Author Topic: What do you wanna see in the upcoming eastfront?  (Read 111323 times)

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
Re: What do you wanna see in the upcoming eastfront?
« Reply #45 on: 18-01-2011, 20:01:44 »
Thx azreal.  :) So I will post another one of my favorite small but important battle as soon as I get to my material.

Eastfront Maps I loved very much in FH1:
- Somewhere in Russia (Fanmap, located in Stalingrad: The whole city was undertunneled and many fights played as in Stalingrad in tunnels beneath the city).
- Seelow Heihghts: It always got the people to fight for both sides like I've never seen it before in games. It caused people to really struggle for the last big fight.
- Battle of Orel: Many nice houses which you could enter, connected with laders and woodpieces so you could fight on the streets but as well from house to house
- The Storm: I loved to fight this map... I could really imagine the little village and the barbarians coming. You fight as hell. The map has everything: Planes, strange ice-spyder vehicles, housefights, lot's of tanks... yammmm! This map was a FH1 masterpiece ;)
- Kharkov outskirts: Tough infantry/tank map, no planes.. you can concentrate on sneaking or on tanking. Fight in the village or stay rural. As well a hottie.

It was kinda hard to make a selection. It was easier to name a map that I cannot imagine to be fun in FH2: Pavlovs. People loved it as I saw it as an admin. I don't know but knivefights still suck for me in FH2 and so Pavlov will never be the same. Maybe it's my laptop so other could enjoy it. It attrachts players so I would reccomend it nonetheless even if I don't like it much.
Nissi

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 18-01-2011, 21:01:58 »
No plains please. I admit, a green plain without any tree could be very accurate, indeed, but we got the desert already. Rather make a fancy swamp. Or give at least tanks for everybody so nobody needs to walk

Edit://
- A map with halftracks but no tanks involving a mechanized infantry regiment. 10 halftracks at least. For the look of it.

- A mobile spawn on a command tank. Already suggesting a command tank to decrease its fighting value while being able to hide it aming ten other tanks.

« Last Edit: 18-01-2011, 21:01:54 by Dukat »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline psykfallet

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 18-01-2011, 21:01:30 »
I'd like to see the maxim 1910 and any map featuring italians such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nikolajewka or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Little_Saturn

for germans the hilarious goliath from FH1  ;D and a map based on battle of brest-litovsk http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_Brest_Fortress (could be dually used with Poles in the even they show up some time)
« Last Edit: 19-01-2011, 12:01:41 by psykfallet »

Offline spartanlegend

• View Profile

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18-01-2011, 21:01:05 »
Soviet Flag-carrier kit
Kit where main weapon is only a 5-round stripper clip (used to bludgeon people to death)
A series of Stalingrad maps, each showing the progression of the battle as the Soviets advance (Ex: Stalingrad: Day 1, Day 5, or Stalingrad: Factory District, Stalingrad: Commercial district and so on)
A sniper kit where you can wear one of these:

Some parts of the Commrose spout insults in russian
and a maus.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 18-01-2011, 21:01:42 »
Battle of Königsberg of course.

And Unternehmen Sonnenwende. As you know, one of the last German offensives of the War, against the Soviets.

Cant find pictures or maps, but you could just focus on the first days of the offensive. The Germans attacking Soviet positions with Late War equipment is, imho, a great Idea, since it'll be pretty balanced. (Never seen a German v Soviets map like The Storm, in wich the Germans has to launch a direct attack against Soviet Trenches and stuff.)

Here's some stuff.

11.SS Freiwilliegen-Panzergrenadier Division "Nordland"
Source: http://www.waffen-ss.no/Nordland-english.htm

"...East Prussia and Pomerania
In early February, the refitted Panzer Abt returned to the division, and a trickle of reinforcements began arriving. Among these units was the British Free Corps, a British Waffen-SS formation.

