Author Topic: FH2 v2.45 Changelog discussion!  (Read 7198 times)

Offline Watchtower1001

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
FH2 v2.45 Changelog discussion!
« on: 13-07-2012, 03:07:48 »
Read the Changelog and discuss your likes, dislikes, biggest surprises, disappointments, and the forum busting flame war starting 'I can't believe they did/didn't do this' !!

Changelog:  http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/screenshotsfh2/news/2.45_release/changelog_fh2.4.txt

I'm gonna chime in and say..."wow" to what an overall nice new set of features and changes.

**Spoilers Below**

Pretty sure many small things were not mentioned so it's hard to see until it's in our hands.  BUT--

Biggest shock:  Removing stamina penalty for sprinting / jumping, effectively allowing UNLIMITED SPRINTING or maybe BF3 type sprinting (my best guess, Am I wrong??) which is AWESOME.  I think that should've made it into v2.4, but v2.4's running system was a huge step in the right direction after the adjustment getting used to a slower walk/jog, but no stamina penalty on sprint is most welcome now considering the gigantic map sizes and you cannot fire your weapon running anyways.  And no,  this does not mean bunny hopping ppl.

General likes:  King of the Hill, obj modes, Removal of multi-player (2+ players) flag capping requirements in many map flags, tweaked lethality radius of HE projectiles allowing more survivability, and what I'm reading as "standardized ticket/bleed system" which hopefully improves great maps like Tunis which has a ticket bleed system that is just jacked and unfair and ruins the whole thing.  Upgraded Op. Cobra which seems to be one of the biggest FH2 flagship maps.

Some general disappointment not seeing the US .30cal kits being added to more maps as a stock option, with the exception of Hurtgen Forest.  German mg42 vs the BAR isn't quite a great match most of the time.  Brest could've really use a .30cal class, among others.  Still no historically accurate Cycle Rate for Thompson/Mp40 (700/575) :'( but now mg42 is 1200rpm (2.4=900rpm) so a partial redemption, but many of us still wait for "historical realism" with regard to the weapons rate of fire esp. with the iconic SMGs.

Biggest disappointment:  Ramelle tweaks, or, lackthereof.  No mention of removal of 2nd Tiger from Ramelle (at least not mentioned in log), which unbalances the map entirely esp. in a smaller game of 32p or less, still no 16/32p support!!  This ain't a movie, it's a game, so balance accordingly.  Boo + :( .

Overall though as a regular player everything is looking awesome.

« Last Edit: 13-07-2012, 03:07:21 by Watchtower1001 »
"762 Admin"
"Watchtower's Fh2 2.45 Sound Conversion - http://tinyurl.com/WatchySoundMod"

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: FH2 v2.45 Changelog discussion!
« Reply #1 on: 13-07-2012, 08:07:59 »
Don't worry, Ramelle has received some work over the last year :)

- Sector Push, allowing the Germans to press on and we don't risk the yo-yo:ing effect where the battle just moves back n forth between a few flags.
- The first Tiger tank stops spawning when the Germans have secured Sector A
- Americans have received some AT guns in the rear flags
- Ladder in the river is fixed, now all 4 ladders work!

Possibly some other minor tweaks I forget right now. Overall the battle should flow from really hard for the americans in the beginning (poor Tom Hanks and Matt Damon getting steamrolled) to being quite hard for the Germans in the end (need to take that last flag to win the map)

Hope you enjoy it!

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-07-2012, 08:07:19 »
Removal of multi-player (2+ players) flag capping requirements in many map flags,

I'm not sure I'll like this as it seems it will encourage lonewolfing. And abusing the push bug where some guy gets behind enemy lines and auto caps all flags as the push progresses... This will only make it easier for them...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline TimeMachineAssassin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13-07-2012, 09:07:53 »
Wait, so you can jump as much as you want, like continously jumping accross a danger area? Thats gona be funny. But I will reserve judgement until I try it, maybe it wont be as effective as I think.

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-07-2012, 10:07:42 »
One disturbing change I noticed is that a good number of Normandy and Bulge maps are losing bazookas altogether for the Americans. What gives? On all the maps in question, axis armor is massively powerful. Why did the devs take out bazookas altogether? If there were too many they could have just reduced the # of classes on those maps. Now it's going to be like we're in North Africa all over again and suicide attack tanks with little grenades. Craziness!

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Tiny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13-07-2012, 10:07:44 »
One disturbing change I noticed is that a good number of Normandy and Bulge maps are losing bazookas altogether for the Americans. What gives? On all the maps in question, axis armor is massively powerful. Why did the devs take out bazookas altogether? If there were too many they could have just reduced the # of classes on those maps. Now it's going to be like we're in North Africa all over again and suicide attack tanks with little grenades. Craziness!

A dev care to comment on this?

Also removing stamina seems odd to me, yes now you can run like speedy gonzales all across el alamein desert, but your not bloddy supposed to in the first place.

Offline Koketsu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13-07-2012, 10:07:28 »
Well its not like we ran that fast anyway and they reduced the speed
Dont laugh... im new :/

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13-07-2012, 10:07:25 »

Also removing stamina seems odd to me, yes now you can run like speedy gonzales all across el alamein desert, but your not bloddy supposed to in the first place.

They further lowered the running speed, so it's more like you can run in slow motion all across the Alamein desert... Which is odd as it's supposed to represent like 20 squared kilometers of battlefield...

You will never again have that feeling of being "stranded" in the middle of nowhere and the map will start to feel increasingly small (and fake). But I won't comment further until I see how it will play out...

