Author Topic: FH Toolbox - PBSetup problem  (Read 3688 times)

Offline rattovolante

• View Profile
FH Toolbox - PBSetup problem
« on: 30-03-2009, 09:03:22 »
Hello, I just reinstalled BF2 + FH2. On my previous install everything run fine, but this time I am unable to launch PBSetup from FH2's toolbox

If I attempt to run PBSetup from the toolbox (menu > tools > Start PBSetup), one of these 2 things happen:
- PBSetup pops up a small message window <<ERROR: Please rename the PBSetup executable to "pbsetup.exe" and run pbsetup from that location.>> and quits without showing the main window
- FH2's toolbox crashes generating a standard "Send an error report to Microsoft" windows prompt. PBSetup seems to be launched in the meanwhile (appears in Window's task manager but never pops up any window

Misc info:
Toolbox version 1.0.085
PBSetup version 3.4
BF2 is installed to G:\giochi\Battlefield 2
PBSetup is installed to G:\giochi\PBSetup
G: is a removable drive (USB2.0 external HD, for what it's worth) - obviously it's always plugged in when the toolbox is run (since the toolbox itself resides on it as well)
PBSetup's executable is named "pbsetup.exe"
PBSetup runs fine and updates pb files if I run it manually (i.e., if I go to its dir and doubleclick on its icon)
OS is Windows XP
In FH2 toolbox, menu > options > Punkbuster Setup Parameter is pointing to the right directory
« Last Edit: 30-03-2009, 23:03:45 by Admiral Donutz »
game.utilities.printScriptTillItFuckingWorks() fan

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: FH Toolbox - PBSetup problem
« Reply #1 on: 30-03-2009, 12:03:13 »
Moving this from the bug report forum to help/support (unless you meant this to be here? But it sounds like a userside problem rather then a bug to me).

Offline rattovolante

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30-03-2009, 16:03:19 »
Well, I posted in bug reports since I would classify it as a bug because it can crash the toolbox.

I don't actually need to fix it (I just run PBSetup from an external shortcut), so... well, not much to ask support for. :)

I just wished to tell Purity about it. (even if I think fixing it probably won't be worth the effort)

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30-03-2009, 16:03:54 »
Hmm I'll move it back then.

Offline rattovolante

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30-03-2009, 16:03:20 »
Wait wait, maybe it's better in the off-topic... *watches donutz haul the thread back and forth*

(ok, I'l stop spamming now... :P)

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #5 on: 30-03-2009, 17:03:36 »
I just wished to tell Purity about it. (even if I think fixing it probably won't be worth the effort)

Does Purity even lurk here?  I have some Toolbox issues as well.....
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Purity

• Developer
  • muhaaaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30-03-2009, 21:03:07 »
all this info sounds good to me ... could you try contacting me in our irc channel? then we could do some end-to-end tests ...

... and yes, i'm lurking around here sometimes so feel free to post ;-)

Offline Purity

• Developer
  • muhaaaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30-03-2009, 22:03:50 »
ok, well, to make it short, pbsetup.exe dont likes it (in version 3.4) if you start it with the name PBSetup.exe ... dont ask me why but you can test it yourself when you start it using a command window or batch files ...

anyway ... its fixed localy and i will try to upload a patch for the toolbox soon ...

if you think you can try to rename pbsetup.exe to PBSetup.exe then you are wrong, pbsetup refuses to work after this ... strange app, but perhaps its on purpose.

so i declare this case as: SOLVED (or in progress :-D)