Author Topic: HSlan angled damage change  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Kev4000

• FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
HSlan angled damage change
« on: 31-03-2012, 21:03:17 »
Angle damage modifier has been reduced on HSlan serverside.
This affects how fast damage will dropoff when hitting enemies at an angle.
Anglemod wasn't without compromise. However, the benefits exceed the drawbacks tenfold.
The intention of this is to reduce the amount of shots which do no damage but otherwise should. As illustrated below, hitting this part would previously not do any damage due to the high angle. It should now do some damage, but little especially vs. heavy tanks.

The bad news is this may increase the chances of getting "sideshot the the front".
Technically the value controlling damage dropoff is changed from 1.75 to 1.35.

The change is very sublte, but sensitive. Give feedback on an overall impression, if noticeable at all. Do attempt to differentiate anglemod from network lag or other reasons your hit may not have done any damage. Attempt to glitch, by shooting King Tiger in roof armour etc. and especially do test AT rifles vs. tank turret tops.
« Last Edit: 31-03-2012, 22:03:08 by Kev4000 »

Offline Kev4000

• FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
Re: HSlan angled damage change
« Reply #1 on: 03-04-2012, 13:04:51 »
It isn't expected to be particularly noticeable.
Anyone not notice the change on Hslan?

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03-04-2012, 15:04:05 »
I honestly have not noticed any change, even if I have tried to look for it. Could be that I have not met so many wtf situations in vehicle combat. Just hunch though.

Edit: I've told about this change few times on server and asked people to comment here if they notice something weird or just want to confirm that it works well.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-04-2012, 01:04:44 »
 Since a buttload of us never play on the Euro servers, would it not be feasible to implement these changes to WaW?

the pubby crew for WOLF Thursday and WaW Fridays would definitely provide tons of input,
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Kev4000

• FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-04-2012, 12:04:05 »
Since a buttload of us never play on the Euro servers, would it not be feasible to implement these changes to WaW?

the pubby crew for WOLF Thursday and WaW Fridays would definitely provide tons of input,

Yes, can contact me on #fhmod in IRC for the files.
I also do wish to try the reverse - make it even higher and see if people notice a difference for worse or better.

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04-04-2012, 19:04:51 »
I didn't see any difference. Game feels pretty much the same.
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05-04-2012, 03:04:02 »
The problem is obvious, hitting the red part IRL, the shell would bounce into driver window and kill things inside. In game, the red part "absorb" the shell, then angle mod decide not to do any damage due to the high angle.

Offline CptdeS35

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12-04-2012, 18:04:21 »
You already succeed in making his bazooka rocket bounce on a Marder ? I do  :o
And I'm proud of it !
FH2 Dev (wait seriously ?)

Offline Mobilis_in_Mobili

• VC Firefly & Achilles Crew Apply Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19-05-2012, 03:05:48 »
It's pretty much the same - regardless of angle issues - the axis tanks (stug, Tiger, panther) can all one shot every allied tank except the heavy british MK; which makes for an imbalance when the Firefly and M10 (plus hellcat or whatever) still take multiple shots to take out most axis armor (medium - heavy).   

The Panzer 4 without the side armor additions is the rare medium armor exception; whereby the 75 sherman is roughly equivalent to the P4 at close to medium range.

As I said in an earlier post; if you want to keep beefing up the axis armor thickness/penetration capabilities; you should make 3 times as many weaker allied armor (shermans).
Breakfast of Champions: Tigers, Panthers, Pumas, Stugs, & Panzerfausts-on-Legs.

Offline dead_man1876

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26-07-2012, 10:07:14 »
The problem is obvious, hitting the red part IRL, the shell would bounce into driver window and kill things inside. In game, the red part "absorb" the shell, then angle mod decide not to do any damage due to the high angle.

As a conclusion the angle mod should only apply to the surfaces at the edges. I mean the sides, the top and the bottom of the vehicle. But I don't know if it is doable.