Author Topic: Not a Step Backwards: FH2 Update  (Read 30978 times)

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
Re: Not a Step Backwards: FH2 Update
« Reply #90 on: 17-01-2011, 00:01:05 »
and BF2 is already a 5 1/2 year old game engine.

not really a problem.

like Revoluzer said, it's the gamepolitics of many distributors or even devs themselves that won't allow FH2 devs to move on to another engine if they wanted to make something at least slightly similar to what FH2 is. (non-existing) mod support and engines not built for this. ok, I heard about those mods for Crysis and ArmA 2 but I just don't see a reason to move to another engine just because the game is "old"... because whenever they just move to another engine, most of their work would have to be done from sratch I believe and it would take just another couple of years to get one theater with a reasonable number of maps - but you could already call the game "old". Tbh, there is a difference between a game being old in 2000, game being old in 2005 and a game being 'old' in 2010 since the graphics are improving vastly and there's still less and less difference when it comes to the visual quality with each new title. And FH2 does look beautiful - that is when you play on high settings.

Offline hslan.totaler_humbug

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • hslan
« Reply #91 on: 17-01-2011, 00:01:43 »
As long as the game itself is great I don´t care for it´s age. Hell, I even played C&C2 half a year ago again, because it´s fun.
We need to be able, to throw Thermos out of Spotterplanes.

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 17-01-2011, 00:01:17 »
As long as the game itself is great I don´t care for it´s age. Hell, I even played C&C2 half a year ago again, because it´s fun.
Yup, like a play jedi outcast

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 17-01-2011, 01:01:14 »

not really a problem.

like Revoluzer said, it's the gamepolitics of many distributors or even devs themselves that won't allow FH2 devs to move on to another engine if they wanted to make something at least slightly similar to what FH2 is. (non-existing) mod support and engines not built for this. ok, I heard about those mods for Crysis and ArmA 2 but I just don't see a reason to move to another engine just because the game is "old"... because whenever they just move to another engine, most of their work would have to be done from sratch I believe and it would take just another couple of years to get one theater with a reasonable number of maps - but you could already call the game "old". Tbh, there is a difference between a game being old in 2000, game being old in 2005 and a game being 'old' in 2010 since the graphics are improving vastly and there's still less and less difference when it comes to the visual quality with each new title. And FH2 does look beautiful - that is when you play on high settings.

id move to frostbite if a chance was given.. with more than 64 players and better graphics, effects and destroyable terrain
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 17-01-2011, 01:01:27 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCFibtD3H_k

Työn orjat, sorron yöstä nouskaa, maan ääriin kuuluu kutsumus.
Nyt ryskyin murtuu pakkovalta, tää on viime ponnistus!
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Alakazou

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 17-01-2011, 02:01:31 »

not really a problem.

id move to frostbite if a chance was given.. with more than 64 players and better graphics, effects and destroyable terrain
Ok them, move to it, but the dev team will not move there if it didnt have moddable tool or Fh2 interest.

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 17-01-2011, 02:01:27 »

not really a problem.

Ok them, move to it, but the dev team will not move there if it didnt have moddable tool or Fh2 interest.

given.. this is why we wait and see for bf3.. fingers crossed but i forgotten hope with EA
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

Offline Alakazou

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 17-01-2011, 03:01:08 »
Even if had everything, I hope they will continue Fh2. Why, we  should need Fh3 ? Fh2 need some change and I know dev do their job so Fh2 will continue is road to perfection, but Fh3 would be a wasted of time, wasted of work, wasted of everything.

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 17-01-2011, 03:01:56 »
Freaking awesome  :)

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 17-01-2011, 05:01:48 »
Holy shit dude, really coold addition. I want to start killing T34's!

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 17-01-2011, 05:01:52 »
Didnt even know till now that there was a christmas update. I'm so used to them coming up in the general discussion forum :-/

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 17-01-2011, 08:01:49 »
Beautiful! Simply beautiful! Woohooo! :D Russia here we come!!!

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 17-01-2011, 08:01:26 »
I was rather expecting something that had not been published or shown in any form or shape. :-\

We know... but there is quite a difference between trainspotting some map on a server-listing site, than to publicly announce something :) We wanted this announcement to go out to everyone, and I am sure 99.9% of the visitors on FH2 website, didn't know about our future plans.

The fact that we won MOTY injected some motivation in to our devteam, and this announcement is made out of 100% love and gratification to all people who have been playing FH2 for the last three years.
I think most of all, this announcement can be seen as a proof of commitment from us, that we will continue updating the mod as long as we have players that make it all worthwhile :)

~Thank you all~

Secondly, the test server runs many weird maps, don't take those as "published" facts about what we work on. ;D

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 17-01-2011, 08:01:02 »
Put that way, that does make it that special. I for one was feeling blue, that I had seen the best of fh2 - thanks for the reassurance.

Ok, you noobs, start suggesting the obvious things like T34s, MIGs and katyushas :-D

Priestdk

« Reply #104 on: 17-01-2011, 09:01:28 »
I for one cant wait to use the 152 mm HE rounds that the beast killer can use, curently ingame the biggest boom or explosion i recall is the Arty 105 mm round, so compared to the 152 mm HE omg BIG BOOM!  :P :P :P :P :P wiping up the drooling under my chin.