Author Topic: FH2 Player's Guide  (Read 8509 times)

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
Re: FH2 Player's Guide
« Reply #15 on: 05-11-2012, 01:11:59 »
Can there be something like wiki, where anybody could add, edit, update. I dont know what it involves to get one of those going. Id like to know about the underlying mechanics of the game, tables and things. Because there is rock, paper, scissors dynamic going on, that information needs to be available without 50 years fh2 experience. I use gameFAQs alot, they got a cool thing going on over there.

See, this is a lot of my thinking as well. I understand that there's no substitute for experience but there are a lot of parts of FH2 you have to play for ages to understand, and a lot of parts you can play for ages and still not understand at all anyway. There are countless examples of things you could assume you can do in FH2 that you can't, but you could keep trying to do for months thinking you just suck before someone else just happens to put you straight.

In my eyes, one of the single most important things I'd want out of an FH2 guide is to remove doubt, uncertainty and questions with fact, precision and truth. So you don't do things like waste Shermans for two weeks trying to take out the Panther with the shot trap if it doesn't have one coded.
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05-11-2012, 01:11:18 »
There used to be a wiki but no idea what happened to it.

Offline Easy Eight

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05-11-2012, 10:11:17 »
You can always create your own wiki - for free: http://www.wikia.com/Wikia

Fritz Kempf did that for FHSW: http://fhsw.wikia.com/wiki/Forgotten_Hope_Secret_Weapon_Wiki (not perfect in any way but still a helpful reference)

To have a consistent (and therefore professional) look it's important that you create the templates and guidlines on how to create a page before everyone starts editing in his own way.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06-11-2012, 01:11:53 »
Do we have anyone here who would be genuinely willing to contribute some of their expertise? We've all got at least one thing in FH2, be it tanking or sniping or whatever, that we're really good at. I'm thinking that it would be great to have four or five people write their own personal guides to different parts of gameplay, and then we could take the best of each thing submitted and use it to create that section in the Guide.

Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline AdamPA1006

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08-11-2012, 07:11:10 »
Do we have anyone here who would be genuinely willing to contribute some of their expertise? We've all got at least one thing in FH2, be it tanking or sniping or whatever, that we're really good at. I'm thinking that it would be great to have four or five people write their own personal guides to different parts of gameplay, and then we could take the best of each thing submitted and use it to create that section in the Guide.

That sounds awesome I could do some work

Offline TimeMachineAssassin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08-11-2012, 08:11:38 »
I got a few pointers for infantry on a small scale. Most of what I would say would sound elementary.

Heres a winner: I noticed that while crouching or standing with a rifle the weapon and sights sway down and to the right back up then down and to the left and back. But always down and to the right first when going to iron sights. Since the bullets still comes out the middle, you have to compensate. So if you aim a little low and to the right of the target within the first second or so while its still moving down right, you will hit because the bullet is actually coming out high and to the left in relation to the front sight post. In other words, while crouching and moreso when standing(because sway is more) aim low and to the right by the same amount that the weapon sways. I dont worry about the other side because most shots happen within the first second of going to ironsights. If you go mess with it yourself, youll see what i mean.

Offline IrishReloaded

• Leader of Irishforce
    • View Profile

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08-11-2012, 14:11:14 »

That sounds awesome I could do some work

That's the spirit! As the way I picture it it's not even really work. What I started to do thinking about this guide is the same way I write short stories, just open up a notepad document and whenever I happen to think of something useful, scribble out a little -point form note, and then return later to try and make it look like something worth reading. If enough people did that, even just dedicated 10 minutes a day for it (say, alt-tab out of a map you don't like, since clearly you're in the mood for FH anyway at the time), then a month from now we're swimming in tactical advice.

I would be happy to write the majority of the work myself (assuming there is no one else who would like to do it), but there is a hell of a lot I don't know how to do very well or at all in FH2 and would definitely need other players to contribute to. The idea of a guide is 100% for the benefit of the community/player base, so to my way of thinking, it should be 100% written by the players, updated every so often to reflect new things submitted, etc. I post on here enough that most of you will have some idea of the way I write, which is hopefully at least readable, but everyone who wants to help out in any way at all is more than welcome to.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09-11-2012, 17:11:18 »
I've got a few volunteers already, if you think you would like to contribute anything at all please post here or send me a private message detailing what you would like to write a few paragraphs about (tanking, sniper tactics, commander strategy, engineering, etc.).

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11-11-2012, 05:11:11 »
Speak now or forever hold your peace!

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13-11-2012, 17:11:16 »
So far I have received a couple private messages. I have no problem writing the entire thing myself if need be, but there are an awful lot of FH2 players better at everything than I am, so please post here or message me if you can contribute in any way!

Offline AdamPA1006

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13-11-2012, 20:11:09 »
I can write about infantry combat

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13-11-2012, 21:11:25 »
I think the text of the training videos could be used, and a lot of content from the Tactics & Tutorials section of this forum.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20-11-2012, 18:11:36 »
Thanks to all those who submitted. I am continuing to take notes in preparation for a rough draft. In the meantime, are there any players reading this who are experienced in being a commander? I have never done that myself and would appreciate if anyone would like to contribute regarding how to be an effective commander.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21-11-2012, 01:11:41 »
How to be an effective commander...
You got to take in consideration that the squads can see things you can't. Either way threatening to drop artillery on them usually gets their asses moving. Executing some nearby berk with your pistol is an excellent form of motivation.