On February 16th, the division was ordered on the offensive as a part of Operation Sonnenwende, the operation to destroy a Soviet salient and to relieve the troops besieged in the town of Arnswalde. The offensive had been conceived by Generaloberst Heinz Guderian as a massed assault all along the front but had then been reduced by Hitler to the level of a local counterattack. Initially, Nordland's attack achieved a total tactical surprise and the division soon advanced to the banks of Lake Ihna in all sectors. However, as the Soviets realised what was happening, resistance grew stiffer and the advance began to slow. On the 17th, the division reached Arnswalde and relieved the exhausted garrison. Over the next few days the town was secured and the surviving civilians were evacuated. Soon, however, strong Soviet counterattacks halted the divisions advance, and Steiner called off the attack, pulling the III (Germanic) SS Panzer Corps back to the Stargard and Stettin on the northern Oder River.

By the 21st the conclusion was made that no more useful gains could be made against an increasingly powerful enemy without undue casualties so Steiner ordered a general withdrawal back to the north bank of the Ihna. Between the 23rd and 28th III (Germanische) SS-Panzerkorps made a slow withdrawal to the area around Stargard and Stettin on the northern Oder River.

The Soviet offensive of 1 March pushed Nordland along with the rest of the depleted III (Germanic) SS Panzerkorps before them. In a desperate fighting withdrawal, the Nordland and the rest of III (Germanic) SS Panzerkorps inflicted heavy casualties on the Soviets, but by March 4, the division was falling back to Altdamm, the last defensive position east of the Oder itself. During the next two weeks, Nordland grimly held to the town, inflicting and suffering high casualties. On the 19th, the battered defenders fell back behind the Oder, the Danmark and Norge regiments had fought virtually to extinction. The division was ordered back to the area west of Schwedt-Bad Freinwalde
for a refit...."

28.SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Division
"Wallonien"

Source: http://www.waffen-ss.no/28.SS-Freiwilli ... lonien.htm

"...The Wallonien was scheduled to take part in Operation Sonnenwende , the major offensive to relieve German troops encircled at Arnswalde . Wallonien was to operate in the area between the Madu See and the Plone See , covering the flank of the main attack. The offensive was launched on 15 February 1945, and met with initial success. However, after the III SS (Germanic) Panzer Corps reached Arnswalde, the situation changed and the Soviet defence began to solidify. Despite the XI Panzer Army causing heavy casualties, the offensive stalled. In heavy fighting, the Wallonien sustained as well as inflicted heavy losses, and eventually began a fighting withdrawal.

The Soviet counter-offensive, launched on 1 March, pushed the Wallonien before it, and over the next few weeks was in almost constant combat until it reached the Oder near Stettin. The Wallonien , fighting alongside the Langemarck managed to hold a thin strip of land on the eastern bank of the Oder until it was forced back across the river in early April.

SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Brigade/Division 'Nederland''
( New name was: 23.SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Division 'Nederland" )

Source: http://www.waffen-ss.nl/nedgesch-e.php
Map : http://www.waffen-ss.nl/nedkaart.gif

"... On January the 26th 1945 Wagner received new orders. The III.SS-Korps including the Brigade was now stationed at the Weichsel-front, but three days after the orders arrived, the entire Brigade embarked in the harbour of Libau. Their destination was Swinemünde-Stettin, where they arrived at February the 5th. In the meantime the Red Army had once again broken through and was now only a hundred kilometres from Berlin. On the 10th of February 1945 the Brigade received the status of a Division. ,The new name was: 23.SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Division 'Nederland' although the unit only counted a thousand combatants. Nevertheless 'Nederland', together with the other SS-Divisions 'Nordland', 'Wallonien' and 'Langemarck' were responsible for the defence of the Oder-front between de towns of Stettin and Neustadt. It was in this area that the last battles with the Red Army took place.

