Author Topic: What do you wanna see in the upcoming eastfront?  (Read 111383 times)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you wanna see in the upcoming eastfront?
« Reply #930 on: 21-06-2012, 02:06:04 »
Ok, thanks - didn't expect that answer had already appeared on this page...  :P

But Wikipedia claims that it was the biggest tank battle until Kursk:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Brody_%281941%29

I would say no.  The problem there, is it is saying Kursk was one battle, like the battle of Brody.  But, Kursk wasn't one battle, it was a massive campaign fought over months and over hundreds of miles of frontier across an entire front.  Saying "Kursk" was one battle is like saying that "Normandy", or "Africa" was one battle.

Also, def the campaign that killed the German army in the Ostfront, eliminating it as a fighting force capable of major resistance, was Bagration.  After that, it was just a matter of pushing forward.

EDIT: 

Kursk
    Kutuzov
    Prokhorovka
    Polkovodets Rumyantsev
    Belgorod
    4th Kharkov
    Belgorod-Khar'kov Offensive Operation

Those that battles that Wikipedia lists as parts of the Kursk campaign.  So basically, whoever wrote the entry for Brody needs some help defining the difference between a campaign, and a battle.
« Last Edit: 21-06-2012, 02:06:26 by VonMudra »

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: 21-06-2012, 02:06:44 »
so... was the Battle of Brody the largest tank battle in history?  I'm a bit confuzzled.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: 21-06-2012, 04:06:27 »
Yes, it was.

0utlaw

« Reply #933 on: 21-06-2012, 20:06:31 »
the complete removal of spotting the enemy on the minimap for fh2 entirely. i truly miss the good ol' days of bf42/dc/fh1 where you could not see the enemy on the minimap, it had to be visual. each new battlefield game lately feels as if they keep on adding minimap hacks to see the enemy better, bf3 even has a 3d spot map where u dont even need your minimap like bf2. this will force better communication, better situational awareness, and brings back a little more stealth to the game.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: 21-06-2012, 20:06:03 »
the complete removal of spotting the enemy on the minimap for fh2 entirely. i truly miss the good ol' days of bf42/dc/fh1 where you could not see the enemy on the minimap, it had to be visual. each new battlefield game lately feels as if they keep on adding minimap hacks to see the enemy better, bf3 even has a 3d spot map where u dont even need your minimap like bf2. this will force better communication, better situational awareness, and brings back a little more stealth to the game.

Spotting is already limited to scouts/NCOs/vehicles... I hardly ever see infantry icons appear on my minimap, tanks sometimes, halftracks sometimes, airplanes often... I don't see how this would add more to the game unless we get Mumble/3D voip... it's already idiotic enough that you can't talk to the guy sitting in your car 1 m next to you unless you're both in the same squad...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

0utlaw

« Reply #935 on: 21-06-2012, 20:06:00 »
well you have never played with me then, i spot everything, so do some others. although i utilize this to its extreme, i honestly never liked it much and always felt like an ingame map hack, bf2 in general that is.
also, i dont recall mumble or any other 3d voip for bf42, yet it still worked fine. its called awareness to your surroundings and what is happening on the battlefield. there are other ways to communicate besides mumble (bf2 voip,markers, typing etc).  but having enemy targets and their movement on the minimap always felt bleh to me i guess. commander<->squadleaders<->squadmembers all can communicate using a chain of communication on bf2 voip. squadmembers feed intel to squadleader, squadleader feeds intel to command, command feed intel to all or any select squadleaders, squadleaders then feed intel back to the squad. its really not difficult, just takes more teamwork imo.

:-\
« Last Edit: 21-06-2012, 21:06:13 by 0utlaw »

Offline chad509

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: 22-06-2012, 07:06:50 »
I wanna see sexy weapon animation!!  ;)

Offline pizzzaman

• Test Map De-coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: 22-06-2012, 21:06:49 »
I wanna see sexy weapon animation!!  ;)

But who'll make those animations?  :D
« Last Edit: 23-10-2012, 23:10:27 by pizzzaman12 »
You are bathing in misery and hope, waiting for someone to come and pull the plug.

