Poll

Should Forgotten Hope 2 go standalone?

Yes
No
Other (please explain in thread)

Author Topic: Forgotten Hope 2, The Standalone discussion.  (Read 9250 times)

Offline Zeno

• View Profile
Forgotten Hope 2, The Standalone discussion.
« on: 22-04-2016, 01:04:51 »
So i want to bring this up with you guys, there has been a long time since i have played FH2. I have loved it since before the first release and i still love it to this day. But my question is for the community and mostly the development team. Should FH2 also become a standalone mod?

Im not going to bring PR into this, but they have proven that there is NO legal reprecussions from EA/DICE, so that only strenthens the pro-standalone stance. Be honest with yourself, how many new players will you obtain in 2016, with such an "advanced" installment process.

lets compare:

current method:
Obtain BF2 - download 1.41 patch - Download 1.50 - install 1.41 - install 1.50 - download FH2 - Install FH2 - play

Standalone:
Download exe - install exe - play

This also enable you to add Hash keys for each computer, making it alot harder for cheaters to avoid bans.

Lets try to have an mature and important discussion here, this really could change FH2 drasticly.

Offline GIJordncc1701d

• View Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope 2, The Standalone discussion.
« Reply #1 on: 22-04-2016, 04:04:16 »
I've actually been thinking about this quite often recently. I'm not very active in playing on the servers, mostly because I don't play video games much anymore. However when I do, it's with one of my best friends over LAN.

The installation system is honestly a pain. I reinstall the game time to time as I've found it cures most of the issues I have with it. But reinstalling it is such a time consuming thing to do. And, like what was mentioned, it's hard to get anyone interested because it's such a hard game to get into, it takes a lot of work just to get playing. And in this world of high speed, it's hard to convince someone to try playing.

But if there's a question as to whether that would actually change anything, I have examples to support my point. I've gotten three people into FH2 (mostly offline players, too, as we live in the country and internet isn't the greatest out here) by installing it for them.

This is such an incredible game, one very unlike anything I've ever seen. It has such high quality maps, models, gameplay....you name it. And I believe that it needs to be more accessible. I know that there are technical difficulties with this, and that the focus of the limited developers is elsewhere, but I believe that it is a worthwhile endeavor.

Something I'd also be open to, although I don't know how to do it or how to make it most effective, would be a crowd sourced publicity campaign. Advertisement. One thing about working so damn much is I've got enough money to support things that I love, and FH2 is something I really want to succeed. I want to see it succeed beyond the successes it has had.

So, yes, I vote standalone. Within reason, of course.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22-04-2016, 05:04:10 »
I like the idea of having a mature discussion about going standalone :) Ik that the devs are kinda tired of this question, but in the past it's mostly been brought up in the wrong way; with the implication that the devs are lazy or holding-out on the community, which isn't the case. If this thread can stay civil I think it will be a good thing.

I'm personally all for going standalone. Making this game easier to play can only help and not hurt. I think you're right that a good amount of people are holding out on trying this mod because of the install time and trying to find BF2. I don't think it will somehow increase FH2s player base to astronomical levels. This is still a pretty niche game with an arguably high learning curve. But again, making it easier in case someone loses their old BF2 disk, hard drive crash, getting their friends to give it a quick try. It's all good and can only help.

Legally, I don't think the devs are as free to distribute a standalone mod as everyone thinks. I think there's a few other factors at play that the PR devs don't have to think about since they host their own website etc... That's really up for the devs to discuss tho.

I would love to see this mod go standalone one day. I think it would make a lot of people happy, boost the player base for a bit, and make the mod a little more complete overall. Hopefully one day we can get it :)

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22-04-2016, 06:04:01 »
While they continue to mull the idea of standalone, I would like to see them ask the battlelog people to include FH2 on their mod page http://battlelog.co/downloads.php#mods.  That would streamline the installation a bit.  If the devs are concerned that they would be too closely associated with a pirate outfit, I would point out that some of the mod download links are actually links to moddb.com pages.  I assume that most new players are getting their BF2 from there.  If there is another source, FH2 should be linked there as well.  Right now it seems to be a mostly word-of-mouth mod and some old vets returning for a bit.

Offline Zeno

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22-04-2016, 11:04:25 »

Legally, I don't think the devs are as free to distribute a standalone mod as everyone thinks. I think there's a few other factors at play that the PR devs don't have to think about since they host their own website etc... That's really up for the devs to discuss tho.

I really dont belive that to be the issue, also they could just provide a mirror provider to avoid that.

