Author Topic: 64+ Opinions  (Read 3287 times)

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: 64+ Opinions
« Reply #15 on: 31-10-2012, 23:10:00 »
@Surfbird: why the hell should I write a hateful post about this topic? If you take it like this it is up to you, but overall it is a problem while comunicating over the internet. I didn't even try to be offensive to you, so sorry if you understood this wrong.  ;)

I was just pointing out, that those mentioned maps don't even work properly with their intended player count, so why would they work better with more players?
About your problem with campers: that's the downside of a scoreborad that shows the K/D and progrssion systems. A table like in RO would fit better where only the score is shown. How you reach this is up to you.
The problem of brainlessly rushing forward is, that it frustrates the players quite fast. We all hate this spawn, die, spawn, die ... so don't expect the other players to follow you if they are not 100% sure whether to attack or not.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02-11-2012, 07:11:22 »
Every single map we have require some work to work as we want them to, with 100+ players.
Some require less, some require a lot more.

If we design proper 128p gameplay modes for them, it will be on selected maps that already play really well.
The non-working 64 sizes can stay and be used as server filler. We won't arbitrarily force 128 on to every map, Pdh, Brest and Tunis are maps that probably wont get 128p layers.
 That is the beauty with sector push, it works as well with 12v12 as it does with 32v32 because of the limited game play areas per sector. A bit like in Rush.

Offline ChargerCarl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03-11-2012, 21:11:42 »
128p FH2 is some of the most fun I've ever had gaming.

Offline Sir_Pee_Alot

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03-11-2012, 21:11:15 »
i love they new code would be awesome with they russian front cant wait to kill hordes of russians

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04-11-2012, 14:11:41 »
I like 64+ but public play often becomes tiresome because of increased numbers on smaller maps, even though epic things can happen. For tournaments however it's the greatest thing since sliced bread was invented!
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Gulagman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05-11-2012, 00:11:15 »
I really like 64+. Sure, it has its disadvantages such as the influx of new players not knowing the rules, but I think it's more realistic having 50 vs 50. With my terrible internet and frequent disconnects, having more players is def better as I'm often on the arty and need spotters. The one thing I often get annoyed at is new players unknowingly blocking arty or don't have enough experience to use them. I really wish there was a manual for the more casual players, I'm pretty inexperienced on some maps also :P
I play arty because I've a terrible connection with frequent disconnects to the servers.

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05-11-2012, 01:11:50 »
I really like 64+. Sure, it has its disadvantages such as the influx of new players not knowing the rules, but I think it's more realistic having 50 vs 50. With my terrible internet and frequent disconnects, having more players is def better as I'm often on the arty and need spotters. The one thing I often get annoyed at is new players unknowingly blocking arty or don't have enough experience to use them. I really wish there was a manual for the more casual players, I'm pretty inexperienced on some maps also :P

There very well may be some day in the future..
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05-11-2012, 09:11:00 »
I always think that 64 maps are made-to-proper size FH2 maps. So you can fit in more than 100 to realistic number of soldiers that participated in the historical battle.

So let's say, Omaha Beach, Normandy was stormed by a division of US army. I believe the map should work pretty well and could perhaps reflect the intentsity of the real battle if played by a good amount of players.

64+ is always fun. Even with bots. I experimented with 54 vs 54 too on my PC. It is much better than the original 32 vs 32. Bots now man emplacements instead of just poking around aimlessly into flag positions. I met much more ambushes (the map design) than before in Fall of Tobruk. Bots tries new path much more now, and when they stuck in an overlooking position, they will perform some kind of ambush on unsuspecting enemy bots crossing the open path. I have to throw grenades through open doors and window sills now, just to make sure that it is clear.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07-11-2012, 02:11:15 »
I don't expect many people to be with me on this, but I think on these 128 servers we really need to look at kicking people for certain kinds of accidental teamkills. Sometimes shit happens, I get it. Today I killed two teammates with a HE shell because I missed sending it through the window, and then I killed two more when I actually got it through the window. Other times you're driving from the direction of the enemy in an enemy vehicle, and that's reasonable enough. The are plenty of scenarios where teamkilling someone was understandable, and all that's need is a quick sry/np and we all move on.