Offline CAREER OF EVIL

• STEAM ...CAREEREVIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: 22-06-2012, 23:06:34 »
HI... i just started..
 As i see all the maps in FH2 are great..
 just make it as real as you can. the way the war really was.
 im in to the AXIS tanks . i need lots tanks to shoot at !!
 AXIS tanks had TEAM SPEAK lol

have fun i know i will

CAREEREVIL

Offline Uberplatypus

• "The machine gun is a much overrated weapon."
    • View Profile
Map ideas for Der Ostfront
« Reply #939 on: 24-06-2012, 07:06:17 »
Ok, here are some ideas I have for maps that might be interesting.

#1 - Korsun - Cherkassy Pocket (Korsun Pocket for short)  January - February 1944

The battle was fought when two Soviet armies surrounded part of German Army Group South near the Dnieper River in the Ukraine. The Soviets began pushing to eradicate the pocket. I think this would work a bit like Bastogne, where the Germans are surrounded and the Russkies have to take all the capture points. It was named for the town of Korsun which was in the center, so you could put in some village bits as well as open plains. The weather was horrible, practical blizzards and lots of mud, so you would need to include that. Lots of tanks, no planes (due to weather). From the photos I looked at the landscape was ripped to shreds, lots of shell holes, tank wrecks, general clutter/destruction.

#2 - Dukla Pass OR Hill 534 (Dukla sounds cooler  :)))

According to Wikipedia, the "bitterly contested" battle for Hill 534 near the village of Dukla in September 1944. Although Germans were already close to/on the ridge in reality when it started, it may be more intersting gameplay wise to have both armies start on opposide sides of the ridge and have to climb it and fight for the summit. Photos have the top looking pretty forested while the sides are barren. Maybe some trenches or a supply depot on top to make things more interesting. Weather would be pretty normal, probably overcast.

#3 Berlin

if you want to do a good urban map, Berlin is always an idea. It probably sounds cliched and overused by now, but what other big cities were there on the Eastern Front in 1944/45? Just make it good and unique like you guys always do! Absolute devastation! Maybe have it centered around the final fight for the Reichstag. I just feel that we need a map to put PPSH to good use   ;D.

Anyway, those are just some of my ideas. I have many more and could write for another hour but after all it's not up to me. That's just my two cents. Keep up the good work guys!
Crashing full APC's since 1942.

Offline Akersorken

• View Profile
« Reply #940 on: 24-06-2012, 13:06:49 »
Tank Battle at Radzymin-Wolomin near Warsaw beginning of august 1944, where the germans finally stopped the russian onslaught northeast of Warsaw and pretty much crushed the soviet 3rd tank corps, would be great tank map with all the big toys of both sides, Tigers did not take part though afaik.

Berlin...oh please...let's have something new, Königsberg or Danzig 1945 for example. Frische Nehrung (Vistula Spit) 1945 could be interesting too, almost like PHL on the eastern front but with soviet seaborne assault and fighting their way along the land spit :)

There's a couple, not making any wall post when there's Google if you want to know more  :P

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: 24-06-2012, 14:06:03 »
I remember a Dukla Pass map from BF1942 fan mappack.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: 24-06-2012, 14:06:22 »
Slayer, can you give me download link? I would like to check that map :)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: 24-06-2012, 17:06:07 »
Google is your friend ;)

http://www.czbf.net/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=35&limit=10&limitstart=0&order=hits&dir=DESC&Itemid=59

Didn't check if the link is still valid. It wasn't an FH map, but a custom map for vanilla BF42.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: 24-06-2012, 21:06:40 »
Cherkassy Pocket would be a no, it's a winter map, and devs are not doing winter right now for Ostfront, too many new skins, new playermodels needed, etc.

Dukla would def be a possibility, plus could open up the eventual addition of the Hungarians.

Berlin would be a no, far too many new skins, statics, etc, needed, especially specialized statics.  Plus, as noted repeatedly, the devs are doing 1943 and 44 summer/no-snow ostfront.