In March 1945 Division 'Nederland was strengthened with Kampfgruppe Rehder that would form the I.Battalion of the 49.Regiment 'De Ruyter'. After an attack at Arnswalde had failed, it was necessary to dig in once again. In April 1945 'Nederland' was split up. The 48.Regiment 'General Seyffardt' headed south while the 49.Regiment 'De Ruyter' stayed where it was. On April the 16th two Soviet-Russian fronts (army groups) attacked simultaneously and broke through on the 25th. The 49.Regiment was forced to withdraw to the west, north of Berlin. ..."

SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 23 Norge

Source: http://www.frontkjemper.info/show_info. ... linger-eng
Map: http://www.frontkjemper.info/images/kar ... d_stor.gif

"...During January 1945 the two «Norge» battalions were located at Priekulen. By the end of the month, the entire III. (Germanic) Panzer Corps was pulled out of Courland. Then, about only 60 Norwegians were left in «Norge».

But the rest was to be short. The SS units were forced to retreat towards Stargard. In spite of to enemy attacks, the city of Schlagenthin was held by the «Nordland» forces, though both 6th and 7th company suffered heavy losses. Then Regiment «Norge» participated, as a part of Steiners army, in Operation «Sonnenwende». Their assignment was to free a battle group that was surrounded in the city of Arnswalde east of Stettin, a task which they managed to complete. In co-operation with the «Danmark» regiment, «Norge» managed to «free» the city. The 11th company, supported by only one Königstiger, in addition to some old Volkssturm men, was assigned to conquer the city of Ebenau.
But the units were soon forced to retreat. The SS soldiers were driven from outpost to outpost. By mid April, only 30-50 Norwegians were left in the regiment...."

And this

Russians
1 Belarussian Front
from left (MIedwie Lake) to right

2 Guards Tank Army
XII GD Tank K (48,49,66 GW Tank Brigade)
61 Army
9 GW KS (12 gw?,75gw?,397 DS)
80 KS (212,356,415 DS)
89 KS (23,234,311 DS

( KS infantry Korps, DS infantry Div)

7 GWKCav (14,15,16 GW DCav

and elements from 3 SHock Army
7 KS (146, 265, 364 DS

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 18-01-2011, 21:01:21 »
Only terrain and textures. Statics, vehicles, and gameplay objects must be re-done.

sadly you can't take the textures, because bf42 baked the lightmap in to the ground textures.. so you would have shadows left from all the bf42/fh1 statics....
You would also not be able to separate the colors in the ground to apply detail textures on the correct places, since bf42 only used 1 detail for the whole ground..... Unless you sit and magic-wand pick every pixel on a 4096x4096 image  :P

But yea, converting maps works fine otherwise.. :) The ones Nissi posted are all great

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 18-01-2011, 21:01:56 »
Today I played Men of War and there were simply badass weapon - 4xMaxim connected with each other! Looked simply awesome!  ;D

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 18-01-2011, 21:01:07 »
For equipment I'd like to see:

- the anti tank gun Stuka and some other obvious stuff, like Katyusha
- lend lease equipment for the SU
- captured equipment used by Germans (T34 with German flag on top - epic)

For special kits I'd like:

- a Goliath kit (not superspecial for Ostfront, but it is cool, so why not)
- a red flag "Urrah!" kit with extra stamina

For maps, I'd like to have
- Battle for Kiev, can be 1941 or 1943. Can make it Outskirts only, so no full city map.

Map: http://www.czechpatriots.com/csmu/kiev1943CSMU.php
Why is it cool? You can have attack by Germans and counterattack two years later (two maps, one workload) and there are Russians and Czechs!

- I know you dont want to hear this, but I'd LOVE to see a remake of Battle of Stalingrad, one of my alltime favs of FH1.
Why is it cool? Do you have to ask? Play the FH1 version once and you will know ;)

- The Battle of Białystok–Minsk
Tank battle between Army group Centre, among which was the SS div Das Reich (axis) and 3rd/4th/10th/11th Army (I prefer 3rd or 4th represented in the map) of the Red Army of the SU (allies). The Soviets are in a salient, the Germans have to drive them out.

