Author Topic: The World Cup 2018  (Read 4405 times)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2018
« Reply #30 on: 30-06-2018, 19:06:22 »
To be honest, France was not that convincing until they faced Argentina. And I am quite surprised that Argentina showed some mettle, dominating the posession and made a threatening play several times. Their midfield was clearly outplayed by the French, their defense? Well, we saw Mbappé. No wonder Barcelona wanted him so badly.

I thought when they had the 2-1 advantage, Sampaoli would have played "park the bus" and insert Dybala in front of Messi to score a cheap counter attack goal while holding on to the lead. But it didn't go that way.

France turned super saiyan and Griezmann, Pogba, Mbappé cs wrecked havoc in front of Argentinian defense. They caused far more trouble for Argentina's defense than Sampaoli, at least I will give him that.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30-06-2018, 23:06:19 »
Anyone else think that the penalty was a bit easily given? The first foul on Mbappé was outside the box, then he continues and goes down inside the box. I was actually surprised the referee fell for it and the VAR did nothing.

But I don't read anything about it anywhere, so I guess I missed something...

Great game by Uruguay btw, but they have to work on their stamina, as from minute 80-82, they were flat out of energy, especially Suarez.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01-07-2018, 06:07:37 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C6oOcDFmLY

Yeah I thought Rojo did foul him by pushing from outside the box. But then he continued with second push that brought him down inside the box. So I think the penalty is fine.

That game has produced 2 fantastic goals, which can easily be the best goals of this tournament. Di María's goal and Pavard's amazing volley.

Congrats to Uruguay. All the team in this last-16 matches did produce great shows. Never knew Portugal could work so hard and aggressive. The first Suárez-Cavani goal is a classic show to demonstrate how two of the world's most dangerous strikers work together to bring down opponent's defense.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01-07-2018, 18:07:13 »
Spain OUT

I don't like parking the bus and winning with penalties but I guess that's good for the Russians.

Ah, Russia did better than us... we should have done the same once we were up 2-1 against France.

Offline pizzzaman

• Test Map De-coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01-07-2018, 22:07:46 »
What a boring couple of matches today. Though it's nice to see Russia got through...
You are bathing in misery and hope, waiting for someone to come and pull the plug.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02-07-2018, 00:07:28 »
Yeah I thought Rojo did foul him by pushing from outside the box. But then he continued with second push that brought him down inside the box.
Exactly, and since the rule is that the referee should whistle for the first offense, it should be a free kick, but that is just my humble opinion of course.

Spain out, they were not in this tournament like they used to. They didn't have a good plan to bring down the walls of the defenders this time. Lots of comments on Putin and the referee helping Russia, but that is just sore losing. Spain should have won this match by playing better than they did today.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02-07-2018, 18:07:46 »
Rio Ferdinand on Spain: They have more than 80% of possession and did nothing, they don't take the risk and play the ball, how could you score? The enemy certainly will be tenacious and refuse to give openings. Spain deserve to lose for dominating the possession by doing nothing with the ball.

Cesc Fabregas nodded and Alan Shearer too.

BTW, amazing attacking football from both Brazil and Mexico. Too bad we have to see Neymar Jr. wiggling like his routine. Layun could have been red carded if Neymar didn't overdo it. It makes it hard to see whether he was legitimately fouled or simply did his "selling" the mild contact.

(selling = a pro wrestling term for the wrestler to try to make the opponent's attack appears more powerful and serious)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02-07-2018, 22:07:17 »
Holy cow, Japan really gave Belgium a run for its money.

For a moment they were about to be eliminated from the World Cup, trailing the other country which flag has similar colours. Almost unexpected from the full team Belgium and the previously lethargic Japan at the group stage. Somehow the Japanese managed to summon up Samurai spirit and carved through that Belgium not-so-solid defense. They might want to patch it up before going against Brazil.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 03-07-2018, 00:07:34 »
I'm not into the World Cup, but that was fun to watch. Was rooting for Japan just because they were the underdog. :D but that was awesome.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 03-07-2018, 06:07:09 »
I was expecting a walk in the park for Belgium. But their "open" playstyle spread their defense too thin, and somehow the tenacious Japan was able to capitalise from it first before the Belgians woke up from their slumber.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 03-07-2018, 23:07:33 »
What a disappointing show from Colombia.