However I do have a vague idea why they decided to go that way. Yes it was because it was somewhat annoying (and boring) being stranded in the middle of nowhere... But you could always call someone to pick you up... It's not like you were really lost. But instead of promoting teamplay and comradeship the devs decided it's better to encourage lonewolfing. The other reason is certainly the "broken statics" which were often acting as impassable obstacles if you were low on stamina... But I'm still not sure if sprint bar had to go completely.
« Last Edit: 13-07-2012, 10:07:38 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13-07-2012, 10:07:23 »
...Uh yeah, I honestly can't believe that sprint stamina and jump stamina has been taken out. What's to prevent people from bunny hopping? Also, I never thought stamina drain was an issue ... it added tactical depth to crossing expanses of open terrain. Now that's completely gone ... someone care to explain this baffling decision??

Trust me/us, the change made me sceptical as well, but after playing a round on St. Vith, I figured that it really helped improve the game-flow. Broken statics make the game feel less clumsy now and more natural. On the plus side, the loss of the stamina bar really cleans up the hud!
You won't miss it.
Also, I've noticed an alarming number of maps losing bazookas as anti tank weapons, especially in Normandy and Battle of the Bulge. What gives? Axis armor is very powerful on these maps, and you're taking away bazookas?? I don't understand these changes in the least bit.
On the whole I'm looking forward to the release, but these big unnecessary gameplay changes have certainly put a dent in my excitement...

They aren't gone completely, just replaced by other AT weapons in the spawn menu. You'll still have the pickup kits and the new AT weapons really add to the gameplay and don't ruin it like you are making it out to...
Crank up your excitement, as FH2.45 plays even better than 2.4, imho the changes have improved FH2 as much as they did back when F2.25 moved to FH2.3.
« Last Edit: 13-07-2012, 10:07:58 by DLFReporter »
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13-07-2012, 11:07:31 »
Added German Fallschirmjäger Helmet! HELL YEAH!!!

Added Anglemod on Airplanes - I hope this will not lead to crazy bounces.
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

Offline Defibkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13-07-2012, 11:07:35 »
imho the changes have improved FH2 as much as they did back when F2.25 moved to FH2.3.

And imho, the jump from 2.3 to 2.4 was a disaster...the bias towards ensuring an Axis victory with improved German Armour and weakened Allied weaponry was blatantly obvious, if FH2 is about historical accuracy, then it's amazing that the Allies ever won the war.

It's no coincidence that my playtime of FH2 went from 12-20hrs a week, down to 4 or 5 after 2.4.

Sorry, but for me, the Dev's got the balance completely wrong in 2.4, I'll try 2.45, but I still expect FH2's glory days to be over.

EDIT:

On a side note...I just LOVE my new 100mbit Fibre connection, 4.2GB torrent download in 8 Mins.. ;D
« Last Edit: 13-07-2012, 11:07:53 by Defibkiller »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13-07-2012, 11:07:31 »
Say what? The US weapons are still far superior to the axis counterparts... alas I believe this is just a subjective feeling you got there. I mean look at all the axis only players bitching about superior allied armour, you can't call that objective either. ^^

Offline Defibkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13-07-2012, 11:07:07 »
Say what? The US weapons are still far superior to the axis counterparts... alas I believe this is just a subjective feeling you got there. I mean look at all the axis only players bitching about superior allied armour, you can't call that objective either. ^^

I've played enough rounds to know you stand a FAR better chance of winning in the majority of maps if you play on the Axis team.

Part of the problem, is that the vast majority of really experienced players in FH2 always seem to want to play on the Axis side, thereby leading to VERY unbalanced teams, combine that with nerf'd Allied AT capability, and it quickly becomes very old..

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13-07-2012, 11:07:03 »
For me, the "ersatz SP guns" were the most welcome surprise:
     * Added Fiat 626 (47/32)
     * Added Fiat 626 (Breda 35)
     * Added AEC Deacon (40mm Bofors)
     * Added SdKfz 7 (Pak 38)
     * Added Chevy 30cwt Portee (2pdr)
     * Added Chevy 30cwt Portee (Breda 35)
     * Added Kübelwagen (MG34)

Also, on Lüttich:
     * Added M5 76mm AT gun
AWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Falaise Pocket:
     * Added StuH42
8)

* Decreased player bleed health loss by 50%
Mmmkay, so now we have twice as much time to bandage ourselves?

* Tweaked ragdoll behavior to be more realistic
Prone soldiers don't lift their entire torso up 90 degrees with arms windmilling wildly when they die from blood loss?

* Added German Fallschirmjäger helmet
  * Added German Waffen SS winter playermodels
8)

* Added cannon pushing animations
...meaning there's now a  "pusher" seat for moving and "gunner" seat for firing?

* Added bicycle peddling animations
Does this mean cavalry is now possible?

* Improved passenger animations for more cover in APCs
Sounds good, because as it was, Bren carrier was just a deathtrap with the heads conveniently sticking outside.

* Added Faustpatrone
  * Added MG81z mounted on tripod
  * Added M1917A1 mounted on tripod
  * Added .50 cal mountred on tripod
8)

* Added duck ability to Lafettes
Finally. Now if only the gunner did not look straight up anymore...

* Fixed Bren AA not being able to hit the ground
SO MUCH WIN (especially on Crete)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13-07-2012, 11:07:06 »
I've played enough rounds to know you stand a FAR better chance of winning in the majority of maps if you play on the Axis team.
Part of the problem, is that the vast majority of really experienced players in FH2 always seem to want to play on the Axis side, thereby leading to VERY unbalanced teams, combine that with nerf'd Allied AT capability, and it quickly becomes very old..

The first bit is true, call it regional Bias (I wager it would be inverse in the US. ;D), but the second bit isn't.
Is it the devs fault that the 'good' players like to stack teams?!