Author Topic: Battlefield V  (Read 12709 times)

Offline Mr.ThunderMan

• View Profile
Re: Battlefield V
« Reply #60 on: 28-06-2018, 00:06:08 »
I may absolutely loathe the direction of BFV, but I ain't gonna turn down an unsolicited free code to a closed alpha test!  :P

Huh, got an invitation too. I guess because of Bf1 premium.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 31-08-2018, 00:08:18 »
Well, well looks like EA decided to "delay" their next Battlefield:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/30/17799546/battlefield-5-delayed-release-date-november

Whether the reason is bad original release date timing or player backlash remains to be seen...  ::)
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 31-08-2018, 00:08:00 »
Some are speculating that they’re doing this so they can have a release with things like vehicle customization (which was previously said wouldn’t be in the initial release). If that’s the case I agree with them trying to make the game polished and have all features for opening day. If it’s just to not compete with Red Dead and Black Ops then that’s dumb and won’t matter much in the long run imo

I also get the feeling there are coders working for DICE who are shitting their pants a little trying to figure out dragging bodies. :D It was something that was mentioned during the reveal and got people hyped but we haven’t seen anything about it since. I feel like behind closed doors it’s super complex and I wouldn’t be surprised if it just wasn’t in the game come launch. :P

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 31-08-2018, 08:08:58 »
Whether the reason is bad original release date timing or player backlash remains to be seen...  ::)

What I just do not understand at all is why they do not simply add an option 'authentic skins only' that disables woman characters and ridiculous customization for everyone who wants a more immersive experience. It would be such an easy solution to this problem. Both sides would be happy this way.

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 31-08-2018, 10:08:26 »
Excellent idea, WoT has something like that if you don't want to see pink KV-2s or "Gamescom 2018" camouflaged T-54s. If you can implement choice without impeding the experience of the other players, you should be doing so, especially if you're just trying to sell your game instead of teaching everyone a lesson.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 05-09-2018, 16:09:23 »
So BFV will have 8 maps at launch. And I think the Grand Operations mode spans across 2 maps at a time, so from my guessing;

Arctic Fjord (Narvik in the beta) + some other Norwegian snow map (parts were shown in the latest trailer)
Rotterdam (in the beta) + Devastation (basically another part of Rotterdam but destroyed that was also shown in the trailers)
Twisted Steel (the Escault River map from the reveal trailer) + another Belgian map (the one in the latest trailer with the yellow fields)
Hamada (a North Africa map shown in the latest trailer) + some other North Africa map (I think parts have been shown in a trailer)

So the 8 maps will most likely only span from 1940-1941. With "Fall of Europe" and "Greece" as confirmed "Tides of War" after launch. I wonder if each "Tide of War" will release 2 new maps (aka 1 new Grand Operation).

It makes me wonder how many maps they plan on having all together. 8 maps for an arguably lesser known part of the war seems like a lot. You'd think they'd release at least that many maps for things like the Pacific, the East Front, NW Europe post D-Day etc... plus more to cover North Africa & Italy. BF1 had 29 maps so I wonder what they plan on doing with BFV.

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 05-09-2018, 19:09:27 »
I don't think they'll go for the more well-known parts of the conflict (Pacific like the islands campaign, Eastern Front like Kursk or Europe like D-Day) but stick to the untold stories instead. So things like the fall of the British colonies in Asia, the Soviet-Japanese war or the US/UK landings in Africa, Italy or South France. Those could do with 2-4 maps each.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 05-09-2018, 19:09:21 »
That's interesting, so you don't think they'll do Omaha Beach or Stalingrad at all?

I'd half respect a game for doing that if they actually stuck to history and covered lesser known battles properly. But for a game that's trying to appeal to a mass audience, it would be a really bad marketing strategy to leave out the 'iconic' WW2 battles.

'Movie' type maps that are already ingrained into WW2 pop-culture is a huge selling point for your average gamer.

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 05-09-2018, 23:09:52 »
Well they did so too in Battlefield 1, in which mostly lesser-known fronts like Italy, Africa and the Russian civil war were depicted. I think it was their goal in BFV as well to focus on all the yet-unexplored stuff, which is why we are starting with Norwegian and Dutch maps.

Like with BF1 they might eventually throw in a couple of 'Saving Private Ryan' maps (Passchendaele, Somme and Verdun in BF1), but I think the majority of the maps will continue to explore the forgotten battles.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 05-09-2018, 23:09:28 »
Well for BFV they seem to be going chronologically (at least based on the maps we've seen and the Tides of War names). So I expect to see those more 'iconic' battles show up when Tides of War gets to them. It would be insane to skip them.

I just wonder how many maps overall. It seems logical that they would release maps in pairs for their Grand Operations ideas, so if they get up to almost 40 maps for a $60ish game, then that might be a good deal.

