Author Topic: Nostalgia  (Read 901 times)

Offline GIJordncc1701d

• View Profile
Nostalgia
« on: 20-01-2017, 05:01:09 »
I got on my computer tonight and got on FH2. I haven't been playing much, because work has been really busy. Working 7 days a week, ~12 hours a day isn't very much fun and most of what I do with my free time is sleep. Maybe part of what happened was my tiredness, maybe it was because of the good music I was listening to......who knows.

I sat there, looking through maps, just looking to go kill some bots with a sniper rifle or take out some tanks. I couldn't decide what to play. I just sat there, and so many memories came back. I've been playing FH2, mostly offline due to bad internet, since about July 2010. I had downloaded FH2 accidentally, along with FH, somehow. I had just gotten better internet (from dial up to something else less crappy; rural Texas doesn't have many options), so me being 16 and bored during the summer, I was downloading mods like mad. I remember going into my BF2 custom games section and seeing it, along with a myriad of other things. I clicked on it, and the game crashed. I found a fix (it was the old hi-res monitor issue) and I was off and loading up the first map I could click on....which was Alam Halfa.

I've always been fascinated with the North African theater. I'm not sure why. I've just always loved it and I probably have half the books published on it. Well, for someone used to rather mediocre WWII games like Call of Duty 2 and the like, FH2 was an amazing miracle, borne from some kind of odd gaming world where historical accuracy mattered and good gameplay came along with it. For some reason I only had North Africa maps on that version, and when I looked on the FH website, I quickly (well, slowly, considering my internet still wasn't fast) downloaded a newer version. I introduced the game to one of my best friends, and we were quickly playing on LAN very often. Most weekends we'd play. It became pretty much the only game either of us played.

In 2012 we graduated high school, I got a new girlfriend that ended up trying to separate me from my friends (that's a long, irrelevant story), and him and I stopped playing. However, FH2 remained one of the most positive things in my life, along with a few other things. Once that was over, and I was in a better place in life, him and I started playing again. It's been five years since we left high school, and seven since we started playing FH2, and we still try to play every Sunday. I'm having to skip this Sunday because of work, and I'm really wishing I didn't have to.

FH2 isn't like any other game I've played. It has that something that other games don't have. It always has, from the first time I played Alam Halfa to the round on Alam Halfa that I ended up playing tonight when I finally decided what to play. FH2 isn't just a game to me. It's an integral part of me, of my life. It's had a very real and measurable effect on my life, and it still does.

People talk on here about FH2 "dying". Yeah, it seems the team is pretty small now, and updates are infrequent. But this game has life. Mine, yours, all of ours. I'll keep coming back to it, even if development stops and the servers are gone and the forums are shut down. I'll always have a computer that can play it. Because it's not just a game, it's a piece of history, and a piece of my personal history.

So cheers to seven years of playing, and many more.

Offline FHMax3

• Gunnery Sargeant
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: 20-01-2017, 08:01:52 »
I got on my computer tonight and got on FH2. I haven't been playing much, because work has been really busy. Working 7 days a week, ~12 hours a day isn't very much fun and most of what I do with my free time is sleep. Maybe part of what happened was my tiredness, maybe it was because of the good music I was listening to......who knows.

I sat there, looking through maps, just looking to go kill some bots with a sniper rifle or take out some tanks. I couldn't decide what to play. I just sat there, and so many memories came back. I've been playing FH2, mostly offline due to bad internet, since about July 2010. I had downloaded FH2 accidentally, along with FH, somehow. I had just gotten better internet (from dial up to something else less crappy; rural Texas doesn't have many options), so me being 16 and bored during the summer, I was downloading mods like mad. I remember going into my BF2 custom games section and seeing it, along with a myriad of other things. I clicked on it, and the game crashed. I found a fix (it was the old hi-res monitor issue) and I was off and loading up the first map I could click on....which was Alam Halfa.

I've always been fascinated with the North African theater. I'm not sure why. I've just always loved it and I probably have half the books published on it. Well, for someone used to rather mediocre WWII games like Call of Duty 2 and the like, FH2 was an amazing miracle, borne from some kind of odd gaming world where historical accuracy mattered and good gameplay came along with it. For some reason I only had North Africa maps on that version, and when I looked on the FH website, I quickly (well, slowly, considering my internet still wasn't fast) downloaded a newer version. I introduced the game to one of my best friends, and we were quickly playing on LAN very often. Most weekends we'd play. It became pretty much the only game either of us played.

In 2012 we graduated high school, I got a new girlfriend that ended up trying to separate me from my friends (that's a long, irrelevant story), and him and I stopped playing. However, FH2 remained one of the most positive things in my life, along with a few other things. Once that was over, and I was in a better place in life, him and I started playing again. It's been five years since we left high school, and seven since we started playing FH2, and we still try to play every Sunday. I'm having to skip this Sunday because of work, and I'm really wishing I didn't have to.

FH2 isn't like any other game I've played. It has that something that other games don't have. It always has, from the first time I played Alam Halfa to the round on Alam Halfa that I ended up playing tonight when I finally decided what to play. FH2 isn't just a game to me. It's an integral part of me, of my life. It's had a very real and measurable effect on my life, and it still does.

People talk on here about FH2 "dying". Yeah, it seems the team is pretty small now, and updates are infrequent. But this game has life. Mine, yours, all of ours. I'll keep coming back to it, even if development stops and the servers are gone and the forums are shut down. I'll always have a computer that can play it. Because it's not just a game, it's a piece of history, and a piece of my personal history.

So cheers to seven years of playing, and many more.
Long live Forgotten Hope!!!!
That other thread failed miserably and if you try to spam or flame here, I will break your arms.
FH2 won't be the last FH. ;)

Offline Oberst_Kroenen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20-01-2017, 14:01:52 »
I know what you are talking about. Its the same for me too. Ive been playing it ever since it had a couple of North Africa maps, thought i stopped at some point and when i came back a couple of years later it had the normandy maps in and the first renders of the eastern front were being revealed. Its true i also play mostly singleplayer but i'm having fun and thats what really matters. Cheers for FH2 and the dev team for their hard work on this great and long lived experience - it means a lot to some of us even if we dont show it all the time!

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20-01-2017, 16:01:07 »
Hey, thanks for sharing your post GIJordncc!

Offline Sgt.Collins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20-01-2017, 17:01:40 »
Yes, FH2 is a game that will always stay a reference where historical accuracy on maps and material go along with good gameplay.

I did do a topic about FH2 losing players, it was just a scream from my heart because I love playing this mod, and dear god, I hope it'll become a real standalone game that deserves more that 60€, more than BF1 which is a bullshit.

I fear the day where there will be only one or two sessions per month or worse, that day when i'll have to find a replacment that have all main theaters of war and material that belong to.

FH2 is great, really great, really really great. Sadly BF2 engine is getting to get me frustrated, flipping tanks, view distance, graphics, sound engine... But nevertheless i have fun.

Can't wait to see the content and changes of the next update.

Long live FH2, and the never forgotten hope of playing it for years again!
« Last Edit: 20-01-2017, 17:01:39 by Sgt.Collins »