Author Topic: The 'Tiger Ambient Sound' in FH1.  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Fearbefore.

• View Profile
The 'Tiger Ambient Sound' in FH1.
« on: 29-08-2009, 01:08:33 »
Right, been bugging me for a bit so I might as well make a post about it. In the last few weeks, as I find myself playing on PFC every night and quite often we play both Ramelle and Arnhem, I'm always Allied on those maps and I've noticed something a bit weird - whenever I'm burning around Arnhem with my Bren or mining the roads on Ramelle, it seems that every now and then, whenever an enemy gets into the Tiger tank (no matter where on the map that tank is) I hear a weird, creepy and quite awesome ambient/environmental sound, and I was just wondering if anyone had any information about it.

It's hard to describe if you've never noticed it, but I'll be just chilling at one of the flags on Arnhem at the start of the map, and then suddenly I'll be able to hear it, and it's almost like a warning that a Tiger is approaching. It sounds like a combination between random terrifying experimental music and tank tracks squeaking and clanking.

I'm only asking because I've been messing around with sound packs recently and I was wondering if it was intentional or some kind of glitch, or if everyone already knows about this and I'm just a bit slow.

Cheers

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
Re: The 'Tiger Ambient Sound' in FH1.
« Reply #1 on: 29-08-2009, 01:08:46 »
It's the V12 Maybach baby ;)
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29-08-2009, 01:08:33 »
I'm fairly certain that was added in Bratwurst's soundpack for FH1.  IIRC, it's ripped directly from Saving Private Ryan.

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29-08-2009, 01:08:50 »
I believe it is intentional.  The sound is taken from "Saving Private Ryan."

In the scene when they are in Ramelle-Neuville and the German armor and infantry start moving in from the outskirts, you can hear this same ambient effect before any of the German armor is seen on screen.

Offline Fearbefore.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-08-2009, 01:08:54 »
That explains it. Cheers.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #5 on: 29-08-2009, 04:08:21 »
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=1667.0

I was kinda drunk when I watched that El-Alamein movie from the above thread but I seem to remember that night time tank rush starting off with the squeaking and creaking before they heard the engines as well.  If it is really true to fact then I would love to see the squeaky creaky done with all tanks as there 1 or two grid away noise for future releases of FH2.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29-08-2009, 11:08:15 »
I concur... Not all tanks though... something... Not exactly as detail, but some squeeks and coos fro heavy tanks...

I also once asked about the tank shake thing... The effect you get standing next to a tank... Well, will be nice if you also got that subtle effect a bit further off from a tank, moreso for heavies... Will be nice to hear (and know) and feel the heavy tank before you actually see it :-)

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29-08-2009, 11:08:53 »
track sounds when the tank turns?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29-08-2009, 20:08:09 »
Sadly yes...The radio keeps playing

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #9 on: 02-09-2009, 18:09:03 »
I also once asked about the tank shake thing... The effect you get standing next to a tank...

Tank shake? I heard about this before, is it present in FH2? I've not come across it - by switching off that motion sickness thing is that why I don't experience this?
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02-09-2009, 22:09:15 »
Its more like a tank shiver actually... Kinda a feel of the viberation of the tank engine (It occurs even if the tank is stationary).. Its pretty cool, though grossly under-appreciated since you only get it right next to the tank and it might go unnoticed if the tank is moving (In which case you are also moving to keep up with the shakes...ya, you need to be THAT close)

I was hoping the same degree of shakes could be extended in range so that you can be standing, say 40 or 50 feet from a Panzer III and feel the shivers if you stand perfectly still... For a Tiger, up to a 100 or even 120feet, something you can get before the tank turns round the bend... A more realistic and yet just as dramatic effect as the squeeling and squarking... Unless, brutwurst can cook up something similar, but with less 'recording' to it... Perhaps intermitent squarks ever so often... Its a frigging big tank, it MUST have had some in motion