on: 24-11-2012, 17:11:12 »
I guess Ramelle would make the most sence. If the Bridge gets destroyed, Germans have to repair the Bridge under Allied Fire to make the Tiger(s) advance. That would give the Allies Time to get defensive Positions to hold Alamo more effectively.
Pround Part of Squad Wurstkeks, grimly Dive Bomber and coin operated MG Gunner

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24-11-2012, 17:11:41 »
I guess Ramelle would make the most sence. If the Bridge gets destroyed, Germans have to repair the Bridge under Allied Fire to make the Tiger(s) advance. That would give the Allies Time to get defensive Positions to hold Alamo more effectively.

Or we could have dynamites for the Americans to blow up the bridge just like in the move!  ;D

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24-11-2012, 18:11:55 »
I'd rather just blow up Ramelle completely and make Arnhem for FH2 to be honest.
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline pizzzaman

• Test Map De-coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24-11-2012, 21:11:29 »
I'd rather just blow up Ramelle completely and make Arnhem for FH2 to be honest.

That could just work
You are bathing in misery and hope, waiting for someone to come and pull the plug.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24-11-2012, 22:11:29 »

That could just work

Why dont we have both?

Offline Comrade Roe

• Achtung panzer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25-11-2012, 16:11:31 »

shame on you! Totalize has to be The map here.  :o
Also, I think there may actually be 2 bridges on Mareth Line.

I like the idea, personally. Would be great to slow offensives, and if we finally get an official St. Mere Eglise map with the Army Airborne Corps dropping over France, it would be perfect (though we'd probably already have it alongside Flak in objective mode).

Offline BaskaBommi

• Fought the Battle of the Nazisis
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27-12-2012, 15:12:54 »
One of the WAW Italy-maps had destructible bridges, It was so much fun to sneak behind lines and troll the Frenchies (americans) by blowing them up :)
Steam-name: Sinko-Zimo

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29-12-2012, 01:12:07 »
 i would love to see destructible objectives on more maps. it can be done (see Op. hyacinth), we just need the Devs to see that it can be done without entirely ruining maps for gameplay value.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline BaskaBommi

• Fought the Battle of the Nazisis
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29-12-2012, 14:12:39 »
i would love to see destructible objectives on more maps. it can be done (see Op. hyacinth), we just need the Devs to see that it can be done without entirely ruining maps for gameplay value.

Anctonville 32 has some objectives to deal with.
Steam-name: Sinko-Zimo