Author Topic: TEAMWORK - And why it actually works.  (Read 14587 times)

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
Re: TEAMWORK - And why it actually works.
« Reply #15 on: 11-12-2013, 13:12:10 »
I am totally agreeing with djinn. And I also did like to play that way, atm I rarely play public. But atleast from my point of view his analysis and playstyle works fine. It also reminded me of one post I did some years ago, which I just wanted to quote here.

The real guidiance of the public crowd on a server is done by this 1 or 2 dedicated squads, which cap the flags. The majority of players on every map - even if they are in squads - want to spawn where the action is. And this is what they do. So if one of the teamplaying squad caps a flag, stays there and defend it for a second, some of the crowd will spawn in there and set up a kind of "defense", just because this flag is close to the frontline.  "Defense" means that these guys spawning in on the flag move for the most obvious direction, where the part of the other teams "headless" crowd comes from. This happens until the 1 dedicated squads has capped the next flags and has guided the crowd to spawn at the front.
This is what we call gameplay and what the mappers did and thought about.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12-12-2013, 09:12:41 »
 Good squad leaders in FH2 are few and far between but there are a few:

- Sgt.Steiner-I Cross
- IrishReloaded
- djinn
- [762] Sandre
- Boo(RUS)
- 5hitm4k3r666

My Top 10 Good Team Players

- Christie Front Drive
- 15Roughbeak15
- [Rage] F4lloutboy
- Granmaestrodemus
- =OST=_M00SE
- Matt_Baker1942
- 69rat
- Dynamite_Brass
- Kelmola
- -=TB=-Bubbles

Good 10 man squads on 762 are game changing.

The teamwork on 762 is way better than the tournaments due to less red tape & better leadership.

So all you new players, if you see a squad being lead by any listed above or myself $talkker, i recommend joining, listening and learning.

;)

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12-12-2013, 15:12:19 »
I appreciate the compliments Jimi.

I would agree with the above post, game changing squad leaders.

« Last Edit: 12-12-2013, 15:12:44 by Roughbeak »

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31-12-2013, 00:12:18 »
Not necessary team-work per se, but one man in the right place can have great influence on the success of his team(mates). Therefore, don't be afraid to take some of the "boring" jobs such as arty/recon/AA or even supply and support. Even a well placed Laffete/tripod can be enough to cut off a whole path of advance from the enemy on some push maps.

Just finished a really great round of El Alamein where Allies were losing until 150 or so tickets and then the tables turned around and we held the ridges, winning by some 40 tickets in the end. I didn't do a lot kill-wise, but I provided spotting assistance and helped in capping flags. Of course the success wouldn't have been possible if some teamwork-minded soul didn't keep resupplying the Bishops so they could keep pounding the Germans into submission.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Damaso

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31-12-2013, 03:12:38 »
Hmm.. interesting....  ;D

Usualy, i started to open teamwork squads during FH2 - 128 players games, and it really feels good to play with them... we used to hold lines in Purple Hearth map, to make massive mining across an entire flank in Fall of Tobruk and EVEN to make bajonet charges in Siege of Giarabub!

Well, its not much about wining or losing the game... but everywone seems to have lots of fun wen playing on my squad, and it seems like i created someking of an "Fanbase", wich joins my squad everytime it gets up... and thats great! :)

Some prints related to it:

We were swiming our way out to the enemy wadi outpost, wich was being impossible to get captured!

Our Teamwork squad usualy isnt one of the "best" ones in ranking... hoewer, this time we were the best, AND looks like the other team also decided to make an Teamwork squad exacly like mine (and yeah, some of their members are usual squadmates of my Teamwork squad)

And here we decided to take ALL of the german tanks... guess what we did? everywone lined up their tanks across the railroad, and AT THE SAME TIME, we maked our great machinery trespass the railroad, and go straigth to all the sherman tanks than were hanging around there (the allied tanks got slaugthered there)

Good squad leaders in FH2 are few and far between but there are a few:

- Sgt.Steiner-I Cross
- IrishReloaded
- djinn
- [762] Sandre
- Boo(RUS)
- 5hitm4k3r666

My Top 10 Good Team Players

- Christie Front Drive
- 15Roughbeak15
- [Rage] F4lloutboy
- Granmaestrodemus
- =OST=_M00SE
- Matt_Baker1942
- 69rat
- Dynamite_Brass
- Kelmola
- -=TB=-Bubbles

Does my name deserve any place over the Squadleaders ranking?  8)
« Last Edit: 31-12-2013, 03:12:03 by Damaso »

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31-12-2013, 03:12:29 »
Does my name deserve any place over the Squadleaders ranking?  8)

I dont recall playing in your squad, but the next time i see your squad, ill join.

