Author Topic: sdkfz251 fortress  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
Re: sdkfz251 fortress
« Reply #30 on: 06-01-2010, 02:01:59 »
Just close the windows and don't stop and sit in an area populated by enemy infantry. It's very hard to angle a shot to kill the driver while the halftrack is moving and impossible to shoot through the lowered vision slits.

It is very possible to shoot through the lowered vision slits.  You just have to memorize where the driver's head is, since you can't see it.
Hm, didn't know that. I assumed they stopped the bullets. Anyways, I guess most people make that assumption since I've never been shot at while they were closed, so you're still pretty safe.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06-01-2010, 02:01:25 »
MIght want to learn your history, hanomags didn't get closed tops, only a couple very rare commander ones that were hated by their crews for the impossibilty to stand.

Also, the windows DO stop bullets, but there are still small slits that can be shot through. 

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06-01-2010, 03:01:38 »
what about the hmm what you call it.. tarp? no.. like the one in bf42 its not a "closed" top just a .. tarp? and some bowed metal

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06-01-2010, 04:01:13 »
Tarp was used, but it wouldn't be on in combat, and it wouldn't be bullet proof...its just a tarp.

Offline bmwr12

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06-01-2010, 04:01:22 »
It is very possible to shoot through the lowered vision slits.  You just have to memorize where the driver's head is, since you can't see it.

This would be all but impossible in real life. You would need AP ammo at the least and a one in a million shot. There should be vision ports in the front and a slit on the sides. The front ones have a sheet of Panzer Glass (bullet proof) as it is called. The glass would have been down even if the ports were open. If traveling in the combat zone the vision ports would be shut and there would have been no penetration except for maybe a .50cal. The openings are very small and the 251 series are incredibliy hard to see in and drive even with the ports open,you need to rely on the rest of the crew as the driver.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06-01-2010, 04:01:19 »
In game right now, you can spray at the view ports and kill the driver.  Works best with BARs and SMGs, but I have shot the driver out of a hanomag with a single lucky Garand round while the hatches were closed.

If it's not historically correct, perhaps it should go into a bug report?  By the way, I brought it up before, but a Dev (or a Betatester) claimed it was intentional for the lowered hatches to not protect the driver 100%.
« Last Edit: 06-01-2010, 04:01:25 by Ionizer »

Offline naoko

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 06-01-2010, 16:01:51 »
yep! we just wait the FH2 team approve this idea and create that ::)

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06-01-2010, 16:01:41 »
what about the hmm what you call it.. tarp? no.. like the one in bf42 its not a "closed" top just a .. tarp? and some bowed metal

Re-skin for Anctoville? If not in this version, then in 2.3? would also help when it's snowing/blizzard.
I'd rather play Kimble with my ass!

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 06-01-2010, 18:01:57 »
But would be completly and utterly tactically unsound for how they used hanomags in combat, so they wouldn't just randomly have it up cuz its raining...survival takes precedence over comfort ::)

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06-01-2010, 19:01:01 »
agreed with mudra, besides.. the 251 looks more badass without it  ;D

Offline 9.Pz-Div. Günther

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 06-01-2010, 20:01:16 »

But honestly I'd prefer to see closed Hanomags. I'm getting tired of getting shot from the top, just when you *thought* you were safe in armour. Horrible!

Would you prefer a single piece of cloth added? Like if that changed things...

It's like popping smoke. You can't shoot what you can't see. It would seriously refrain people from shooting me since they CAN'T see me. And ofcourse I hope they make the cloth bulletproof like in vanilla BF1942.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 06-01-2010, 20:01:41 »

But honestly I'd prefer to see closed Hanomags. I'm getting tired of getting shot from the top, just when you *thought* you were safe in armour. Horrible!

It's like popping smoke. You can't shoot what you can't see. It would seriously refrain people from shooting me since they CAN'T see me. And ofcourse I hope they make the cloth bulletproof like in vanilla BF1942.
So now the cloth that wasn't even used should be bulletproof? Really?
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 06-01-2010, 20:01:41 »
Shooting from moving Hanomags as passenger?
HELL YES!
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Mazz

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06-01-2010, 20:01:09 »

See, with rifle grenades, seeing you isn't so much a priority.
Michael Wittmann's gunner, Bobby Woll, was known to be an excellent Marksman.
He could hit targets at range even on the move.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 06-01-2010, 22:01:02 »

So now the cloth that wasn't even used should be bulletproof? Really?

Yep, apparently he wants an unused cloth tarp to be bulletproof  ::)  Of course this completly derails the point of the thread, which is to add the historical fact of them using the hanomags as fighting vehicles, unlike the allies who merely used them as transportation, and rarely in actual frontline combat....