Author Topic: Civilization V - The Thread  (Read 15040 times)

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
Re: Civilization V - The Thread
« Reply #165 on: 10-11-2010, 23:11:20 »
Are the maps bigger or smaller than those in Civ IV?  I think the ones in IV are too small, but that's just me.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #166 on: 10-11-2010, 23:11:06 »
Are the maps bigger or smaller than those in Civ IV?  I think the ones in IV are too small, but that's just me.
I actually thought about that earlier, I played a small map with about 4 or 5 AI CIV's and I gotta say, small is big in CIV5. Can't even imagine how my laptop would handle medium or large or even huge!

EDIT: Oh, and damn those paratroopers can do some serious damage. Had one unit of those who cut through a whole civilization almost by itself!

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 10-11-2010, 23:11:15 »
They can go pretty big, however the large ones lag a lot, at least on multiplayer. My computer is pretty powerful, but the game I tried on a really big map(multiplayer, but against someone I knew who also has a powerful computer) was unplayable by 1800 A.D. simply because of how bad it was lagging at the beginning of every turn.

Granted, I haven't played it in a while though, due to how broken multiplayer was in general when it came out, so maybe some of this has been fixed by patches. Also, the combat is a lot more fun so a big map is not as necessary as it was in the previous games, as Rawhide said.
« Last Edit: 10-11-2010, 23:11:47 by Nerdsturm »

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #168 on: 13-11-2010, 01:11:25 »
About to round off my second session of CIV5, year is 1900 and I'm Caesar.

I go to war too often, gotta aim for diplomatic victory or something like that

Been at war since 300 AD...

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 13-11-2010, 09:11:11 »
Yeah the bigger maps are fairly resource hungry.

First game I played was on a small map and it ran smooth as silk (running in DX11 mode at 1600x1200).

The game I'm playing atm is on a large map and when it jumps (read: jerks) to a unit on the other side of the map, the land is grey and you can watch it ground textures load in... ::)

I would've thought a HD5770 (1Gb) would be more than enough to run a strategy game like Civ.

And getting back to this:
Hehe at least now you get an 'achievement' when the PC does that to you 10 times in a row. (see the attachment)...I already got it (as did 75% of all Civ players). All is well. ;D
I got this so-called "achievement" before I even finished the first game, a game during which I only attempted to build 4 or 5 wonders... ::)

Maybe the guy who comes up with these "achievements" needs a holiday...I mean, what next?

- The 3...2...1...We have liftoff! Award

Successfully install and launch the game.

Go Steam... :P

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #170 on: 14-11-2010, 18:11:45 »
There's a good-looking patch on its way!

AI
Worker AI improvements .
Update to tactical AI pillaging code. Additionally, always check to make sure it’s not trying to pillage in an enemy dominance zone.
AI victory emphasis improvements (more efficient end-game when focusing on Science and Diplo victories).
AI should colonize other continents regularly.
AI will emphasize production of an Ocean going explorer unit when the time comes.
Adjust Napoleon to make him more likely to go for culture.
More aggressive second wave expansion (mostly off shore) after initial empire building and consolidation has occurred.
Optimization when finding routes (pathfinder improvement).
Multiple tweaks and bug fixes.
AI will now build ranged and mobile units more in line with the flavor settings.
Multiple defensive AI tweaks.
Gameplay
Cities heal more quickly.
Only allow one upgrade per unit from a goody hut.
UI
Tweaked the single-player score list to hide the civs of unmet ai players.
Diplomacy
AI’s attitude towards you is now visible in the diplo screen and diplo drop-down.
Added info tooltip for an AI leader’s mood. Lists things that are making an AI player happy/upset.
New diplo system: Declaration of Friendship (public declaration with diplomatic repercussions).
New diplo system: Denounce (public declaration with diplomatic repercussions).
New custom leader responses (Serious Expansion Warning, Aggressive Military, Luxury Exchange, Borders Exchange, Gift Request).
Modding
Parent category counts now include counts of child categories.
Selecting/deselecting a category now automatically selects/deselects it’s children and its parent.
Tweaked category name truncation to better fit names.
Hide categories w/ no children and a count of 0.
Added support for fallback languages (if mod is not translated, fall-back to English so text keys are not showing).
Miscellaneous
Fixed save format which causes saves to increase the memory footprint of the game drastically when loading frequently over the course of the game.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/11/12/new-civilization-v-patch-in-the-works/

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #171 on: 14-11-2010, 19:11:09 »
Sounds good!

You guys got a good view on the current mod status for CIV5, anything you guys are keeping an eye on or anything you just gotta try?

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 20-12-2010, 16:12:36 »
Now im soon done with my 4th session of Civ5. I guess i have come to some conclutions. Most things are improved to the better, except the combat system. It makes a new way of strategy, but more like a boardgame strategy not representing real combat on a global scale. Sometimes it turns out to be very ineffective with units blocking eachother and to take a city may take several turns longer just cause of that.

The ranged units is a very good improvement. That you actually weaken the unit with artillery, not just erase their fortification bonus. I guess the cooperation between land units, ranged units and planes is alot better. You need them all, alot more than in Civ 4.

Ive won conquering victory, diplomatical victory and now im trying cultural victory. Though no war no fun. I guess i usually will go for military victory in the future.

Golden age is also alot more relevant in this game. You may get unlimited golden ages i think, compared to 1 or maybe 2 ( i think ) in civ4. The city states, natural wonders, and the new sea-transport system and all of it is alot better than civ4 imo. And best of all,   no religion  :)

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 02-07-2012, 11:07:09 »
Anyone got Gods & Kings yet?

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 02-07-2012, 11:07:35 »
Yes here.
I have it, but unluckily I only managed to play it for about an hour till now.
All in all this review summarizes my feelings for the add-on quite well.
http://www.destructoid.com/review-civilization-v-gods-and-kings-227210.phtml

To sum it up: Many nice things and worth a buy, but unfortunately it doesn't return Civ V to Civ IV's roots.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 03-07-2012, 10:07:28 »
I've all but given up on V, the battle mechanics and hex map are great, but that's about it.

It seems that if you're not out to crush everyone with your military, you have no hope of winning.

Although I'll probably will get G&K just to try and breathe some life back into it.

FWIW, I reinstalled IV on the weekend, and played it for a couple of hours...it felt so right.  :) 

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 03-07-2012, 10:07:26 »

It seems that if you're not out to crush everyone with your military, you have no hope of winning.

Most of my victories have been non military :/

I've yet to purchase the expansion, but it looks promising indeed.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 03-07-2012, 10:07:07 »
Really? I must be doing something wrong... :)

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 03-07-2012, 18:07:05 »
Any Eternal War fans here?

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 04-07-2012, 10:07:09 »
You mean this?: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117862-The-Eternal-War-Ten-Years-of-a-Single-Civ-2-Game

I'm surprised he hasn't given up considering he's been stuck in a vicious cycle for 1700 years.