I shall revise my list early next year!

;)

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31-12-2013, 03:12:35 »
Damaso's squad is a lot of fun. The only thing we need to work on is getting from Point A to Point B faster.. we played Goodwood today and it took like 100 tickets to get from our main to Grentheville because too many people were playing with themselves instead of regrouping :D.

It usually works good in Teamwork squads though, one of the few that don't have 3 people following SL and 6 people off doing their own thing.
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31-12-2013, 06:12:57 »
Oh yeah, I remeber Damaso's squad. Some time ago, I was on his squad in El Alamien, and we assaulted the big ridge in two trucks, I even shot down a stuka.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31-12-2013, 14:12:17 »
The question is not whether you make stuff that feels like teamwork and seems to be cool, but whether it actually works in a practical way. I've joined Damaso's squad recently on St. Vith and it was just not my cup of tea. He desperately tried to attack Rosenhugels over the open field though a tank was spoted on the flag and could take out every advancing infantry group with ease. I was not part of the advance luckily but I could tell what was going on just from a rough look at the minimap and Rosenhugels was not captured one single time. I gave him the advice to attack from somewhere else, because we had capped Trainstation and the Bridge. Once Damaso learns to get an eye for the essential stuff - and I think he will do so - I will join his squads more from time to time. But atm I still prefere others, like Band[Nor], MajorIIKoenig, Sgt. Steiner, Johonas, x4fun Odium and some other really good people. Sorry if I forgot to mention someone who deserves to be on that list. There are other good teamplayers like F4lloutboy, Gotkai, Sandre, Schlomo, Slayer, Syrkris, Gloeckner or Boo - just people that you rather have in your than in the enemy team.

The tank assault shows the same problem as on St. Vith. Grenteville is greyed out, there is nobody of your team and you go for Le Mesnit with all available tank power - a flag that will be locked in a few seconds. You need to attack on the shortest route possible to save time and tickets and gain an tactical advantage, so basicaly what Christie mentioned. Then you will succeed. When you cap Grenteville you prevent the enemy from locking up your base, you gain more available spawns and an additional piece of artillery. After you have capped Grenteville and cleaned it (really important part while caping a flag!) you could have split up the squad and go with the strongest tanks for Le Mesnit and cover your rear and flanks with a StuG, Marder and the PIV. But on that screenshot nobody of your team seemed to care about that flag anyway, so I don't wonder why you lost almost the complete map within that small amount of tickets. But yeah, the tank assault looks cool on the minimap.

Besides all the critics, and I know I can be harsh and nitpicking - I wish you the best while trying to improve Damaso. We need more people like you, who emphasize on Teamwork. Keep it up ;)
« Last Edit: 31-12-2013, 14:12:55 by 5hitm4k3r »

Offline Damaso

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31-12-2013, 14:12:52 »
Wow! i wasnt expecting this reaction  :o i tough you guys would be like: "ah shut up, your squad sucks cus you always die during an charge, ect..." but looks like you actually enjoy it! :D

The question is not whether you make stuff that feels like teamwork and seems to be cool, but whether it actually works in a practical way. I've joined Damaso's squad recently on St. Vith and it was just not my cup of tea. He desperately tried to attack Rosenhugels over the open field though a tank was spoted on the flag and could take out every advancing infantry group with ease. I was not part of the advance luckily but I could tell what was going on just from a rough look at the minimap and Rosenhugels was not captured one single time. I gave him the advice to attack from somewhere else, because we had capped Trainstation and the Bridge. Once Damaso learns to get an eye for the essential stuff - and I think he will do so - I will join his squads more from time to time. But atm I still prefere others, like Band[Nor], MajorIIKoenig, Sgt. Steiner, Johonas, x4fun Odium and some other really good people. Sorry if I forgot to mention someone who deserves to be on that list. There are other good teamplayers like F4lloutboy, Gotkai, Sandre, Schlomo, Slayer, Syrkris, Gloeckner or Boo - just people that you rather have in your than in the enemy team.

