Author Topic: AA trailer statics  (Read 989 times)

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
AA trailer statics
« on: 23-10-2012, 23:10:14 »
Its been a while since i suggested anything, but i now suggest that trailer statics for the various AA guns to be made, it would be a very nice impression to the AA positions along with the ammo boxes etc. for some reason i cannot explain i think it would give people a greater feeling. i might even take it as long as saying it might give them a more dramatic feeling, just think about it.. say its a map and its dawn, you are next to an AA position, say a Vierling or just a singlebarrel, and you have the whole picture of the AA firing along with its equipment.. its just does it for me atleast.. these specialties.  :)
« Last Edit: 24-10-2012, 02:10:49 by Sn00x »

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• Zi's Iz mein Flammenwerfer! And it Werfs Flammen!
    • View Profile
Re: AA carrier statics
« Reply #1 on: 23-10-2012, 23:10:28 »
The 5 "No's" of the suggestion forum of FH2
1.) Not high priority enough
2.) Not used/produced enough in the war
3.) Irrelevant to WW2
4.) Unable to put into mod
5.) Too much work for very little reward

I love the idea of this, especially making the maps more atmospheric with these kind of little details,but-

Currently, this suggestion resides on numbers 1 and 5 in the eyes of a developer, specifically the mapper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8XCJlMlxVE

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24-10-2012, 00:10:07 »
being a mapper myself, you can put aside that "specifically the mapper", mappers strive for perfection.

and there is no need explaining that to an ex-beta tester and ex-applicant ;)
funny how im not even mentioned in the credits for making eppeldorf. :o
« Last Edit: 24-10-2012, 00:10:20 by Sn00x »

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24-10-2012, 01:10:41 »
Wait, what exactly are you suggesting? I don't follow ???

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24-10-2012, 01:10:29 »
i guess trailer was the right word for it.

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24-10-2012, 02:10:29 »
I think it's a great idea Sn00x. I personally love the trailer mounts that the 40mm Bofors are sometimes on. Not sure if they're a static or part of the gun, but it just "does it" for me. I find it much more believable if I see a trailer mount for the gun, rather than just having a Flak38 sitting in the middle of a field. I always appreciate the ammo boxes statics around fixed guns. Much more immersive and detailed map making.
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! –ping       <3

Online VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: AA trailer statics
« Reply #6 on: 24-10-2012, 02:10:08 »
Agreed, would be nice to see :3

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24-10-2012, 02:10:52 »
Oh, right! Well, yes, this is a very good suggestion for the "immersion department" of the mod. I can tell you I still remember those deployed 88s with the trailers nearby in Earned in Blood's mission Hedgerow Hell after all these years. It's been actually just a few weeks since I thought of exactly this reading through another thread. :)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24-10-2012, 08:10:43 »
funny how im not even mentioned in the credits for making eppeldorf. :o

We refered to you in the news update about the map, because you placed the statics and built the basic terrain on the map
http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/archives.php?selectedmonth=7&selectedyear=2011

But you didnt "make it". You built the terrain and placed statics. Then Fenring helped out with some of the aesthetics, then I finalized it and worked 3 full weeks on it so it could be in2.45, fixing the game play, bugs, sounds, fx... oh wait I do still have the full list :) We thank you for the contribution, and hope that we also managed to educate you in the difference between placing statics and terrain, and making a full releaseable map :)