I wish they would give a roadmap, but that would require them to make a promise to the players :P

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 06-09-2018, 05:09:11 »
IIRC one of the dev did said something that seem  to let the door open for more known map like D-Day and stalingrad ;)

https://www.game-debate.com/blog/images/_id1527257494_343178.jpg
« Last Edit: 06-09-2018, 05:09:39 by Alakazou »

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 06-09-2018, 16:09:17 »
Played the beta for a bit. Visually stunning while the sound- and destruction design still seems incomplete. Can't hear footstepts and tanks can't crush cars, etc. While Rotterdam map looks amazing, it lacks atmosphere. There's no chaos, no 'war'. Feels like a paintball match. Customization/unlocks/progression system is trash. Faction distinction is terrible because of the weird soldier customizations and mostly I end up just shooting everyone who doesn't have a clue icon above him. The attrition (low ammo) is currently way overdone (you spawn with only 60 rounds for STG-44 for example). Gunplay is kinda okay, tank vs tank combat is just lame, planes are terrible.

The game has potential but honestly this doesn't look anywhere near being done (talking like 4-5 months of work here). This feels like an early alpha build to me. If they release in november it will be a fiasco.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 06-09-2018, 21:09:52 »
How have they managed to fuck this up so badly? How do I even begin...

They can't get ragdolls right apparently because I've seen so many glitchy bodies, some of them not even on the ground but stuck mid air. Sounds are garbage, I can't even tell there's a war on it's so quiet.

The scarcity of ammo is kind of nice if not for the interactable stacks you need to top off at every so often. Those are going to get camped so hard.

It's obviously not meant for my now low end system and poor monitor, the colors are all over the damn place, Rotterdam is so bright it reminds me of an acid trip.

So much recycling. Animations, buildings, UI. Whatever they have new on that front is pretty rough, UI is confusing as all hell it took me a while to find the old fashioned server browser.

Forced to be in a squad when you join. I don't think you can even leave it, you can bounce between and maybe start a new one but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. And of course you can spawn on anyone in your squad.

Spotting seems different. No more spamming Q. Good, bad, I don't know. I mean they're adding some nice features but... they can't shine. Not yet. Maybe a year from now. Holy shit. I can't even open a door. I have no choice but to bust through rather than quietly giving it a push.

Time to kill is interesting. Snipers kind of suck unless you're great at it, which is good I guess? Support has LMGs and shotguns, as it should be. Assaults aren't forced to have automatic weapon loadouts they can also use semi auto rifles it seems, same with Medic.

Someone told me that the suppression would blur the screen to a great degree, no. Once again I care little about how dangerous being in the open is, I feel that there's no consequence of dying whatsoever.

Unless my mind is changed I'll only get it if it's on sale, over a year from now when I can run it better.

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 06-09-2018, 23:09:24 »
Just like BF1 the server browser is completely FUBAR. Filters don't work properly, the browser isn't up to date at all (shows empty spots and when you join you suddenly become 8th in line). It's a mess. I can't believe it's 2018 and they can't even properly implement a server browser.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 07-09-2018, 07:09:02 »
To add to that controversy regarding women being overly portrayed - they've asians fighting for the Allies. In a time period where America, being racist shitheads back then and fearing collaborators should the coast be invaded, bagged and tagged over 100,000 Japanese-Americans and migrants and sent them to camps or relocated them further east. Even the politicians at the time flat out said they didn't like or want them. It happened not only there but Canada too, and elsewhere. But no, that's a shame that is being swept under the rug because the developers think it's minor and not at all important.

I really want to give the game a chance because there's few things I like, but it fails so hard. They expect a release date by late November? Impossible. I had to stop playing earlier because I glitched so hard that I was revived, only it turns out the game was slow in determining that I shouldn't have been (critical death, think of a double tap) allowed to be, killed me after I walked a few steps, and then I couldn't spawn again, stuck at the map overview. Not only that but many of the icons were lost, grayed out or blank, the exception being allied soldiers.

It's so physical. Going prone feels like I'm slow, heavy, weighed down with gear and everything. But the deaths are out of control, for perspective even BF2/FH2 does it better. Hell even BF1942 does it better, it's broken as all hell.

I feel like some of the combat is at longer ranges than in BF1 or BF4, and it's good, it's nice. Setting up a machine gun on the 3rd floor of building and firing down at a dozen guys slowly crossing a bridge, great. The maps aren't necessarily bigger, but it feels like there's way more angles to fight from. That said, I think there were a lot of areas that weren't meant to be accessible but you could glitch your way to them one way or another.

Back to squads, yes apparently it does seem you have no choice but to be in one. You can make a new squad if there's space for it and set it to private, you can bet there'll be a lot of people doing that. But in addition your squad leaders can actually be demoted for not giving orders. If you request orders, and they don't set a new target, a new leader will be set. Or so it seems. But also you can get a squad leader radio, call in V-1 strikes, air drops, etc, if you have enough points for it.

Lots of recycled material. I've been in houses that are pulled straight from BFBC2. I just don't know yet, it's got something to it that's calling me back, but it's so rough that I don't have much hope for it. Has DICE put together their most bold, untried features imaginable to see if it's popular or not, is this game a sacrifice for them to learn from, I don't know? It wants you to hate it! I got killed by a tank because it was invisible - only the mid air floating passengers and the vehicle hit score let me know it was there. And there have been games where I only ever spawn with a pistol. It's garbage. Full release in two and half months? Yeah right.
« Last Edit: 07-09-2018, 10:09:50 by Korsakov829 »