The tank assault shows the same problem as on St. Vith. Grenteville is greyed out, there is nobody of your team and you go for Le Mesnit with all available tank power - a flag that will be locked in a few seconds. You need to attack on the shortest route possible to save time and tickets and gain an tactical advantage, so basicaly what Christie mentioned. Then you will succeed. When you cap Grenteville you prevent the enemy from locking up your base, you gain more available spawns and an additional piece of artillery. After you have capped Grenteville and cleaned it (really important part while caping a flag!) you could have split up the squad and go with the strongest tanks for Le Mesnit and cover your rear and flanks with a StuG, Marder and the PIV. But on that screenshot nobody of your team seemed to care about that flag anyway, so I don't wonder why you lost almost the complete map within that small amount of tickets. But yeah, the tank assault looks cool on the minimap.

Besides all the critics, and I know I can be harsh and nitpicking - I wish you the best while trying to improve Damaso. We need more people like you, who emphasize on Teamwork. Keep it up ;)

Yeah, we still need to work on that "lets play serious now!" part with the squad... and btw: we were already moving to the mesnit flag on that Goodwood map, but then we saw the flag getting capped: we advanced anyway, and then we made that "everywone jumping out of the railroad at the same time with armors", and rushed to Gretenvile from the back!

You can calculate what happened to the allies stationed there, they werent expecting an entire armored division to jump off across the railroad, and so they got slaugthered, and then we moved from gretenvile from beind - in 20 seconds the flag was captured with all the armors at the mainstreet

The only problem was than there was 1 guy who started to bitch about tanks not going to were he would like them to come, and so he started to CAPS LOOCK how the entire squad should be kicked because they were disturping the gameplay by taking all armorus - come on! we waited for those tanks, and we arent disrespecting anywone! what we do with them its only our bussiness, but bitching because you want a tank and there is always a guy first to taking it for teamwork pruposes aint gonna make things better..

Anyway, thanks for the advices everywone, i will try to make some serious blitz over enemy flags more often ;)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02-01-2014, 16:01:51 »
Damaso, I think the main "problem" (can I call it that way?  :P) is that you play this game at a way slower pace than it's actually needed to win many maps. FH2 is fast paced, brutal and you have to be very good at "thinking on the move", you have to constantly keep the pressure when on attack (because the bleed makes you lose otherwise), and manouver often on defense to keep the other team from wiping you out with arty.

Your leading style is currently more suited to the likes of PR. I would love to see a slowed down version of FH2 because I enjoy slow, tactical gameplay once in a while, but it's just not going to happen. I guess we'll have to wait until PR:WWII for that, and in the meantime, enjoy the best of fast-paced-every-second-counts-slaugtherfest of FH2.  ;)

The best way would be to learn the strategy for each map (while the world of FH2 is quite chaotic there are some "patterns" that keep repeating every time a specific map is played), learn the best hiding spots for a SL (hiding as a SL is very important in FH2) and also, don't be afraid to improvise.

I remember an awesome and very close round of Brest where Sandre sneaked in a squad to the docks before Ruins were capped. This enabled the Americans to pincer the remaining Germans and avoided the fragfest of the last flag. It's that kind of bold moves that win rounds for your team!
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Damaso

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03-01-2014, 03:01:00 »
Damaso, I think the main "problem" (can I call it that way?  :P) is that you play this game at a way slower pace than it's actually needed to win many maps. FH2 is fast paced, brutal and you have to be very good at "thinking on the move", you have to constantly keep the pressure when on attack (because the bleed makes you lose otherwise), and manouver often on defense to keep the other team from wiping you out with arty.

Your leading style is currently more suited to the likes of PR. I would love to see a slowed down version of FH2 because I enjoy slow, tactical gameplay once in a while, but it's just not going to happen. I guess we'll have to wait until PR:WWII for that, and in the meantime, enjoy the best of fast-paced-every-second-counts-slaugtherfest of FH2.  ;)

The best way would be to learn the strategy for each map (while the world of FH2 is quite chaotic there are some "patterns" that keep repeating every time a specific map is played), learn the best hiding spots for a SL (hiding as a SL is very important in FH2) and also, don't be afraid to improvise.