This list might even prove helpful to other mappers.
Natty Eppeldorf finalizations
  • Painted all colormaps from scratch. I painted all colormaps + detailmaps in Photoshop
  • Added the SP/coop files from Remick + finalized them so they had proper names in them + added so python worked in those game modes
  • Created the proper envMap file
  •   Had to go through every spawn point on the map, they were a little sloppy placed spawns in bad places, I see when some one has just clicked in editor "create spawnpoint" but not moved them in to proper locations
  • Had to delete Hurtgen Forest bunkers, place new bunkers, adjust terrain so it fitted
  • Had to place many pickup kits
  • Had to reposition alot of vehicles so it is easier for players to drive them out of their spawn place
  • Had to review and update choice and placement of many stationary weapons, mainly AT guns and MGs
  • Made new combat area
  • Made final terrain lightmaps + manually had to paint in photoshop to fix shadows from trench and foxhole skirts
  • Had to reposition a lot of trenches and foxholes that had bugs and were floating
  • Had to create and place posters in the town to make it nicer looking (testers suggestion i.e. Abaddon)
  • Had to follow up numerous bugs posted in the bug tracker forum, not fixed by you.
  • Made proper Ingame map complete with shadows and repositioned flagnames in code so you can read
  • Created snow effects, both static and dynamic. Placed all these
  • Created and placed all ambient sounds
  • Fixed the .desc file properly
  • Added loadscreen music
  • Generated all final Object Lightmaps
  • Fixed trench skirts to have correct materials
  • Had to manually fix shadows in photoshop from trees which were blocky and ugly due to bad tree model
  • Had to fix the roads which again, used white textures, which you cant use in computer games levels.
  • Created and tweaked a proper Groundhemi file
  • Followed up on betatesters gameplay suggestions, as to where cover were needed etc
  • Created Team Spawnpoints and placed all these
  • Had to redesign the "east farm" flag due to spawnkilling and TeamSPs logical flow.
  • Reviewed kits layout and updated based on testing feedback
  • Created Noise file for the color correction
  • Made all lightsettings from scratch to fit the colormaps + snowy ambience
  • added Sounds.con file
  • Fixed buggy and ugly undergrowth
  • Set up the mapdat.py file properly with all needed plugins working
  • Had to fix all the flagnames, you didn't follow the naming conventions, causing potential crashes and conflicts with roads or statics.

More to this, I used my mapper eye and tweaked/fixed numerous small things, which can't be listed, things you need to see as a skilled mapper. For example there were gravestones sloppy placed the same row of 6 gravestones and duplicated.. a 1min job. I repositioned the gravestones more nicely around the church, and added a protective wall where needed.
I removed a red boat which were totally put of place
I removed a trench which Fenring had done which didnt lightmap, and dug a ditch instead
I spiced up the boring white plains with some craters and wrecks
I fixed it so the MG in the foxhole aimed towards allied main could be exited
I made nice spawn areas for soldiers at almost every flag
I wrote the loadscreen text with help from testers
I added the background loadscreen image (image posted by Malsa)

I Probably can list 20 more things.. small things by themselves, but all needed to release a map.

and oh; for 2.45: Made 32 game play with night atmosphere  8)

If you dont have anything to contribute to the topic, then dont post at all. Tooting your own horn with a wall of text like that isnt necessary here. Cheers.
- Flippy
« Last Edit: 24-10-2012, 12:10:35 by Flippy Warbear »

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24-10-2012, 12:10:59 »
Well, guess what. I still Made that map (: Without me, there wouldnt be any Eppeldorf, and you my good man just Took the map and did all that. Thats not how you treat an applicant, you dont take their work and just finish it in your own way. You finished what I started, you didnt make the map, I did.

Now lets get back to this wonderfull suggestion! ;D
« Last Edit: 24-10-2012, 12:10:53 by Sn00x »

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24-10-2012, 12:10:21 »
Nice idea, it could be better if we have static trailers, would add immersion.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24-10-2012, 23:10:02 »
bla bla
You made 60% of it, yes. But failed to finish it in time for the release. (for reference what finished means, consolidate above-mentioned list) So unless we had taken it and finished it, the players would never have seen the slightest wizz of it. For the players a 10% done map is as worth as a 95% done map. Only releasable maps matter, and that's what I did for 3 full weeks in June 2011, for them.

So, you're welcomed. My pleasure, any day.............  ::)

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25-10-2012, 17:10:23 »

Flak 88mm guns could move on such carriages and be stabilized for firing, but I've no idea if they ever came off.

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• Zi's Iz mein Flammenwerfer! And it Werfs Flammen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26-10-2012, 04:10:00 »

Flak 88mm guns could move on such carriages and be stabilized for firing, but I've no idea if they ever came off.

That 88 is most likely fixed onto that trailer. I can't see a way to properly stabilize that gun without bolting it down onto the trailer or creating heavy duty,complex latches to keep it secure and not flying off the trailer from recoil or rough terrain while in transit.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26-10-2012, 10:10:27 »

That 88 is most likely fixed onto that trailer. I can't see a way to properly stabilize that gun without bolting it down onto the trailer or creating heavy duty,complex latches to keep it secure and not flying off the trailer from recoil or rough terrain while in transit.

Never underestimate the power of German ingenuity...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...