Author Topic: Foreign Horror Films  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
Foreign Horror Films
« on: 25-10-2010, 18:10:40 »
Foreign as in Non-American.

I am big into these, and with halloween approaching I am in the mood for late night scarefests. What do you non-americans recommend? I have seen a fair amount already, but give me some suggestions please. Something that isn't to obscure so it hopefully has english subtitles :).

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Foreign Horror Films
« Reply #1 on: 25-10-2010, 18:10:45 »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1029234/

I lost my belief on humanity after watching this.

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25-10-2010, 18:10:58 »
Actually downloading that right now! have not seen it yet.

The movies I have in my queue right now are

Frontiers
Antibodies
Martyrs
High Tension
Calvaire
Frostbitten
Pontypool
The-devils-backbone

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25-10-2010, 19:10:43 »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124394/

I have been planning to see this one since it was released. No success yet.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25-10-2010, 19:10:42 »
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse

Fritz Lang's masterpiece from 1933

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023563/
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25-10-2010, 19:10:20 »
A South Korean movie i really really like (10/10) is  Rpoint
I always recommend it to everyone. Its a horror/thriller in a vietnam war setting. I would compare it with The Bunker and Deathwatch. Pretty much the same mood. (subtitles is a must)
Though its alot more a thriller than splatter-horror

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuuucniqphk

Norway have also made quite many horror/thriller movies lately, like : Villmark, Fritt Vilt, Rovdyr and Død Snø.
But only Død Snø is good, and its also more of a comedy. The others sucks imo. Theyre just very popular here these days , since Norway finally manage to make movies similar to 80's hollywood-movies.

Though denmark have made some quite good movies in the 90's called : ... well the only one i remember is
Nattevagten, though its a true thriller, without horror, aswell as hollywood have copied it in some movie i dont remember the name with Nick Nolte as bad guy

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25-10-2010, 19:10:18 »
Dead Snow:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278340/

Come on, Nazi Zombies! What's there not to like about this movie?
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25-10-2010, 19:10:11 »
Seen dead snow actually haha, hilariously not scary :P

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25-10-2010, 20:10:33 »
Well, i do like Dead Snow, its the other norwegian movies i mentioned that i dont like  :)

Though i do like Outpost better if talking about nazi zombies. Sometimes i watch comedies and think theyre great, but generally i like serious movies better.

Btw its a new norwegian movie coming looking very promising. I think its a funny action horror, or something, and it looks like it will be the most successful norwegian movie ever, i think hollywood already want to make a remake, even before the movie is released. Its called   Trolljegeren   and its about trolls in the mountain killing people ( i think )

Offline Smiles

• FH-Betatester
  • Boooo Auto-Spot! Booo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25-10-2010, 23:10:09 »
Dude, i watched some Polish horor movie. It was the strangest fucking movie ever. Every scene lasted round 10 seconds, People got brainwashed, drugged, raped and hugged. The characters where awfull, the filming was terrible and it costs 2€. The saddest part: i cant remember the name.
I'm taking my own freedom
puttin' it in my song
singing loud and strong
proving all day long
I'm takin' my freedom
puttin' it in my stroll
I'll be hop-steppin' y'all
lettin' the joy unfold

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26-10-2010, 00:10:57 »
Umm I just watched Frontier. Basically French rioters who hate the government go out into the woods to escape (I guess) and end up being trapped by flesh eating Nazis who want to kill them or make them part of the family...ends up with not really sure what.

Anyway, going to watch Antibodies with my gf soon, heard it was good. German made

Offline Miklas

• Ingame: Calle_XVI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26-10-2010, 03:10:38 »
A good classic Swedish thriller that is called Jägarna (the hunters) is actually very good.
http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0116736/
Might be hard to find subtitles though.

It's filmed in the north of Sweden so don't think that all of Sweden is like that.  :P

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26-10-2010, 03:10:12 »
Okay this might be a challenge, I actually want to find a movie that I think its german, they gave me the name but I forgot it.

Okay, the movie its about a surgeon that his especiallity its to cut loose conjoined twins. One day the guy lost it, bores with his job and starts to surgically join people, including intestines and all.

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26-10-2010, 11:10:26 »
I'm not that into horror movies but here are a couple of non-american ones I liked:

Let The Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in) - Swedish vamp movie that probably holds the world record of fastest US remake ever, right after:

[REC] - cool spanish Blair Witch alike horror movie.

The Descent - 4 Girls, a cave, and something else. Tense, claustrofobic stuff from the director of Doomsday and Dog Soldiers

Nosferatu - Classic expressionistic Dracula story by german FW Murnau. Werner Herzog made a remake in the 70's which is apparently also very good.

Thirst (Bakjwi)- Original Korean take on the vampire myth (so yeah, I'm not into horror, but kind of into vampire movies ;))

A friend of mine recently also recommended Martyrs (french) and The Orphanage (El Orfanato)  but haven't watched those yet. Same goes for the older Guillermo Del Toro flicks like The Devil's Backbone (El Espinazo Del Diablo).

Will add more if I think of some other titles.
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26-10-2010, 11:10:15 »
The Descent is american though, no?