Author Topic: Tank Free Look  (Read 1607 times)

Offline buddycole46

• View Profile
    • Website
Tank Free Look
« on: 15-10-2011, 19:10:50 »
Hey all

i was wondering if the tank free look can be made to be able to look around faster. currently i think its the same rate of speed of moving the main gun.  Think it would make it a little more useful and make more sense.  That is of course if it is not hard coded to be the same speed as the main gun move speed.

cheers.

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
Re: Tank Free Look
« Reply #1 on: 15-10-2011, 19:10:02 »
I'm fairly sure it's not the same speed as the turret. Perhaps you've taken the advice some people are giving and lowered your vehicle mouse sensitivity to decrease the "lag" you get when moving your turret around. Set it back to normal sensitivity (for example, the same as in the infantry tab) and you should get normal movement.

Offline buddycole46

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: 15-10-2011, 21:10:41 »
the sensitivity is what ever the default setting is. I do not get lag from the turret like i did when 2.4 first came out.

Either way, the free look i feel needs to be a little more rapid, since the tank commander would be about to move some what freely and quickly whether it be from the periscopes or from an open hatch.

Offline im_a_lazy_sod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16-10-2011, 06:10:00 »
How about being able to spot with tank free-look, rather than having to aim at them properly?

So annoying free-looking and seeing a tank behind me and having to turn the turret all the way around to spot the bugger

Offline HadrianBT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16-10-2011, 07:10:42 »
AFAIK you can spot, you just don't have the crosshair, so you have to use your best guess for the center of the screen. This also works if you are a passenger in an APC/truck/Kubel/tank.
Proud member of CWC dev team (voice-recording).
"im sorry,but you sound like an old grumpy man listening to rock music" AngryBeaver
"Some argue that the only thing in the world you cannot get used to is an icicle up yours, because it will melt" Kelmola

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16-10-2011, 07:10:27 »
Atleast my screen returns to look forward when I press Q.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16-10-2011, 09:10:11 »
yep, it does, but if you press q + AUTO spot fast enough, it will spot ;)

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16-10-2011, 10:10:03 »
Lightning's right, freelook speed isn't the same as the turret. Try it in the Tiger... ;)

It probably seems that way because it's technically not "free". It's dampened to a certain degree.

FWIW, I use the mouse to aim and my turret sensitivity is set to 0.3, and it feels virtually the same as 2.3 to me.

Offline IrishReloaded

• Leader of Irishforce
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16-10-2011, 14:10:00 »
requesting free look for Flak Vierling,
Qaud cal 50. carrier does have it.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16-10-2011, 16:10:03 »
requesting free look for Flak Vierling,
Qaud cal 50. carrier does have it.
don't forget the bofors

Offline bjack

• in_ur_base, campin ur planez
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17-10-2011, 03:10:44 »
You can spot from inside any vehicle with free look.  Just center the screen on the target, hold Q, and at that point, you will have that particular target acquired.  So from there, you can leisurely select auto spot, or even scroll around the comm rose, as your target is locked on, so to speak.   It won't matter where your camera reset to as you already locked your spot in.

Offline im_a_lazy_sod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17-10-2011, 17:10:06 »
Pity you can't keep the free-look view where it is when presing q :(

oh well, at least i know it works if i'm quick enough :P

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19-12-2011, 09:12:55 »
The tank free look feels slow, restrictive and unresponsive. You can't just look freely and turn at the same time, like in other vehicles. Must be cos I am used to the RO2 (and RO1/DH) style free look where u can pivot freely without pushing any buttons.

Is there any chance that the HT system would be implemented to tanks as well; as in the free look is the default function for the mouse when you are not ADS? And to turn the turret u would have to push a button. That would feel more natural and make more sense, cos at least I use like 99.9% of the time outside the turret to watch surroundings and not turning the turret so it feels backward to press extra button for a thing that you do most of the time anyways. Or am I just playing it differently than others?

Btw, are we going to see binoculars for tank commanders in the future? That way you would not need to turn the turret (or the whole Stug/JP) just to zoom in to some specific position.

And while we are on the tank subject, is there going to be a realistic way of setting the range for Axis tanks ever?

Offline Easy Eight

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19-12-2011, 19:12:23 »
Yes, looking freely + turning at the same time would be awesome (and more realistic).

Offline Master_of_Pain_25

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24-12-2011, 12:12:36 »
Sometimes the tank free look is unfair against infantry.
Sometimes there is a little obstacle (an hill or an object) between me and a tank, I can't see the top of the tank but the tank can see me, because the free look point of view is higher than the top of the tank, so is very hard to hide yourself from tanks.