I was expecting Rodriguez - Falcao show, but that doggone James' injury won't let it happen. Fine!

Then they resorted to dirty play, just as they did with Japan. WTF? I thought Falcao is skilled enough, but apparently after that massive injury in 2014, he is just a husk of his former glory now, resorting to cheap theatrics, debating, and provocative behaviour to win the game.

Have they learned about VAR, replays and all? Why did Sanchez keep handing out cheap penalties? First to Japan, and now to England. And why all the arguing? I thought people in that continent from Panama down to Uruguay loved to play football no? It was a clear foul, which luckily wasn't punished with a red card.

England and their cool captain deserved to go through. Somebody must put an end to Sweden's lucky run.
« Last Edit: 03-07-2018, 23:07:18 by Zoologic »

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 04-07-2018, 21:07:09 »
Finally England defeated their biggest enemy:

England.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 04-07-2018, 21:07:47 »
Why did Sanchez keep handing out cheap penalties? First to Japan, and now to England.
Agreed, but I must say that the penalty was easily given again. Kane made the first offense, by grabbing the throat of Sanchez, who then went to do something really dumb. But Kane literally "made this penalty happen", it was very undeserved imo.

Shame to see Mina go, I totally rooted for this guy: 1.95 meters long, custom made shoes because his huge size doesn't exist and he is named Jerry, after the mouse from "Tom and Jerry"! How cool is that!

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05-07-2018, 12:07:54 »
I believe that before the ball is played, anything can happen, but then you shouldn't body slam another player down so blatantly, especially in front of referee and VAR cameras.

I was actually rooting for Colombia too. My British bias vibe doesn't impede me from supporting their opponent. But Sanchez somehow thought he need to sacrifice himself in the first 5 minute. What the hell? You got superior team, let the Japanese score, and you'll have all the time in the world to get back. Then they resorted to dirty play and mobbing the referees to make up for their 1 man deficit. They rinse and repeat the same style against England, just because they can't have Rodriguez. These lot are the unluckiest team in the entire tournament, and I am very very sad for them:

In 2014, I was ecstatic to see Falcao in action for Colombia, but he got injured and cannot make it. However, they presented us with magnificent James Rodríguez. I was wowed and they become instant favourite. Brazil's win over them was dirty and unwatchable. That 1-7 loss after they undeservedly knocked Colombia out was probably karma.

In 2018, I was expecting Falcao-Rodríguez duo one a great veteran, the other an aspiring superstar in his prime demolishing the tourney's big teams. Yet what I saw is completely different: Rodríguez is recovering from his injury, and Falcao never really show something that remind us of his glorious days. Falcao becomes a cheeky sneering coward, who exchanged his now gone skills with diving theatrics, incessant referee provokings, and numerous wasted chances. The rest of the team simply gave up and decided played dirty when they can't win clean against Japan. I feel bad for James. He should have risen to the level of Forlán, Batistuta, Suárez, Kaká, and replaced Valderrama as Colombian legend, but life is very unfair towards him.

Now the only Latin American representatives left are Uruguay and Brazil. I hope Uruguay will survive the upcoming onslaught from the world's most expensive football team. I know the odds are heavily unfavourable towards them. But the French needs to be solid too, as they are

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 07-07-2018, 00:07:38 »
Well done Belgium, but I don't feel very very convinced yet.

The defense is not very secure, conceding goals in a WC is not a great thing to do.

However, I love how they manage the ball on the counter, beautiful!, Hazard is so fast and pushes his way through, De Bruyne was brilliant, Lukaku is a very dangerous man, Fellaini is notorious...

But I'd still vote for England.

If I say I want England to win, I'll be lynched here.