Map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/Battle_of_Bialystok%E2%80%93Minsk.png
Why is it cool? It is part of Operation Barbarossa, which has never been depicted properly in a FPS game.

Maps where I don't know a battle name of:
- a marsh map where the marsh is filled with dead Soviet bodies for T34s to drive over
- a map where the Soviets stand on a small strip with their backs to the OOB zone and the Germans have trench positions nearby. The Soviets can only advance. When they go back they will die of the OOB (this symbolises that commander who shoots every retreating SU soldier that everyone wants to see ingame).

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 18-01-2011, 22:01:07 »
I WANTS MAH P-39 FOR OSTFRONT KTHXBAI

As for map ideas, haven't played FH1 so feel free to ridicule me:

Dnieper airborne operation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_Dnieper_Offensive#Dnieper_airborne_operation
Dnieper assault crossing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_Dnieper_Offensive#Assault-crossing_the_Dnieper
These are probably self-explanatory, but would bring variety to the cityfights and open-terrain tank battles one would usually expect from the Eastern Front.

Prokhorovka I would handle with a twist: the battlefield is neatly divided into three by the river Psel and the rail line. Only by capping a bridge and a crossing in the north will the Germans be able to move reinforcements between the battlezones (other than spawning on different flag). The bleed is on until they can capture Prokhorovka proper.

Besides Pavlov's House, I would like to see more of Stalingrad in the form of Dzezhinsky Tractor Factory. You could have "unpainted" T-34's spawn there as long until the Germans manage to capture/destroy it (whether an unrecappable flag or destroyable objective suits better is a matter of taste). Also, much of the battle should be fought as much in the factory as outside it.

Also, the attempts to reinforce Soviet troops in Stalingrad by ferrying troops across the river would be cool to see in FH2 (yes, I know, COD hurr durr). Well, the Dnieper crossing might be a good enough substitute.

Since Der Untergang aka Battle of Reichstag is a given, I won't mention it.... oops. Oh, all right. Make it pushmode so that the last flag the Soviets can capture is the Reichstag flag and it is unrecappable. Also, German spawnzones should be outside the flagzone to make it more challenging to protect the Reichstag.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 18-01-2011, 22:01:40 »
 A remake of Pavlov's house that doesn't turn out to be a camp fest would be my one and only wish.

Basically remade so that it is one size fits all for player numbers. Instead of making 16, 32 and 64 sizes separately.

With lots of kits so the map isn't played with half the team camping the main for the only flamethrower.

And Ridable Wolves !!! we should never forget our memes
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 18-01-2011, 22:01:59 »
Reading this thread makes me want to experiment mapping for FH2 like Dr. Moreau did on the uknown island.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 18-01-2011, 23:01:46 »
Elefant, magnetic mine, a wheeled maxim that needs to be deployed to fire, a whistle, Ridable horse and horse cart, JU88, both on rails and as a vehicle.

Pipeways and sewer ways in stalingrad, a transport train with turret and AA, crossing the volga at the start of a stalingrad map, NO single stalingrad or citadel map but a series of maps, ski vehicle and propanga spewing destroyable static hanomag with loudspeaker and real russian-spoken German propaganda, a decent pilot kit for the reds and not a cap

Offline Laffey

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 18-01-2011, 23:01:16 »
I would really like a map with Walter Wenck and his newly formed 12th Army's attempt to regroup with the 9th Army in the Halbe Pocket, the last German offensive of the war, which enabled 250,000 civilians and 25,000 men of the 9th Army to surrender to the Americans.

FH2 nick= [BoF]RoflSeal
WoT nick= RoflSeal(aka BucketSeal by hslan and TS guys)

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 18-01-2011, 23:01:05 »
I would really like a map with Walter Wenck and his newly formed 12th Army's attempt to regroup with the 9th Army in the Halbe Pocket, the last German offensive of the war, which enabled 250,000 civilians and 25,000 men of the 9th Army to surrender to the Americans.

And Hitler raging over the radio and spamming NEIN NEIN