Author Topic: How can I record multichannel game-sound?  (Read 4823 times)

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
How can I record multichannel game-sound?
« on: 10-12-2012, 22:12:59 »
Hi dudes...

I want to record the multi-channel sound (at least 5.1) that I hear when I play FH2. Is that possible and if yes, do you know any free or unfree software that will do this?
A quick google search did not yield any results so I thought the video recording guys here might know the answer.
I want to do this so I can directly compare between diffrent driver and speaker settings and maybe post the results here in the forums.

Your help will be apreciated

Edit:
I tried Fraps, but the sound on the videos does not work. In stereo mode it is just silent and with the multi-channel button checked I VLC-player gives me an error message.
« Last Edit: 10-12-2012, 22:12:52 by Knitschi »

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
Re: How can I record multichannel game-sound?
« Reply #1 on: 11-12-2012, 00:12:35 »
Go in your audio options, select "recording" and activate stereo mix.
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-12-2012, 15:12:46 »
My settings are Windows 7 Sound, Multichannel in fraps. Then I choose the proper audio device in fraps. I my case my "Surround sound" Headset.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-12-2012, 20:12:32 »
@LHeureux:
I want 5.1 or 7.1 sound not stereo. But thanx anyway   :)

@NTH:
Here is what I set in Fraps:

When I try to play the recorded avi with VLC-player I get an error message that the audio format is not supported. When I record in stereo I don't get an error, but the sound doesn't work either.
Do I need the full version of fraps for this? What player do you use to play the avi files?

Edit:
It worked when I used another soundcard and windows media player. Not sure which was the thing that made it work. I will check it out tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 12-12-2012, 22:12:42 by Knitschi »

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-12-2012, 21:12:48 »
I used GOM player or Media player clasic - Home Cinema.
Check if your onboard sound card is messing with your recording.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #5 on: 14-12-2012, 12:12:24 »
Do you use onboard soundcard or do you have some other? I tried that with realtek onboard with multichannel and audacity showed the extra channels but apart of the front left and right they were silent.
CMP Gaming

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16-12-2012, 15:12:50 »
No my onboard card is deaktivated in the BIOS. The one that I used when it did not work, was an asus xonar d2x. Now I am using the creative soundblaster z. But sadly it only has 5.1 channels while the xonar has 7.1 and my goal was to record 5.1 sound and 7.1 sound for a demo and than directly compare it. But maybe 7.1 can not be recorded by fraps.  :(

Offline Grugen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03-04-2016, 19:04:23 »
@LHeureux:
I want 5.1 or 7.1 sound not stereo. But thanx anyway   :)

@NTH:
Here is what I set in Fraps:

When I try to play the recorded avi with VLC-player I get an error message that the audio format is not supported. When I record in stereo I don't get an error, but the sound doesn't work either.
Do I need the full version of fraps for this? What player do you use to play the avi files?

Edit:
It worked when I used another soundcard and windows media player. Not sure which was the thing that made it work. I will check it out tomorrow.

I had the same problem it seems it is a VLC glitch. Play the file with media player and it is fine. Another thing I'm trying right now is putting the file through "Handbrake"