Author Topic: Selfmade object has no texture  (Read 819 times)

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Selfmade object has no texture
« on: 15-11-2009, 14:11:55 »
I made a custom static object and imported it to fh 2. The problem is, that it has no texture. Not in the editor nor ingame. I made a colormap, detailmap and a normalmap.

-At which point in the process of exporting from 3ds-max did i make a mistake?

-Is the directory I set in the materials settings for the textures the final directory where the game will search for the textures?

-What settings do I have to choose when converting the textures into .dds files?

This is annoying because I managed to make it work a couple of month ago, but I dont know what I did different back than.

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
Re: Selfmade object has no texture
« Reply #1 on: 15-11-2009, 14:11:31 »
is that ingame?

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15-11-2009, 15:11:00 »
Yes

Edit:

It seems to be a problem with the textures because it works when I take fh 2 textures.

- What do I have to keep in mind when saving my texture as dds?

- How do I have to put my textures into fh2, that they will be loaded?
« Last Edit: 15-11-2009, 15:11:44 by Knitschi »

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15-11-2009, 15:11:17 »
Well you have the object in-game, which says to me that you didn't fail at creating your hierarchy. My bet is that you didn't set up your BF2 Exporter in 3ds Max correctly. Its important to do this so that the exporter chops off the texture paths and instead of looking

C:\Program Files\Battlefield 2\EA GAMES\.... etc. on your actual PC. It instead just goes straight to the mod folder

mods\fh2\objects\weapons\handheld\.... etc.

To check that its set up correctly open the exporter in 3ds Max and click on the run setup button. A dialog box will come up like so:

Make sure the appropriate mod paths are there, try again, and let us know what happens.

If that isn't the problem its most likely in your Materials where your error is.

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15-11-2009, 15:11:12 »
@ Archimonday:

I edited my last post while you were posting yours. Take a look at it.

I have the feeling that my textures are not loaded. I put them into a folder in the staticobjects folder of fh2 and put them in the same place in the "objects_statics_client.zip" and the "objects_statics_server.zip".

-Do I have to put them in both zip files?
-Is there anything else I have to change?

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15-11-2009, 15:11:44 »
The will be in the client.zip. But if it doesn't show up in the editor (which doesn't use the zip files) then the error is in your export, not the zips

You have to place the textures in the spot they are going to be when the mod is packed and running. So before you export place the textures in that staticmesh textures folder where you want them. Then point to that location in 3ds Max, export, and try again.

EDIT: And all of this should be in a single folder called Objects (the folder that the editor uses to find stuff)
« Last Edit: 15-11-2009, 15:11:01 by Archimonday »

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15-11-2009, 15:11:26 »
they have to be in both files of course. the meshes in client and the tweak in server. you can check that.

save detail textures as DXT5 with all Mipmaps. Normalmaps as DXT1 without alpha

you have to move you textures also in the packed folders. not only the mesh. Export your statics with fh2 textures and see if its work.

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15-11-2009, 15:11:56 »
The problem is solved!!!!  ;D

I used a color-texture with the size 1x1 . I changed it to the null texture in the france folder which is of size 8x8 and it worked. It seems that BF2 does not like textures of such a small size.

Now the wonderwaffle is ready for combat!  8)

Thanks for your time guys.
« Last Edit: 15-11-2009, 16:11:15 by Knitschi »