I remember an awesome and very close round of Brest where Sandre sneaked in a squad to the docks before Ruins were capped. This enabled the Americans to pincer the remaining Germans and avoided the fragfest of the last flag. It's that kind of bold moves that win rounds for your team!

Yeah, but PR lags like hell for me, and they all start to bitch against you if you lead your comrades the bad way (by that i mean atacking position B, but other squadleaders want you to go C for some reason, and so they all start to bitch and ban you for not following order - even if you are an squad leader) :-[

Anyway, i developed an new tactic wile in a Teamwork squad: we were playing in one of those new maps "Endebourg Rigde" or something like that, and its an VERY LARGE MAP in wich i personaly enjoy! :D

Basicaly, we were hanging around the map, blitzkrieg to an flag, and then leave it and go another flag (no defenses, no engagements - only flag capping ALL across the map)

And i also developed some "magic words" - by that i mean than i "teach" my squad an word, and they do it.. for example: wen we move on infantry, i say "conwoy", and everywone makes an good infantry conwoy with no problems (10 people following each other  ;D, and yeah, i kinda "trained" them before in previous battles on non-figthing positions)

I would also like to ask if its possible to add more tickets to the maps? because they finish too damn fast... i mean, we would need at least like 1500 tickes (i hope thats not too much?)  in some maps, due to the slaugthering, and big maps who take too much to travel around for flags (yeah: wen you reach the other side of the map, game finishes due to low tickets, gg everywone)

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03-01-2014, 05:01:35 »
an infantry "conwoy" will get the entire squad killed if ambushed with 2 jerries with an MG42 and rifle.

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03-01-2014, 05:01:13 »
I've been in Damaso's squad a lot in the past week or so, taking a break from my usual method of kamikaze/headless chicken attacking in other squads.

There are a lot of enjoyable aspects to teamwork squads but I agree with those saying the pace is a bit slow. This is not always a bad thing, but we do need to remember that tickets are the same (on 762 #4) when there are 25 people on the server as they are with 125, and some maps naturally go by fast anyway. On that server the ticket ratios are set as if there were roughly 50 people on each team: this means a map of 25 vs. 25 provides way more chances for repeated attacks due to a longer round than when there are double the players. A couple minutes here and there reorganizing our attack is fine when the map lasts 75 minutes, less so when the map lasts 25.

I personally don't mind long hikes through the trees to attack from the rear of a flag, and there are a growing number of other players who are becoming regulars in Damaso's squad who don't mind either. Nevertheless, I do feel we need to up the pace a bit. Like LuckyOne said, it feels very much like a PR squad, and that's good in every single way except the time it takes to engage. Damaso does an excellent job keeping his squad together, but just as a friendly suggestion there are times where six guys are waiting for one other guy halfway across the map and it might be better for the sake of everyone's patience to get the show on the road.

Having said that, it should be noted Damaso and the regulars in the teamwork squad have the right attitude. Welcoming to all new players and not offended if the slower pace is not to someone's taste, because it won't be to everyone's liking. Confident but not bossy, everyone has a job but no one's a cunt to each other when someone cocks up like you see in other squads from time to time. No complaints, really. There are a couple bugs to work out but it's a damn sight better than most squads and as long as we can pick up the pace just a bit it should be good fun for the foreseeable future.

Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03-01-2014, 06:01:53 »
 Being a SL takes allot of practice & your not always going to win.

Here are a few other tips:

Listen to your squads suggestions & improvise tactics accordingly

Flanking is your best friend.  Whenever i decide on a flag to attack, 98% of the time i will NOT take a direct approach

Having your squad go M.O.B.I.L.E. is a HUGE advantage

Link up with another squad for LARGER attacks

Basically all of djinn points in the 1st post and a dash here and there of other tips in this thread needs to be
put together in a FH2 Squad Leaders Guide or something & E-mailed to all the community.....

..... wonder if teamwork on the servers would go through the roof?

8)

« Last Edit: 03-01-2014, 08:01:12 by Jimi Hendrix »