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22-04-2016, 14:04:26 »
First
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=20252.0

Second
Yep,FH2 for standalone. It will not increase people playing that drasticly,but after standalone you could
Install faster
Spread it over and maybe on Steam
And then maybe we can raise players on two servers-which would mean 1 server all the time full. But I see that PR and FH2 community are not promoting each other. I never saw something about fh2 realising 2.5 at PR or PR 1.35 realesed on this forum(sorry for this,only wanted to say that adverstisment is also important)
I also tryed getting my friends on fh2 but when they heard about installing proces..uh . So standalone would be thing that would give people CHANCE to install game. Chance that you will install it smootly without pain process. Then you can delete it,but people would try it more offten then now.
« Last Edit: 22-04-2016, 14:04:08 by Ivancic1941 »
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22-04-2016, 15:04:04 »

I really dont belive that to be the issue, also they could just provide a mirror provider to avoid that.

So how do you think it's perfectly legal to release someone elses game? And EA not taking action against PR is not an answer, that don't make it legal per default.

Also. These days to install Fh2 you can just use the battlelog.co installer in which case installing Fh2 would be like:

Battlelog installer + Fh2 launcher

which isn't really hard or complicated.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22-04-2016, 18:04:35 »

So how do you think it's perfectly legal to release someone elses game? And EA not taking action against PR is not an answer, that don't make it legal per default.

Also. These days to install Fh2 you can just use the battlelog.co installer in which case installing Fh2 would be like:

Also note how when the community updater was released, nobody complained about the sudden increase in "complication". Just seems that in addition a to a free mod, you also want free pirated stuff from us.

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23-04-2016, 11:04:57 »
Solution : Some one or a group outside Fh2 community could make it happend

Downloading and installing this game is easy. Help your lazy friends

The Complicated part of playing is when gaming the Forgotten Honor Tournament
Setting up team speak & tags
Setting up tags in Fh2
Allways make sure to have the latest map update etc.
A lot of different things needs to be correct
Been playing Tournament for some weeks by now. Love it :-)
But in the squad/team all ways at least one person have pc or game problems which is a shame.

As much as I would like FH2 standalone The difficult way of install & play makes Fh2 more immune to trolls & hackers

Offline Zeno

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23-04-2016, 15:04:20 »

Also note how when the community updater was released, nobody complained about the sudden increase in "complication". Just seems that in addition a to a free mod, you also want free pirated stuff from us.

Free pirated stuff? how can you say that when its an abandoned game that even the publisher hands out for free?  :) How can you "pirate" a free game? (and yes i know distribution laws etc). but when you have PR with a much wider audience having done it for a year now without reprecussions. its clear that the gain of going standalone is  far greater than the risk.

edit: also, if EA/Dice actually did take action, there is nothing stopping you from reverting to the current method..
« Last Edit: 23-04-2016, 15:04:30 by Zeno »

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23-04-2016, 16:04:16 »
No we understand the logic just fine, and have discussed this matter since the day they announced the gamespy shutodown. But the question here is why you think it's perfectly legal to release an abandoned game? Maybe there's some laws about this that we haven't heard of.  And again EA not deciding to choose don't make it legal.

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23-04-2016, 17:04:00 »
Where does EA hand out bf2 for free? Even if they do it, it would still not mean, you have the right to copy it yourself. Here, your logic is still beaten by international accepted copyright law.

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23-04-2016, 17:04:54 »
Why not then asking EA for opinion/permission? They 100% heard that PR went standalone(maybe even Natty can know did EA mentioned about it).. One email about opinion wouldnt hurt so much as going standalone would. And mod/game would be free and then if aproved by EA even better-but maybe that would put PR in bad position...If you didnt know PR was directly supported by EA and maybe they even had right to go standalone after all these years keeping big part of BF2 active
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23-04-2016, 22:04:52 »
[...] how can you say that when its an abandoned game that even the publisher hands out for free? [...]

Last I heard, Battlefield 2 is still on the market:

http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-2-PC/dp/B0006SL93I
https://www.google.com/#tbm=shop&q=battlefield+2

Offline Zari

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24-04-2016, 00:04:18 »
I think that standalone is not so necessary as it seems so. Today you have two, much simpler ways to install BF2: BF2 Revive, or contacting with Origin support to adding your copy to Origin (even if you have basic copy without any expansion packs, they will give you a Complete Collection, with latest 1.50 patch etc). Then everything you have to do is download the FH2. Quick and simple.