But the kind of teamkills I am repeatedly encountering every single map during 64+ play are a different ball of wax. I don't even want to see people kicked for occasional stupid teamkills, but I see the same names cropping up again during the week, and once you have a history, I think there's nothing wrong with giving someone the boot for 2 minutes and maybe they'll try a little harder next time. I want more people to play FH2 just as much as any of you, but once the actions of friendly teammates start to genuinely interfere with my ability to enjoy the game, something has to be done to make people smarten up. And that is what they do - completely block me from enjoying the game. There have been countless awesome, awesome days of FH2 recently - there have been dozens of rounds were I was physically reddening with anger at how 10 or 20 minutes of work was completely fucked up by people who should know better. It is no different to someone's smacktarding and team-destroying ruining your ability to enjoy the game. I shouldn't have to type "friendly on the roof of church" in the first place, but I do to be safe. So why on Earth do I (not once, but time after time after time), as a German player in a German uniform with a German panzerschrek at a German flag firing at British tanks get repeatedly killed by my time. It's not even a matter of someone looks like they're going to shoot you, and you react - if the player is not looking at you, you have no excuse for that shit after the first time you do it. If I spent 10 minutes carefully placing anti-tank mines to prevent the inevitable attack on Matmata from the Germans at Tegaba Gap, painstakingly placing 5 mines perfectly, putting the flags in clever spots clearly visible by friendlies but unseen (over the crest of the hill) to the Germans, all the while endlessly detailing this in team chat, I sure as fuck don't deserve -32 teamwork points when 10 minutes of work goes to shit in 30 seconds because Shermans loaded up with teammates drive right over the signs, and in some cases, literally drove past me shooting my rifle and jumping in front of them saying "Stop!" on the commo rose. On Hurtgen, I teamkilled 11 people with S-mines in one round, despite mentioning where they were and making sure they weren't in spawn points. One player walked over my mines five times, despite several people telling him how to turn his 3D map on. The only possible excuse was that he might not understand English, which made it all the more frustrating that two maps later he spent the entire round bitching in flawless 12-year old English how annoyed he was that we were playing the 32 and not the 64 of Point du Hoc. Any server I ran, you would get two minutes listening to Entering Battle while staring at the server screen for bullshit like that.

Like I said, I don't expect many to agree, but if you repeatedly do any of these things (note: REPEATEDLY, NOT ONCE IN A WHILE) and in addition you demonstrate no willingness to learn to play correctly, and continue to frustrate your teammates, ruin their scores, etc., then you deserve a kick, in my opinion.

- Repeatedly ignore written warnings about friendly locations
- Repeatedly drive over friendly mines despite flags
- Repeatedly walk over friendly S-mines
- Repeatedly shoot friendly players in friendly flags

Of course, part of the problem is 90% of the kinds of players that 64+ play attracts aren't the kind of shitheads I want to play online with anyway, but it's not like anything can be done about that. Many players new to the mod are going to be fine additions to the player base, but many other continue to demonstrate nothing but selfish, mindless play. For every soldier that picks up a wrench to help you repair, there's ten more to steal your tank, teamkill you, take your kit and you've got an eternity to hold your breath if you want to, because you aren't getting a sorry. I've also made it my personal mission, and I could not give less of a shit how much of a dick it makes me look like, to mention by name any player I see continuing to take limited kits into vehicles, another offense that should be considered kickable in my book.
« Last Edit: 07-11-2012, 02:11:13 by Andrew »

Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline Gulagman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07-11-2012, 04:11:44 »
Hey Christie, I feel your pain man. I've found that the following helps the newer players on 128 to get used to the environment.

-Telling new players to press alt to see/unsee AP mines. Sometimes, they press it by accident and forget that it's turned off.
-Telling new players that they have to place AT flags when they put mines down or other's can't see them
-For arty, if I see that I might hit someone, I just don't usually shoot, esp if I see that their name is not that I recognize, so they're prob new and charges into an area without waiting for smoke rounds.

Again, the influx of new players may be frustrating, but patience with them will enable some of them to get better and it's only a matter of time before they develop enough skills. Most don't know server rules and if the rules were enforced better or just have the server chat display a warning, I think people will get better. It really is frustrating that a player might shoot you out of a vehicle or off your gun to get it, but those have been very rare for me. It's usually that they don't take time to recognize uniforms/equipment or just lack the knowledge how to use the minimap to identify friendlies and foes. I've known many times where hesitating to shoot cost me a life because I couldn't identify them, so it can be forgiven sometimes that players TK you.
I play arty because I've a terrible connection with frequent disconnects to the servers.

Offline AdamPA1006

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08-11-2012, 07:11:17 »
I feel like not enough people are reading what is typed. It can sometimes be very useful. For instance typing that there it tanks and planes available that we could use

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08-11-2012, 07:11:54 »
"not enough?"... no one reads the chat text.. it should be disabled on 128p servers since it scrolls too fast when 40 people typing at the same time... it's just spam, and you miss radio commands.

Disable typed chat in 128 = people will use voice chat and radio commands more = better game play.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08-11-2012, 14:11:45 »
...and better screenshots!

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08-11-2012, 16:11:12 »
It's a bit naive to think that so many people will use voip more. I guess more squads than usually will do so, but that's not gonna be the majority. On the other hand there is less unnecessary trash talk on the server and people will be disappointed to be unable to discuss about stealing vehicles. Well to me it's a good thing when that stops but 762 won't be able to enforce their rules that well I guess. Also, you should have the chance to type something in the chat if you want to. It might disappear fast, but there are always people seeing it and sometimes you jsut ahve something important to say to your team or to someone on the server (who is on arty/in a tank for example).

So, disabling chat completely is not an option imo. What about deleting the artillery spot message from chat for example and make things like "Roger that." only visible to squad mates for example (if possible)?

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08-11-2012, 16:11:51 »
Disabling chat? Really? How about disable everything but chat, so that the message "Panther NE of Bizory" isn't gone in .5 seconds, to be replaced by 15 straight ENEMY QUESTION MARK IN THE WOODS SPOTTED!?